Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent advice please!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Beagle, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Hi folks,

our 16 week old beagle puppy has just been run over by a cyclist on a walk. He was quite shocked and has been limping on his front left although he doesn't cry or yelp when it's touched.

We rang the vet straightaway who said that as he isn't reacting to being touched anywhere (and we have felt him all over for signs of injury) then they are not worried. We've brought him home and he's still limping a bit but is very quiet and subdued and sorry for himself.

He is currently wrapped up in a towel on my lap asleep but shivering and just wondering if anyone can suggest anything to help?

I'm worried about shock and just want to help him feel better.

Any advice gratefully received

B

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i think i would take him down to the vets..just to be sure..

juliex

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

It could just be shock keep him warm and get him to drink fluids. Then take him down to the vets just incase

4. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

oh poor little thing :( as the others I think I would prob take him to the vets for a check over just in case as I would be worried about that limping still.

hopefully it is nothing and he is just a bit bruised...

...what happened? did the cyclist stop etc?

hope he is better soon

5. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i was wondering this as if he didnt stop he would need to ride quick if he had run my dog over:arf::arf::arf::arf::arf::arf::arf:

when you say run over do you mean the rider went over him like a speed bump??

6. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Thanks for the advice folks, he's asleep still has stopped shivering and is now snoring like usual which I think is a good sign! Were going to let him sleep then give him a drink when he wakes up and see how he's feeling and will probably pop down to the vets for a check up.

It was actually a friend of ours who ran him over, he was coaching a rowing crew so not totally looking where he was going the puppy was off lead by the lake and they both changed direction at the last moment and collided and the first wheel of the bike went over the pup.
    The guy wasn't hurt but very shook up and very sorry - a bit like the puppy really. I of course want to kill him (wasn't there at the time, pup was with my oh) but do appreciate it was just an accident and he feels awful.

7. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

A boy was wizzing around my fathers dog on an electric scooter the other day.She was on a flexi lead!! I was waiting for him to hit her. Cringing everytime he went passed. I felt like clothes lining the little SOB :D

8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Oh bless him,as your pup is still so little and a man on a bike can weigh a fair amount,i would insist the vet saw him for a check up myself.I bet your friend was mortified!! hope he's ok too.

9. Kip

Kip PetForums Junior

So sorry to hear about your puppy Beagle. If you feel he is in shock the vet will be able to give him something. Other than that some of the homepathic treatments in Boots are suitable for animals.

10. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I think i would take him to the vets, they would know what to look for to determine whether he has an internal injury or not and treat the shock! Poor little mite!! Bet he has a fear of bikes for a bit now too!

Let us know how he gets on and keep us posted. X X

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

aw pooor baby!

12. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

hows the little mite doing now? did you pop him up the vets in the end?

hoping he is all ok :thumbup:

13. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Awww, poor little chap. Hope he is feeling a bit brighter now & if you took him to the vets that he was ok. Thinking of him and sending him hugs...

14. Shamen

Shamen Guest

aw hope hes okay like others have said i would get him checked out by a vet, also beagles are known for their poor recall i would be very wary letting him off lead especially once he reaches adolescence.

15. lula

lula PetForums Junior

Poor baby :frown: bet your OH's friend was mortified.

Sincerely hope young pup is feeling much better by now and has no serious injuries.

Louise xXx

16. Beagle

Beagle PetForums Junior

Hi all,
    thanks so much for all your kind words, we both felt really supported which was lovely!

Unbelievably the puppy is absolutely fine! After he woke up from his sleep yesterday afternoon he was still limping a bit but much brighter. We took him to the vets in the evening just for a quick check up and the vet is happy that there's no serious damage and the limp shouldn't last long.

The vet actually had his own puppy with him that evening and our boy was so desperate to play with him the vet suggested we let him so he could see how his leg was. He played with as much lunacy as ever and the limp miraculously disappeared! That is until I put him back on his lead when he looked at me balefully and started to limp again.

The guy who cycled over him feels absolutely dreadful, he called us again in the evening to apologise again and see how the pup is and has just dropped off a massive bone for him too!

Am trying not to make too much of a fuss of him as don't want to reinforce the limping but I am so thankful he's ok. When oh brought him home and he was all wet and shivery and sad my heart nearly stopped.

We've only had him a couple of months but just so glad he's ok, if it had been worse I can't imagine how awful it would be.

Thanks again for all your advice and support!

B

17. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

glad he's ok. he prob just sprained it a bit from the accident, but not too badly sprained - the vet prob would've known if it was too bad.

don't take him for too long a walk at the moment let it heal a bit. If he has sprained it, if he puts excess pressure on it by running like a loon on a long walk, it might do him more harm than good. Yes by all means take him out but don't take him out for too long. I wouldn't anyway.

18. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

im pleased he is ok :)

19. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

So pleased he is ok :D It was just a sad accident. I agree with ad_1980 and would take it easy for a week or so just to be on the safe side. xx

20. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

thank you :) its so nice some people listen to me lol. that wasn't intended for the OP, i was just sayin in general :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice