Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by munchkin, May 13, 2010.

1. munchkin

munchkin PetForums Junior

My kittens are nearly 4 weeks old, and very active they have just learnt to climb out of box,have tried to put them in a deeper box but mother cat keeps moving them out again, very worried and don't know what to do. Mother cat doesn't like them out of the box, and seems to be pinning them down very roughly, and biting them, as soon as we put them back in the box, they have climbed out again, and as she won't accept them in any other box, believe me we have tried what do we do??, i'm worried tomorrow we will have dead kittens in the morning.

2. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

sorry I dont have any suggestions...

hope your kittens are ok xx

3. lemonpie

lemonpie PetForums Junior

Can you tape longer sides to the box? Not too high so mum can't get out, but enough to stop the little uns...

4. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

at almost 4 weeks they are nearly at weaning stage. have you tried putting them in something shallower so they can get in and out of the bed themselves? if you could try that and see how they are most kittens dont wander too far for too long then try and get back in with their siblings and mummy

5. munchkin

lemonpie, the cardboard box i put them in last nite was pretty high, they couldn't get out and mum got in, though i'd cracked it, she was feeding them in there and was in and out the box for over an hour went and checked them later and mum had got them all out again, the box was pretty tall so she would have had to jump out with them in her mouth.x

6. munchkin

ellie 8024, thats what we ended up doing they stayed in shallow box all nite, but wide awake and jumping all over his morning in the room, just found mum feeding them on the floor, and they are now sleeping huddled together, mum was ealier playing with the litle one, who was 1st to climb out, seemed a bit rough but perume they won't hurt their own???, just left them to it rather than interviene and went back to find mum feeding them all, on the floor:).
    As regards to weaning do you just leave food out in thier room and a litter tray and see what happens??, mum leaves them alot so think they might wean quite easily.
    thanks for advice and any with weaning would be appreciated.x

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's very common indeed for them to climb out of the box at four weeks, almost to the day. Regarding weaning, I just put food down for them (when Mum isn't there or she will eat it all), then if they don't want it I try again in a couple of days, and so on.

Liz

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yes, if you are feeding mum kitten food anyway they should soon start following her and muching away.

Remember the litter trays!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice