Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent advice needed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by nikki from mars, May 30, 2020.

1. nikki from mars

nikki from mars PetForums Newbie

Hi all. So this is a bit of a strange one and I am currently at a loss as to what to do/think.
    My husband and I have 9 cats, all indoor only that we love very much. They have the run of the house and plenty of spaces and enrichment, good high quality diet and regular veterinary care. We have built shelves and walkways all over the house for our beloved kitties and a happier bunch of cats you could never hope to meet.

SOOO... last night fairly late on I was disturbed by the sound of the letter box having something pushed through and all the cats running in to the front room... which makes me think this has happened before.
    I ran into the front room and the floor was covered in cat treats and the cats munching them.. there were far in excess of what 9 cats should have as a treat..
    Well for obvious reasons I swept up all the treats and got rid.. as for all I know they were not only excessive but potentially poisoned.
    An anxious night was therefore spent making sure the cats didnt become unwell. My husband works nights and I also work some nights as we are both in social care, so it seems someone is deliberately doing this when we are at work late at night.. so not a child who wouldnt know better and just wants to treat the cute kitties.
    We have had several occassions recently when the cats have been vomiting overnight.. presumably due to being overfed treats in this way.
    I dont understand what possible motivation someone would have for doing this. We are concerned that someone may either be giving treats so they could poison the cats, or are attempting to lure our cats away or steal them. As I say they are indoor only so cannot be lured out but who knows if it will escalate to a break in?
    We know that a lot of cats have recently gone missing locally. We had yet another owner put a flier through this morning about their missing cat and there have been several recent posters or neighbours who have asked us to keep our eyes peeled for their missing cats because they know we are fellow cat lovers.
    We are now going to create a safety box around our letterbox to prevent any treats being put through but does anyone have more understanding of what the hell is actually going on here or what else we can do to prevent further problems?
    We are also planning to build a large outdoor catio but tgis makes me concerned for the cats safety outdoors.

2. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Member

How awful for you: and what peculiar behaviour.

The only thing I can think of is, as you say, some sort of safety box: and to have a word with your cat-owning neighbours, partially yo warn them and also to see if they're also being "targetted" (for want of a better word) in this way.

Calvine likes this.
  3. nikki from mars

Yes will try and ask a few close neighbours with cats and see. Bit difficult with lockdown but will knock on a few doors and ask. Thanks

4. tyg'smum

Otherwise, I suppose there's CCTV - but what an expense to have to go to.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

I think I'd be calling the non emergency number for the police. Like you say, very suspicious behaviour and you have no idea of the motive. With other cats going missing in your area it could very well be linked.

Pixel, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  6. Pathfinder

Pathfinder PetForums Newbie

Poisoned or not ...it's wrong. Get one of those ring type camera doorbell....generic ones are cheap on amazon. Even cheaper deterrents like a solar pir light is better than nothing and cost less than a tenner ....good luck

Calvine and Summercat like this.
  7. nikki from mars

Thanks guys some good ideas.. will look into the camera option and things as well.

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Very scary, I would put duct tape over the letter box if I were you!

Lurcherlad, Summercat and Orla like this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Can you put an external mail box outside your door, on the wall perhaps? A mail cage indoors would mean treats would still get in through the holes.

Having said that, if the police feel it is a prosecutable offence, you could get the video camera and identify the culprit to then bring charges.

Its very bizarre behaviour

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I had to have a box because the dog I then had used to shred the post. If it was a cage type, you'd have to line it, obviously. Most odd. Do you think that because you work nights (ie no lights on) someone thinks the cats have been left alone and they are trying to ''help'' by feeding them? Or maybe they had something that their cats won't eat so pushed them thro' the letter box. I could understand them leaving sealed packets outside if they thought you could make use of them, but this is beyond bizarre! If they are house cats, they can't be causing any offence to your neighbours.

#11 Calvine, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

That’s odd
    I would invest in a doorbell camera and have a bag sellotaped over the letterbox

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Could it be a neighbour who mistakenly believes your cats are being neglected and not fed? Or that they haven't seen you going in and out and are worried they've been abandoned?

A note on the front door saying the cats are well looked after and to cease the practise otherwise the Police will be involved might be enough?

I'd definitely block the letterbox though.

14. tyg'smum

I wonder... in these peculiar times we find ourselves living in, the OH and I have become strangely addicted to "Dog Rescuers". There was a recent episode in which one of the Inspectors found a dog abandoned in a locked and deserted house, and was keeping him alive by posting dry dog food through the letterbox. I'm not suggesting that the local RSPA are involved (why would they be doing this at night?), but I do wonder if someone has seen the programme and is concerned that the OPs cats are neglected?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I suggested similar (above) but agree not RSPCA as they would definitely leave a note to say they had been. Also I doubt it would be treats they were shovelling through the letterbox.

#15 Calvine, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  16. tyg'smum

I was just musing as to where anyone might have got the idea from.

17. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I was feeding a housecat for a neighbour for the weekend and she forgot to leave me a key. I told her I could put dry tho' the letterbox or call a locksmith and get her locks changed. Fortunately he had a fountain. It's really odd isn't it! OP has not come back with any news. Most treats are not cheap so to bung a pile is even odder. Curiouser and curiouser.

18. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

How bizarre! A safety box is a good idea, thankfully my house had a second door between it and the main room so my cats couldn't get at anything pushed through the letterbox.

Did you think to save any of the treats for testing, to see if they were contaminated? I don't want to jump to any conclusions on scanty evidence, but with so many odd disappearances lately as well you may need to consider the remote possibility that there is a cat hater at work in your area.

Also, do you have a local Facebook group for your area, or any other onlie forums? If so, you could ask on there if anyone else had had this done to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice