Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent help! 2 week old abandoned kittens.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Heavenleigh, May 19, 2010.

1. Heavenleigh

Heavenleigh PetForums Senior

Afternoon all,
    Long story short, a friend of a friend bought a british blue female kitten last year in the hopes of breeding moggies from it and selling for profit.
    It didn't go as she planned and from her first litter only (in her words) made £100 from 4 kittens.
    She said she was going to get her cat 'done' but never got round to it :mad: and two weeks ago her cat gave birth to another 5 kittens. :crying:
    She refused to have a litter tray as she didn't like the smell and of course the poor cat had to pee somewhere so started urinating behind their expensive sofa!
    Cutting to the chase my friend was round this afternoon for coffee and told me that said friend of friend had decided that she was going to let her husband dispose of the kittens (he races pigeons and thinks nothing of ringing their necks) I was mortified and without thinking offered to take the mother cat and kittens (even though i already have 4 cats of my own) She refused to give the mother cat away, and worried about the fate of the kittens i have ended up with them (couldn't have slept wondering what would have happened to them.)
    Now they are only 2 weeks old today obviously still only feeding from mum and too tiny to fend for themselves.
    Where do i go from here?
    Open to all and any options i'm worried sick and pulling my hair out here.

Leigh xx

The Twins likes this.
  2. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Omg!! Thats awful! :mad: Is there no way that she will give the mum to you until they are on solids at least?! Many people have had to hand rear kittens and its very hard! If not then take them to a vets straight away I would say and get help there!

Thats all I can suggest Im afraid! I am sure someone will be along soon with some advice for you!

I can believe that someone could do that! It makes me so mad! :mad:

Its not the cats fault that she got pregnant again!

Good luck with them! I hope you can do all you can for the poor babies! Well done you for saving them!

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

4. tagalong

tagalong PetForums Senior

you really do need the mother-for her sake and the kittens -she is very likely to get mastitis as she will be full of milk -the babies will need to be hand reared which with 5 is hard work ( I've been there !!) you will need to bottle feed until they wean at 4-5 weeks and they need to be kept warm and emptied after feeding .
    Could you not get her to agree to let you borrow the mum until they are older-maybe she will let you keep her -people who do this make me so mad :mad:

5. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

I tell you what why cant these people be closer to me!! :mad: I am sorry but I think I would take the mum whether she wanted me to or not! (my OH would help!)

6. Heavenleigh

Just rang my friend and told her to get in contact with the woman and beg for the mum to come until they are at least 4-5 weeks old, I have told her i will return the mum after then (may not though ;) ) My vet is open until 8 so am going to have to take a trip through there as well, i have only had them a couple of hours when will they be due to feed? and my gorgeous Buffy has been cleaning them and snuggling up with them even though she has no milk :lol:

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

You must have Mum! Mum will be in terrible distress already because of being separated from her kittens. If she won't agree, threaten to call the RSPCA - I've little time for them (and if you do call them, I'd make very sure you don't let them anywhere near the kittens - seriously, take them to someone else's house and deny all knowledge of them) but the threat ought to be enough.

They need to be fed at least every four hours. It won't hurt them if they miss a couple of feeds right now though, until you get Mum. But you certainly need to have Mum by tomorrow at the very latest, the kittens will be terribly hungry by then. Tell your friend to emphasise the likelihood of Mum getting mastitis, the threat of a vet bill ought to make the wretched woman do the right thing surely.

Some unsuspecting breeder may have sold this woman the cat in good faith - or perhaps not, perhaps the cat comes from an unregistered breeder.

I'd be inclined to suggest that, if you manage to get the mother cat, she "escapes and gets run over", as long as the present owner doesn't know where you live .....

Assuming you manage to get Mum, you might need her to share the kittens with Buffy - cats can't count so as long as you can remove kittens without them making too much noise, you'll be able to sneak one off to see Buffy occasionally if she has gone all gooey over them ;)

Liz

8. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I agree - threaten to call the RSPCA etc - they need their mum!! Good on you for helping out, sounds an awful situation - how anyone could ring a kittens neck is beyond me, its evil!! :mad:

9. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

First of all just wanted to say hello Leigh :D We went to school together! ;) (Jo P).

Secondly, who was it that did this? That's just cause I'm nosey :D

You've had some excellent advice. Do you have some milk formula, and can you get some. Please say, cause if push comes to shove I can get my hubby to bring some over to you, it will take a couple of hours though. Is there anything else you need? do you have feeding bottle or anything?

Like I say let me know and I'll see what we can do. I'd offer to take two and see if Rilly would take them with her 4, but I'm not sure it would work, and also I'm worried about the health implications for my lot. As presumably she also hasn't kept up with jabs and what not. Plus if it didn't work it's a fair old drive to bring them back should you manage to get hold of the queen.

Jo xx

10. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

You'd be surprised what pigeon owners will do. My dad races them and I have known him do some despicable things to cats while growing up. It's part of the reason I keep cats now, as if to say "up yours" :D We have fallen out a few times over that and his views on birds of prey. Thankfully I don't think he would do any such things these days.

11. snail_love

snail_love PetForums Member

wow i think its really nice that you took the kittens in! i just thought id reply to boost the thread :). Sorry but i cant help :(. I have no experience. Everybodys replies sound great, i hope you can get the mummy cat though!

12. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

OMG WTF!!!! What person would do such a thing to defenceless animals.:mad::mad:

Report her to the RSPCA definately, even if she does let you have the Mum temporarily. No litter tray for an indoor cat - is she completely off her trolley?

The woman shouldn't be keeping cats.:mad::mad::mad:

Rant over.

Good luck with the kittens. I can't offer you actual support (have no experience with kittens) but i will offer you moral support in bucket loads.

13. Heavenleigh

Thank you all for your support,
    'woman' in question is thinking over whether to give me mum (on loan) Have been to my vets (30 min drive each way) and they were lovely have come home with cimicat and bottles, plus feeding instructions, need to take them in tomorrow to be checked over themselves (didn't want to traumatise them any more today)
    Have prepared a box for them and have a hot water bottle (one of the kids christmas ones with reindeers on it) filled and under a fluffy blanket which they are snuggled up against.
    Buffy is still playing surrogate mummy even though she has no milk she is cleaning their rear ends and lying next to them keeping them warm, not even batting them off if and when they try to suckle.
    It's going to be a long night ,,,more so that i have 4 children to look after single handedly and two are poorly at the moment and up most of the night, but you know what? that is actually a good thing. I am used to sleepless nights and doing everything for myself so I'm starting to feel these kittens are in with a fighting chance whether mummy comes or not xx

Leigh xx

14. Purrrrfect

Purrrrfect PetForums VIP

As a lot on here know i rescue and rehome
    unwanted and abandoned cats and kittens in and around Derbyshire.
    If you can get mum then i am happy to take them
    i am not that far away from you. If she refuses
    to give up mum for a few weeks then either report her
    to cpl or the rspca or if all else fails i can take them and rear them.
    They need feeding and toileting every 2 hours.
    I have a feeding bottle and a tin of Lactol kitten milk.
    I do hope they can be reunited with mum.
    Pm me for my number and we can take it from there.

Shelly.

#14 Purrrrfect, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  15. Heavenleigh

Hi Shelly, and thank you for your response,
    I am still praying right now that i can get mum (even if only in the short term).
    I have had a couple of litters before and feel if i can get mum to me then i can deffinately cope and do all i can for them.
    If i cant get mum back then that is another story and all offers of help are genuinely appreciated and will be taken up apon.
    Thank you again, and i'm sure i will be back later when i know exactly what is going on.

As for calling the RSPCA, I used to donate monthly through direct debit until i read into the facts of how they actually worked.
    Dont get me wrong if i have to, i will call them, but i am so disillusioned by the way they work it will be a last resort.

Thank you to all again, and fingers crossed i get mum xx

16. Tje

Tje Banned

Geez, what a horrific story.

I’d give her till tomorrow morning to hand over the mother cat… if she doesn’t then report her. Even if you do get the mother cat on loan I would still ring the RSPCA and tell them this whole story… if that mother cat goes back to her… it doesn’t bear thinking about the life she will have. And if you don’t hand the mother cat back (which I would totally understand), it won’t really solve anything because a person like this will just go and buy another kitten-machine.

You seem to have everything under control regards feeding…

And Buffy has, by the sounds of things, got their toileting under control…

They have a hot water bottle… (silly question, but the box they are is big enough that the water bottle doesn’t cover move than half of the ground space in the box? They have to be able to get away from the heat, should it be too warm)

Check their weights tonight… note it down, check again tomorrow am (same time as the pm weighing) and note that down, then repeat daily…. Weight is a great early alert system to potential health problems.

You sound sorted… hats off to you for stepping up to the plate and helping these kittens.

17. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Sounds like Buffy will be a great help :D

Good luck! xx

18. Heavenleigh

Tje:
    The whole rspca thing scares me, i really don't want her to have anymore animals (i know she has at least 2 dogs as well as the cat) and never walks the dogs ( a pedigree lab and a pedigree yorkie both with papers)
    Believe me i will report if i need to/ no scrap that i need to report, has anyone got any experience of doing this? I know it will make my life hell in a small town where everyone knows everyone else.
    I know it sounds coward like but i have children in the same schools as hers and yes i can have my morals but not in this life time would i want my children to suffer for something i did (no matter how right it was) I feel between a rock and a hard stone.
    leigh xx

19. Heavenleigh

Oh and Tje,
    Concerning the box and hot water bottle question, they are in a huge ex-wedding dress box (my sister-in-law) works in a bridal shop and the box is huge and shallow with the hot water bottle on one side xx

20. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

What an awful situation :mad:this woman is despicable and should definately be reported it makes me so cross. I really hope that you get the mother by tomorrow but hats off to you for what you are doing. You are a marvellous person and it sounds like the kittens are in great hands. keep us posted x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice