Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help for goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Carla Louise Purcell, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Carla Louise Purcell

Carla Louise Purcell PetForums Newbie

I have no idea what is wrong with goldfish. Red blotches have started to appear on her body, she is generally unhappy and staying at the top of the tank with her fins clamped. She has also been rubbing herself on the side of the tank. Water parameters are all fine so it isn’t ammonia burn. I have started treatment with the API but not sure if it’s the right stuff. Any help appericeated. upload_2021-9-16_17-35-54.jpeg upload_2021-9-16_17-38-54.jpeg upload_2021-9-16_17-38-29.png

Attached Files:

2. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

It does sound like an ulcer of some kind. I think you're giving the right treatment and hope it helps x

It's very distressing when you don't know the actual cause

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under the circumstances.

Picture's a bit too blurry to tell if it's an ulcer, but I don't think it is.

In order to help us to help you, could you answer these questions please? I know it sounds like the Spanish Inquisition, but the more information we have, the better able we are to help you.

Could you give us the actual results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, also GH and KH if you have them, and the type of kit used (test strips or liquid based test kits). One person's fine is another's :eek: ;)

How big is the tank? And the filter?

How long has it been set up, did you cycle it first? (Cycling involves adding a source of ammonia such as pure household ammonia or fish food to simulate the fish waste and growing the colonies of bacteria that deal with the fish waste). More about the Nitrogen Cycle here: https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-nitrogen-cycle.527072/

How long have you had the fish, and how many do you have? What species/breeds?

When was the last time you did a water change, and how much did you change? Did you use dechloronator?

4. Carla Louise Purcell

Carla Louise Purcell PetForums Newbie

Hi tank is 240 litres. All fish a common goldfish 4 of them apart from a pleco. The fish in question is 2 years old. Only new addition that has been made is a pleco. Tank has been cycled for 4 weeks and fish have been in 3 (it was a tank upgrade). I also added good bacteria into the water. I don’t have the actual results as it’s a liquid test kit that you add drops to and I tipped them away. I can retest tomorrow. Added a picture of the top of the filter below. It’s a unit of a thing, fills a whole cupboard. Weekly water changes with tap safe.

upload_2021-9-16_22-18-38.jpeg

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a feeling you knew what you were doing, but had to ask. :Bag Filter's actually on the low side, turning over just over 8x the tank volume per hour (for any lurker reading, goldfish tanks require filters designed for tanks twice the size of the one they're in, and 4x tank volume is a bit on the slow side), but it has the necessary capacity.

I'm sure you know Commons are aka Comets and are better off in ponds, but there's time for that.

Any sharp edges in the tank that the fish could have caught itself on?

You did increase aeration when you added the Melafix, didn't you?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice