Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

urgent - four week old kittens in serious trouble

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lizward, May 10, 2010.

1. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It may be too late by the time there are any replies, but this is the story from the owner

Three kittens suffering from this out of a litter of seven

{mum} has had antibiotics? [for mastitis]

One is just limp
    another is not holding his head up as its trying to walk
    the other is just laying there, when it moves about it doesn't seam to know where its going.

I cant think of how they would have got poisoned, they are being bottle fed, but they are doing poos and everything. I have kept them in the bathroom, cleaned the floor with mild soapy water, they have not been in contact with anything apart from, their mum, kitten formula and I leave kitten food out but they have not touched this yet. This has come on suddenly?

Its like their brains are no longer working....

[this has happened] Within the last 2-3hrs. They go from being disorientated with no real control over their limbs to being very limp. Have spoken to local vets and they say not a lot they can do but we should just try nursing them and keep hydrated. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Liz

2. Slave2Many

Slave2Many PetForums Junior

Some kittens can get an infection in the womb, some of the kittens survive, some do not make it. I have had this in the past and there is nothing you can do...... some don't make it through the night and some make it to 6/7 weeks and then are gone. It is heartbreaking, especially if you have been hand rearing.

It could be something like this. I took my very first kitten to the vets due to fading kitten syndrome and £200 later, he faded away.... I didn't know how to feel after that bill!! The queen then went on to have really nice kittens (and is about to drop any day now again).

The worst thing I hear quite often is 'I'll let her have one litter and then spay them' (people with intent, rather than an ooops litter) If only they knew what could happen if it all goes wrong......

(((hugs))) stay strong for the other kittens.

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this.

Can't offer any advice sorry but wanted to wish you well.

4. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Ive never seen or heard of this myself but i hope and pray the little ones make it

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

update: all three kitens are fine, the one that was limp and she thought was dying was climbing her legs this morning.

I guess they must have got their heads bumped on the door when she went into the room - but how odd that it was three of them!

Liz

6. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

So glad to hear that all kittens are fine. phew! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice