Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

URGENT HELP, first cat not happy with second cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Tanyar20, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Tanyar20

Tanyar20 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!!
    So, I decided to get a second cat to keep company to my first cat. My first cat Mimí, female 3yr, just hisses and growls to the kitten (male, 4 months). The kitten goes always and leaves her space, he has no problems in understating what to do.
    I keep them separated when I’m not at home, the kitten stays in a different room and Mimí has the whole house for herself.
    I’ve noticed Mimí is eating very very little and this morning she vomited (liquid, no food or hairballs).
    I’m getting very worried. Can you tell me your experiences and if this ever happens to you?

2. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I tag another forum member who can explain how to introduce your cats.
    @chillminx can you help please?

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Tanyar20 and welcome :)

It sounds as though Mimi doesn't want the company of another cat and was happy on her own. Not all cats like living with other cats, and if they have been on their own since leaving their cat mum they have got used to being an only cat.

If Mimi is eating very little she is probably getting an over-production of acid in her tummy hence why she is vomiting bile. Can you feed her little and often? e.g. 4 or 5 meals a day. And do not feed her anywhere near the kitten. Mimi needs her own space.

I would suggest you separate Mimi and the kitten all the time for now, and let the kitten stay in his safe room. Ideally you need a mesh screen in the doorway of the kitten's safe room, so the two cats can see each other, read each other's body language, hear each other, smell each other's scent and get accustomed to each other in "safe mode".

The screen should be the height of the door so the cats can't climb over it. Pet gates are no use for the purpose of introductions as cats can jump over them and a kitten can squeeze through the bars. Mesh screens can be made at home using white wood for a frame and birdcage wire for the mesh. Use industrial staples to fix the mesh on the frame.

Or you can buy a mesh screen with hinges and fit it in the doorway. Add a bolt or hook and eye fastener to keep it closed. This type of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/vidaXL-Hin...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

(Note there are different sizes, so measure the doorway so you get one to fit)

It may take a few weeks or even a few months before Mimi is willing to accept the kitten from the gradual exposure of seeing him through the mesh screen.

But be prepared for the possibility that she may not accept him at all. If this happens you will either need to keep the 2 cats separate permanently by dividing your house in half with a door. Or else re-home the kitten.

Right now I would take Mimi to the vet to be checked over in case she is ill. She may have a stress-related illness due to her anxiety about the presence of the kitten.

Is Mimi using her litter tray normally for pee and poo? Any frequent visits to the litter trays, and not passing much, or straining to pass urine? If so she could have cystitis, due to the stress of having the kitten in the house.

If you can keep the kitten in his safe room (and you spend lots of time keeping him company in his room) so Mimi has the rest of the house for herself all the time (for now) she may start to feel a bit better. And may start eating properly again. I hope so. :)

Please let us know how things go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice