Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

URGENT GOLDFISH PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Collins Femovich, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Collins Femovich

Collins Femovich PetForums Newbie

left my goldfish with my parents for a while I had things to do at school. I came home to find the he had fin rot and was in kind of rough shape (I was furious). He did swim around still and eat when we fed him so I immediately went out and bought a new tank and gravel completely resetup a new tank dechlorinated and everything. He was doing all right just swimming around relaxed okay. The next day I went out and got some melafix medicine from the store. Everyone recommended it to me and so I trusted the recommendations and wanted to help my little guy. I added the recommended dose the tank and went to sleep. I had more than enough oxygenation with the bubble stone and a filter running without carbon. I woke up today and he's sitting at the bottom of this tank mouth opening and closing. He won't move or eat he is just laying down there. Would it be best to move him to A temporary quarantine tank of clean water without the medicine? Or is he just best to stay there while I continue to treat him? This is very urgent as I'm worried for his life please respond quickly. I love this little guy.

Was it the medicine? Did I kill Dart? I am so worried.

2. Collins Femovich

Collins Femovich PetForums Newbie

Dart has passed away. I believe the medicine killed him. Stay away from melifix.

3. danielled

danielled Guest

New tanks need a fishless cycle for at least 6 to 8 weeks.

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Sorry about your fish :( Seems unlikely it was the melafix, though - it's been known to cause issues with labyrinth fish and pencilfish, but not goldies to my knowledge. Seems more likely there were underlying issues that were exasperated by the stress of a move to a new tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice