Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help for my dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kris M, May 22, 2010.

1. Kris M

Kris M PetForums Newbie

I have a gorgeous 3 year old cocker spaniel who is my whole life. However my neighbour has just informed me that whenever I leave the house my dog is barking, howling, and crying.

I work Monday to Friday, come home for him at lunch and I go out at the weekend to do shopping but other than that he goes with me.

I asked the neighbour how long it had been going on for and she said ages. I asked weeks? Months? and she couldnt really tell me.

My dog is well cared for. He is walked before i go to work, i leave him with toys, food, water, his bed and also a big space to run around in.

The neighbour informed me that it is not fair on my dog (Which i totally agree, but wish she had informed me months ago), she said that if it continues she will contact the RSPCA and report cruelty.

Basically What can i do? It would break my heart to rehome him but I would do whatever is best for him. How would i go anout doing this? Or before i try and go down this route has anyone got any strategies for dogs suffering from separation anxiety?

Thanks

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Try leaving a radio on for him. You could also hire a dog walker to go during the day and the exercise might tire your dog our enough to sleep in the afternoon.
    Make sure there aren't things that could spark off the barking, for example, we realised that the milkman was setting our dogs off, so I now leave the kitchen blind closed and have asked the milkman to leave the milk just inside the gate, so he isn't approaching the house at all. I have also put a post box outside my garden.
    I leave kongs and plastic bottles filled with kibble to keep them distracted.

Good luck, I hope things work out.

3. Kris M

Kris M PetForums Newbie

I already leave a radio on for him and he has a tick tock clock in his bed from when he was a puppy. He also has an activity ball with treats inside but he never uses it. I always come home to the treats still inside and then he decides to play with it when I am home.

He is bound to hear people going in and out of doors from the neighbours but i wont be able to eliminate that.

Thanks for your advice

4. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

hiya - i had the same problem with my dog

solution - bark collar - just sprays citronella when the dog barks etc (its completely harmless)...

my dog missed me dreadfullly and yes i had the same problem - neighbours reporting us - so we left the video camera on and realised for outselves how bad it was....

£70 later - bark collar solved everything - now my dog is quiet and happier as she knows im going to come back and dosent need to bark and create.

pets at home stock them - just ont buy the one with the button - the automatic spray you want....

hope that helps - it worked for my dog so much that 4 weeks on the neighbours thought we got rid of the dog :eek:

(shes that quiet)

5. Kris M

Kris M PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your advice. So if the dog barks this just automatically sprays the scent out? And it wont hurt him?

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

7. _Sara_

_Sara_ PetForums Member

Bit of a strange question but how do u bring it up with your neighbors that their dog is wining all day? from 6am - 4pm. They have been on holiday for a week and its been lovely :thumbup: I never usually talk to them as they are extremely ignorant and rude :frown: I don't want to report them (not that i would know who to report them to?) But I cant see them listening :(

8. rona

rona Guest

How about doggy day care? :)

9. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

dosent hurt at all. they just dont like the smell and the spray.

Just put the collar on (after filling it up with citronella or the non scent one whichever)....and dont make a big fuss of it at all

they do get used to it - millie hates it i wont lie to you. but she does not bark...and i get to keep my dog.

if you can use doggy daycare when your at work its better - howevver for me im at uni so im out and about back and too.

good luck :)

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Do NOT use a bark collar!! :mad:

Your dog is stressed and upset that you have left him, therefore you will be punishing him for feeling like this :(

There are a heap of threads on here about dealing with seperation anxiety.

My Dixie use to have SA realy bad but now she is fine I wish I had time to sit and type it all out for you but I have to pack to go see my daugher.

Do a search on the forum for seperation anxiety and give it a try. Print off the info and take it to you neighbour and say you are trying to deal with it, also tell he she did Not help (could have made it worse) be leaving it so long to tell you.

The rspca will NOT take you dog away, especially if you explain the neighbour only just told you and you need time to work on it (they should know this though) BUT- if she complains to the cpuncil you may have trouble on your hands as they can force you to get rid of the dog (even if you own your home) so keep on the good side of your neighbour and explain the steps you are going to take.

lorilu likes this.
  11. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

My dogs much better now. settled, quieter. It was either that or i get my dog taken away from me.

I hadnt got the time to get in a behaviourist before the council would get involved.

There are other methods.... but if its that bad - needs must. £70 or i loose my dog.

12. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Some SA is incurable. I have used a bark collar - it didn't work. It depends how stressed your dog is, but personally I wouldn't go the bark collar route. There is a book which I got that is purely for SA - I'll try to find the author etc for you.

13. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

someone i know used one of the citronella sprays as he was reported to the council it worked a treat.

I would also try and tape/video if your dog is barking as much as your neighbour says he is. Ime sure if i had to listen to a dog all the time as she is implying then i would know exactly how long ide been listening to it as in months or weeks.

14. Kris M

Kris M PetForums Newbie

I was hanging my washing out this morning when they got out of their car. Max barked at them and i told me to come hear, which he did and the barking stopped immediately.

The neighbour then said that do you no THAT DOG does that from the minute you leave until the minute you get in. I asked her how long etc and she said ages. I said i would have appreciated you telling me sooner as he is obviously very anxious and i dont want that. She also said that she is surprised that I dont know as she reported it to the council but i have recieved nothing from them, no phone call, letters or visits.

I will try anything to keep Max so next week i am going to try various methods posters have suggested to me.

Unfortunately it will be so hard finding out if they work as I was unaware he was in this state at all.

And i dont get on with my neighbours at all and the walls are thin as paper. I can even hear their conversations :(

15. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

exactly why i had to resort to this! ^

are you sure that the neighbour complaining isnt mine?! :lol:

sounds identical.... i can hear them yawning.... their convo's...... what they had for tea etc (thats how thin the walls are)

try a radio/television/ i even though of recording my voice saying "quiet" and sticking it on repeat :lol: (i didnt)!

i stand by the bark collar. we have used them with other dogs....

16. leashedForLife

Ur dog is THREE Years-old... waiting until now to give an ultimatum is a really crass act, IMO. :mad5: that is hardly *neighborly* and is not the least BIT helpful, as threats to ACT * NOW are just salt in a wound - of this neighbors making.

* they waited Months if not Years to tell U about it
    * they want a long-standing supposed **problem** solved in days - Or Else

i agree with the advice to videotape the dog after U have left, to see precisely what is going on.
    i also agree that MORE * STRESS is precisely what the dog does *not!* need, and would never use a citronella-collar to punish the dog for distress - the very idea is loathsome.

since this woman SAT on her supposed knowledge of the dogs distress for so long, i would tell her that it is unfair to expect immediate results - but BEFORE i spoke to her, i would detail in a letter that i sent to the local-council that -
    * i was just told of this - give the DATE + TIME
    * i am actively working to solve the problem
    * it would have been better to know about it earlier, BEFORE it was an entrenched habit - and that her refusal to share that crucial info means that she has made the problem worse, not better; she has no right to insist upon instantaneous solutions to a problem that she has massively contributed to create, as a vice.

can U videotape OUTSIDE Ur home?
    teasing the dog may be one reason he is so distraught.

* setback from doors + windows
    * a crate >> IF! << he is accustomed to one
    * all food delivered from busywork objects - stuffed/frozen Kongs, kibble in a Buster-cube, etc
    * CALMATIVES -
    see Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - dog body-language - and why it matters so much...

* do U listen to music when at home?
    a radio on an all-music channel or a cable-TV channel of all-music, with no loud commercials, abrupt announcers, HATE-talk, angry discussions, etc, would be good...
    but if U never listen to music or the music U listen to is high-stress:
    heavy metal, thrash, rap, etc - then SKIP this step.
    white-noise between stations at a low-volume can help mask exterior sounds for the dog.

** making ALL arrivals + departures extremely low-key, with no good-bye when U leave and no reunion mania when U come home, also helps hugely -
    if the dog spends their day looking forward to a highly-emotional peak when U return, it only heightens the contrast between when U are HOME, and when U are GONE - U need to minimize that contrast.

** de-coupling departure cues from actual leaving is another good thing to do; slip on a jacket, sit to watch TV.
    pick up yer keys, pocket them and have a cup of coffee. ANYTHING that is part of the chain of events that mean, i am going to leave in 30, 20, 15, 10... needs to be detached from actually going, including exiting the door -
    go out? COME * BACK, in less than 30-secs.

karen overall DVM has a highly-detailed protocol for relaxation, and another for decoupling departure cues, published on-line.

during the process to re-train the sep-anx IF * INDEED there is sep-anx, the dog cannot be allowed to practice this panic-attack behavior -
    but if he is free in the house, over 90% of true sep-anx involves attempts to escape, concentrated on ripping near doors, window-sills, and other escape points.
    so i think there is a chance this is early, vocal only...

nonetheless U need to get him OUT of the house to human company (dog daycare, etc), or have human-company come to HIM in the house, so that he cannot practice getting distressed during the B-Mod period.
    a pet-sitter, a neighbor U can trust NOT to upset or tease the dog, a relative or friend, a retiree who loves pets + would like some spare ca$h, etc.

hang in there - and if U can post a LINK to the video, we would love to see what he is up to, while U are gone.
    happy B-Mod,
    --- terry

17. leashedForLife

*patricia mcConnell* has a booklet called i;ll be home soon dealing with NOTHING but sep-anx.

???
    where does the dog sleep at night?
    if it is ON the bed with U, he needs to get off the bed immediately -
    6 to 8-hours side by side only underlines the contrast when U are gone.

a crate in the master bedroom for him, or a short tether with a bed/mat
    Tethered to Success
    will keep him in the room for reassurance, but OFF the bed to limit access -
    the tether need only be 18-inches between the clips at either end, and he should be out of the traffic path
    so he is not going to be trod on or trip U.
    screwing an eye-bolt into the baseboard + clipping the double-ended cable to it is simple + cheap; the small hole is easily filled,
    if this is a rental.

this is fixable; don;t let them agitate U; TALK to the council, but more important, SEND that letter, with the date + time of when she informed U of this supposedly long-term problem.
    don;t let them tease the dog, and do not leave him out for 2-mins ALONE in the yard - go with him, even (especially) at night or in foul weather - give them no excuse to whine about excessive barking.

hang on,
    --- terry

18. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

Aww this must be a real worry!

We are getting a puppy shortly and it will be left alone a few hours whilst i work (not many as cutting to part time, but prob 3 hours on mondays and wednesdays till my parents get to my house)

Id hate to think my dog was upset and anxious whilst i was out!

I know dog walkers dont charge the earth maybe that would be a good option but obviously if the dog has seperation issues then that is something that needs adressing .

Id look into getting advice off a dog behaviourist that can come and assess your dog and see what help they can offer.

I would def try and tape what is happening though as you neighbour may just have a been in their bonnet and the dog might not be making much noise at all!

My mums neighbour provokes the dog on the other side of them just to set the dog off it drives my mum mad but she wont complain to the council as it will be the dog owner that gets into trouble and it isnt their fault!

19. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

20. Kris M

Kris M PetForums Newbie

Max has never slept in my bed or in my room. He has a very large cage which he sleeps in at night (Shut in) and I have never had a problem with him in the cage, no crying or whinning.

During the day while I go to work he still has his cage although i leave it open so he can have the run of a very large kitchen and dinning room.

I leave the radio on during the day for him just now and this is what i listen to when i am at home.

He has never done any damage to my home so far. No doors scratched, bins raided or things chewed.

I am sure this hasnt been going on for 3 years as my neighbours would have mentioned it sooner as they are grumpy and very hostile.

Whenever Max sees them he barks at them. He absolutely hates them. I can see why, he must sense they vibes. They have a young child who Max obviously hears and also an older child who tormented max with a water gun when max was a puppy.

Hence why he is now never left outside alone.

I really appreciate all the advice i am getting though thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice