Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Urgent Advice needed asap!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Staceybob, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

Sorry to sound dramatic but this to me is really important and I need to get it sorted as soon as possible.

Normally my little girl is very good when I go out and just sleeps in her bed; but I took my partner to work yesterday (So I was gone for like... 10 minutes?) I came back and she had tried chewing the gas pipe!!!!

I'm horrified and all I keep thinking now is, oh my god, if I go to work now she's going to cause a gas leak!

Can anyone think of a fast and effective method of her thinking; Oh my god! I'm never touching that again!

I did send her to bed all afternoon and wouldnt speak to her after she did it, so she knows she was in the wrong, but I'm so worried she'll break through the pipe.

Stacey xxx

2. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. firstly, unless you catch the dog doing something at that moment, you cannot punish it. Which is why people talk about the importance of timing with regards to training. You have up to 8 seconds to correct/reward/punish behaviour. If you think your dog looks guilty, she is just being submissive to your anger/disappointment etc. By sending her to bed all afternoon and not speaking to her, she will have no idea and you could affect your relationship with her.

Dogs are not like humans, they have no guilt or conscience and certainly do not reflect on what they do. This punishment, in my opinion is cruel, because the dog does not understand. I am not saying you are cruel, because quite clearly you are not and you believed you are doing the right thing, by preventing her harm.

As to what you can do......

* Cover the gas pipe so she cannot get to it
    * Cover it in something that tastes to revolting that she will not chew
    * Squirt water at her if you catch her doing it (not so she see's you doing it)
    * Do not let her in the room where there is a gas pipe

x

3. Staceybob

Any ideas on anything revolting? We've tried Bitter Spray in the past; but the taste just seemed to wear off.

Stacey xxx

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Can I just say that dogs do not understand 'punishment'. They are amoral and do not understand wrong and right so no sort of punishment will ever be effective.

You can correct them if you catch them in the act but remember that they may still do the same things while you are away - they do not associate the action in the same way when you are away as you have never corrected them.

The most important thing is safety and to make sure she cannot reach anything that could cause unwanted damage and that also included things that you value too.

How old is she?
    Is she crate trained?
    Where do you keep her when you go to work?
    How long are you leaving her?

5. Staceybob

She is 9 months old; She was in crate when she was younger; but she stopped this business. This is the first event of her doing it in months. She is kept in the hallway where there is nothing that she can damage if she wanted to (Though she's discovered the gas pipe now; it looks like shes been chewing the clips off the pipe). She is left for a maximum of 5 hours on her own.

Normally she is perfectly fine, so I am just looking for something to get her off that pipe this afternoon.

Stacey xxx

EDIT: My vet has just advised Vinegar, Lemon Juice; Orange juice or chilli paste. Someone else has also mention olbas oil. Well she doesn't like the vinegar thats for sure! We'll see how we go!

#5 Staceybob, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Black Pepper!! We got advised with like tobasco sauce and mustard, but Sir Rupert likes both of those :cursing: He hates pepper because it gets up his nose, so I made a bit of a paste and stick it on whatever he is eating.

At one point when he was young we had an issue with the gas pipe, but because of where it is situated near a radiator, we wedged a couple boards of wood across it so he can't access it. He got keen on cables too so we've had to put protectors on them or a mesh so he can't get to them. They were just those really cheap slightly bendy thin pieces of wood out the garage, I was so worried the house might just explode if he got through the pipe..!

7. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Vick's Vaporub.

Not only do dogs hate the smell/taste, but you will find that everyone in the house will breathe more easily :)

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

nail varnish remover - mika hates the smell of that! Don't know if other dogs will hate it as well but there's a thought!

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I have one of those random chewers, and the only way I found to stop it happening, because it was occasional random items, was to crate her for her own safety. She even chewed a light bulb once, the ex left a whole row of them on the kitchen side, she was left for five mins and by the time I walked in the back door there was glass and bits of metal everywhere. Thankfully she'd only got the first one, and she'd miraculously managed not to cut herself anywhere. The ex got an earful when I spoke to him, he'd just not bothered putting her away.

Tau used to merrily fetch me any item she'd chewed, I never told her off for the habit as she wouldn't be able to associate me being angry with her to something she had done earlier. She quite happily greeted me in this instance with the remains of the lightbulb still in her mouth for me to take off her.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My dog chewed up a lightbulb once! I guess she thought it was a ball. i heard a funny noise and there she was lying on the floor with a lightbulb between her paws chewing it! :eek:

If it were me, I would crate just for safety, or she may chew something else!
    But if you are going for th vinegar what I would do, instead of just wiping vinegar on the pipe, put some vinegar on an old cloth and cover the pipe with it, tie it on. The smell will stay longer.

x

11. As others have said it is pointless punishing your dog unless it it actually caught in the act!

I notice that you say this is a first time!!! May not be a any consolation BUT if may well have just been a momentry spur of the moment act by your dog!!!!! My girl did this a couple of times - between the age of 8-15 month!!! Fortunately we were around on both occasiions to corect her! For the time being try and ensure that sould you leave her that she is out of danger from such things asgas pipes, electrical wires etc!!! I sincerely think this may just have been a one off! And when leaving her give her somethig like a kong! then should she feel the need she will more then likely be satisfied with the kong!
    regards
    DT

12. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

That's why I like Vick - you can plaster it on without it dripping whereas more liquidy stuff tends to lose its oomph very quickly, I find.

13. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I agree with this one vick is brilliant and doesnt wear off, and you can put it on anything just about and it wont hurt or stain.

14. Staceybob

She has a Kong, but she loses interest in it so fast; she feels the same way about her treat ball, her tire, her nyla bone. Nothing keeps her interested.

But yes; this probably is just a one off.

Any who; I covered it in vinegar and hot pepper sauce and the pipe has not been touched all evening lol ! Some one else suggested Vick to me at work, I may consider that if the vinegar and hot pepper sauce doesnt keep her off lol XD.

Stacey xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice