Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Chinchillagirl, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Chinchillagirl

Chinchillagirl PetForums Junior

Hi all,I cannot believe I am writing this ,but after losing a kitten to FIP 3 months ago; my darling Turkish Angora Milo is very sick & it looks very possible he too has got FIP.He is only 15 months & a very big strong boy,however on saturday night he looked very poorly & on sunday morning he looked much worse.The vet said he had a very high temperature & gave him Metacam.
    On monday they did a barrage of tests .The FIP comes back in a week but many things such as his white blood cell count was double the normal :( This was similar to but not as severe as Martys results back in April.His counts were thousands over the normal & all his organs were shutting down,which is why I had to put him to sleep.
    I have Milo in isolation from his four other feline friends which they all find terribly upsetting...
    I have to wash my hands between every going between rooms & even change clothes.
    He is eating the tiniest amount of food if I warm it but is not drinking much.I am giving him antibiotics & Gluclyte by syringe.(not happy at all !)

I am sponging his ears & paws to cool him down & grooming him has really perked him up & he started grooming after 3 days.

What I am worried about is that he has only passed very yellow coloured urine but has not passed any faeces since saturday.I have given him a tiny bit of Katalax & am massaging him but to no avail.I don,t know what I can do to help him.....

I have discussed with the Vet what will happen if the test reults come back with FIP (which is highly difficult to diagnose).As I have learned it is 99.9 % fatal.Not only would it be a devastating blow if this is the case with Milo ,but she also confirmed my greatest fear that all my babies are at risk.The thought of this is too much to cope with.She told me if it is an FIP diagnosis then I can choose to put him on interferon....I'm hoping its something else which can be treated
    Anyway I am trying my very best to be positive & am taking time off work to try to perk my boy up.
    I,m just off to buy him the tastiest of food to tempt him .
    If anyone has any advice I would be extremely grateful .
    Thanks very much xx

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Try not to worry. FIP symptoms mirror a myrriad of other illnesses, it could be any kind of virus or bacterial infection, which is wholly treatable.

If he is not eating and drinking for himself and hates being syringed then he may be a little dehydrated, hence the colour of his urine. You could ask the vet to give him some sub Q fluids. They just inject fluid directly under the skin, saves them having to go in on a drip which they hate. If he hasn't eaten much, then he also won't be pooing, no waste products to get rid of. To tempt him to eat, have you tried A/D. The vets should have some. Its highly palatable, high calorie, and if it comes to it - syringable.

I am sending lots of get well vibes your way.

3. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Sending lots of positive thoughts and love in your direction x

4. Chinchillagirl

Thanks very much for advice & thoughts.Milo has got a little brighter & last night came came & lay on my chest & put his paws on my neck ...hes such a darling !! Am very pleased as his urine has went back to a normal colour despite not drinking much.
    He was on a drip for 8 hours on monday & like you say he wasnt happy or as the vet put it "he spat the dummy".He also slept for hours on his favourite windowsill...even though I had to lift him onto it.
    He is SO bored being separated from his friends but what can I do !!
    Its actually quite comical the way I have to change clothes & socks every time I change rooms ...difficult to remember what i,m wearing for each room :)
    A very lovely community vet gave me aprons ,overshoes & hand gel this morning.I had to tell her about Milo so she could decide whether to give my kitten his 2nd vaccination.She was very helpful & recommended that I still vaccinate him .

I have been reading about Interferon as a treatment for FIP & it doesnt look like it has very much success & mega exspensive !

Talking of which I have only just got over paying the bills for Marty who got PTS in April 810 pounds including cremation.I have to write a cheque for six hundred & fifty pounds on friday which I basically don,t have.I have the other 4 cats insured but not the ones who got ill !! Such is life.
    Milo loving Encore food...only thing thats tempting him !
    Thanks again for thinking of Milo xxx

5. Sarnajes

Sarnajes PetForums Member

I hope he is feeling better soon. :)

6. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Good to hear that Milo has perked up a little. I hope he continues to get stronger x

7. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Fingers crossed and big hug for you and Milo.....hope he is well again soon! x

8. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

I hope Milo gets well soon i hope its not F I P i recently lost my baby boy ragdoll to it he was 5 days away from being a year old.
    i am sending positive thoughts your way

viv xx

9. Kipp

Kipp PetForums Junior

My Maine Coon was diagnosed with WET FIP when she was 6mths old. That was over a year ago and she's fine. There is no straight test for FIP, Titre levels may be raised but can reduce once the virus has subsided and may not result to full blown FIP. Don't give up hope, I'm still not sure if the dreaded virus will return but a stress free life and lot's of hugs so far, has worked for me.

When Tilly was diagnosed with FIP her Tire levels were sky high. No vet can 100% confirm FIP based on tests but however, they do give a good indication. This is what my Tilly had last year. She had weeks to live, even though she had no illness except a 24 hr eye disorder, weekness and a bad tummy upset.

Do NOT give up hope, FIP is so hard to diagnose. I'm hoping that Tilly does keep the coronavirus dormant. NOT ALL CATS THAT CATCH THE CORONAVIRUS MUTATE TO FIP. When the Coronavirus if present, the Titre levels rise, that doesn't mean to say that they will get the full blown FIP. Less stress is best............x

LOT'S of thoughts and love,

Kipp xxxxxx

#9 Kipp, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  10. Chinchillagirl

Thank you SO much for this information ! Milo is looking pretty good today ,back to sleeping next to me ar night ,grooming & eating.I then took him to Vet who told me that his Titer level is 640 & the normal is 10 .I know he is still in danger but he is responding to the antibiotics well.The Vet says he could recover however she says "i will leave it to you to decide whether you put him back with your other cats" .Of course he will have to go back with the other cats....what else can I do ?
    Your message gives me a lot of hope.Like Tilly Milo has alaways been very healthy...in fact hes the only cat not ever to have had any problem ! do you have other cats besides Tilly at home ? If so did you take any precautions when Tilly was ill ?
    Totally appreciate your advice.
    XX

11. Chinchillagirl

I am so very sorry to hear about your boy.I lost one in April & understand how painful it is.Its so difficult to accept that theyve gone so quickly.FIP really is such a cruel disease.At least he had a wonderful year with you.
    big hugs
    xx

12. Chinchillagirl

Thanks so much..all these hugs help !! xx

13. Kipp

Kipp PetForums Junior

Hi again,

Really glad Milo has perked up. When Tilly was poorly the only symptoms she displayed was the runs and a bleed into each eye, (brown discolouration at the base of the eyeball). This happened in one eye one day and the other the next. By the time we got her to the vet on the second day, she was virtually back to normal so not much chance to take precautions for Mak. All we did was ensure that the litter tray was clean, (bleached at least twice a week) and her bowls were washed daily, as you would anyway. Tilly had titre levels in excess of 1200, she too had Metacam and appeared normal pretty quick. We have not had her titre levels checked since.

Please remember that there is no such thing as an FIP test. FIP is diagnosed by a process of elimination, all that can be tested are other conditions to eliminate them. Even then it can only be confirmed on autopsy so it's a slippery little so and so to deal with.

We were told by a trusted and respected vet that Tilly had weeks to live and all we could do was keep her relaxed, (She suggested that an early (6 month) spaying could have caused this to surface). We followed the advice and so far, so good.

There is always hope and love can do wonders, whatever happens you're doing the right thing by giving Milo the best..Don't give up!

Lots of love Kipp x x

14. Chinchillagirl

Thanks a lot for this info...I think its gives me & hopefully other cat owners in the same situation hope that even if your cat has high titre readings they can survive.
    I am so happy this morning that Milo looks his normal self ! He is back to being "light"..he can pop onto the bed or windowsill normally.He is also eating & grooming well.Still not drinking water so still giving him Glucolyte.
    After Marty got PTS in April I threw out Every single food bowl & litter tray that he had come into contact with.I also became even more stringent with cleaning litter trays.I don't use bleach but I use a cat safe disinfectant which kills all viruse including Corona virus.
    I'm going to read more about FIP as I am a bit concerned that once I put Milo back in with the other four;someone else might come down with it...
    Anyway I am being as positive as possible & thanks again for your lovely words ...you are so right.
    xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice