Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent!!! Gerbil advice

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Acacia86, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi all, i really would appreciate some advice about breeding Gerbils. No not for me! I did want to but have thought about it logically and decided not to.

But my friend has 3 girls and 1 boy. The boy is a fair bit older, she is not sure what age but certainly 3 or more. The girls are about 6 months.
    Anyway all the gerbils are kept in the same room on a low table. Girls in one tank, boy in the other.
    Her son had a little party for his Birthday today and just now has phoned me saying me she was going to feed the Gerbils she found a girl in with the boy :eek: :eek:

Obviously one of the children had put her in. What does she do?? She has taken the girl out and has her in a little travel cage while i attempt to found out what to do!!!! Does she put her back with the girls? Could she be pregnant? And is is even safe to just put a girl with a boy like that? :eek:

This is the reason my males and females are completely seperated! Boys down, Girls upstairs now!! And they can't be reached by inquisitive little hands!

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

She should be ok to put the girls back in together, I see no problem with it. Just tell her to put the male somewhere else entirely. If he's that old, hopefully he won't have managed to do his sexy thing. I'd just say keep an eye on the girl and if she does start to swell then expect the pitter patter of tiny feet :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks! What if she is pregnant? Will the other girls kill the babies? Will she need to be seperated?
    Is 6 months too young? And how come they didn't fight? I know that males and females can live together and raise babies together but they were literally just thrown together!!

Sorry for all the questions but i really don't know much at all about breeding rodents!

P.S She has learnt her lesson now and they will be in seperate rooms now!!

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

If she has babies she will probably need to be separated, I don't know I'm not an expert on breeding gerbils. If she is pregnant there's nothing that can be done about it if she is too young. I;d say just watch for if she starts swelling up/ nipples are more prominent/nesting and if she does then get ready for babies. Marcia will be on before long to advise you properly, she knows her stuff :D

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thank you!! She is back with the girls now.

6. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I'd be very careful. The other females may kill any pups that come along. Only the dominant female is allowed to have pups.
    Females come into heat every 4-6 days so it doesn't mean that she is def pregnant.

If she is pregnant however, most females will start to show at roughly 17-18 days and they will usually give birth anytime between day 23 and day 27 :)

6 months isn't too young. I start breeding my gerbils from 5 months of age :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice