Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

upside-down catfish ?

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by ....zoe...., Dec 29, 2010.

1. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i was just wondering if upside-down catfish, are permenantly upside down or if they revert to normal position when swimming around the tank ?

the reason why i am asking is that ive aquired a new catfish today but the old owner didnt know what it was and i am stuck between an upside-down or a type of synodontis sp

2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Upside-Down Catfish are a species of Synodontis, specifically Synodontis nigriventris. They rarely swim in an upright fashion.

Many people are confused as to why these fish swim upside down. The reason is very simple: it's the feeding habits. S. nigriventris feeds primarily on insects that land on the water surface and also on trapped plant matter and detritus on the undersides of submerged logs. Swimming upside down adapts this species of Syno to this behaviour, since most catfish have inferior (downward-facing) mouths.

3. ....zoe....

ive managed to get a picture :) any ideas ???
    [​IMG]

4. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

The fish in the photo is most likely Synodontis euptera, not S. nigriventris. However, there's so many differences between the locales of different species and then there's the problem with hybridization which has made differentiating one species from another more difficult.

5. ....zoe....

thats what i thought :) and through my research i have found they can become territorial and grow to a fairly big size, but luckily already have a home for it if it begins causing problems in my tank. :thumbup:

6. holly1

holly1 PetForums VIP

All synos will have a go at swimming up side down.My syno polli do it on a water change,when the water level is lower than normal.
    The majority of the time,they spend on the bottom

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice