Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Upset - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by winterrose, Apr 2, 2017.

1. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

A couple of weeks ago, I was walking my neighbour's little dog and we had a nice little outing to the park. Apart from a couple of idiot dog walkers, I was fine. I kept him on a long line as he is starting to become aggressive towards other dogs, it might have been because of a close encounter that we had a couple of months ago or the fact that he is not snipped, (my nan said she saw this coming due to certain circumstances that the dog was raised under) so I held onto his lead if other dogs came up to him.
    One man had two bouncy spaniels that came running over to the dog I walked, I quickly grabbed him, and I thought that maybe the man would call his dogs away, or put them on a lead or something to introduce him, but no, he was too busy on his phone to even look at his dogs so I was trying to manage an introduction between the neighbour's dog and two dogs that I had never seen before because there was nothing else I could do really, thankfully all dogs were really friendly with each other, but the man spent a good 3 minutes (or more) not even looking at his dogs. But that is not the worst thing....
    I was walking the dog back home, when I got a phone call from my mum warning me that two boys (let's call them John and Joe) that I went to primary school with were walking around the neighbourhood. I thought that I could just avoid them, however, there wasn't another route I could have taken home and I couldn't have stayed at the park (otherwise I would've) because I needed to be home to look after my little sister. I saw them far ahead of me and I thought that was fine, and then I noticed something odd. It took me a good few seconds to realise that Joe was walking around with his trousers down. Needless to say, I was disgusted. Then the boy turned round, started shouting at me, saying that I was looking because 'I wanted some' and started walking towards me. I denied this and froze, I had to pass the boys to get home so I didn't know what to do. John then noticed the dog, and started commenting on the dog, saying about how ugly it was. I just ignored him. They then started saying stuff like 'what would you do if I weed on him' (they used stronger language) and I just ignored them because I thought they were being pathetic. They then started stepping closer towards the dog and asking me 'what would you do if I kicked the dog?' and I told pulled the dog to the other side of me and started to walk off, but they followed me. They then started threatening both me and the dog - Joe threatening me and John threatening the dog. Joe threatened to kick my head off my shoulders, and John threatened to cut the dog's head off. I started to get angry and told them to f off, before trying to run away, but they kept on coming after me and threatening me and lunging towards the dog, I think that they were actually going to kick him. They started calling my family idiots and saying that I was retarded and stuff, it got really nasty but I couldn't run away because they were following me, it was horrible. They saw two more of their friends coming and stopped following me, but they then started spitting on the dog. I am so proud of how the dog reacted to this, he remained so calm, he kept focused on me, and didn't go for the boys when they lunged towards him. I would've reported this to the police, but I have no evidence. I told the dog's owners straightaway about this and they were glad that nobody got hurt, but I'm worried that they won't let me walk the dog again. I'm also worried about going out in my neighbourhood now, in case they find me and beat me up (Joe has beaten me up twice), what should I do know? I'm really shaken still and I'm so worried about everything. The little dog I walk means the world to me and I don't want this to affect my job that I love of walking him.
    TIA xxx

2. Tamberlane

Tamberlane PetForums Member

Report the boys to the police for their aggressive behaviour.It is not ok to treat anyone like this.

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I think you should tell the police as well. I'd carry a personal alarm and your phone, so that you can call the police if they ever start to come near you again. The Suzy Lamplugh trust has advice on personal safety and a phone line.

https://www.suzylamplugh.org/

4. winterrose

Thank you @Tamberlane and @Jobeth
    I might have a little camera or something that I can slip into a bag and use to film with these 2.
    The police are familiar with these 2, and I think one of them is on his 3rd strike I will get in touch and report when I get back from Florida in a couple of days

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

What vile, disgusting beings...an utter waste of space and oxygen!

Another vote for reporting them to the police. Is it particularly you that they pick on or are they like this to lots of people? Kudos to the dog for not reacting.

I would also write down this incident (and any others that may follow) into a diary as accurately as possible so that you have all of the details recorded in case it comes to anything.

I am sorry that you have had to endure this. My OH was very badly bullied at school and beaten up (and worse) on numerous occasions.

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

The sooner those two boys fulfill their destiny and get locked up the better, I think.

7. winterrose

Thank you @Sairy, I think that they are nasty to a lot of people but because of past encounters and getting beaten up by them before, they are a lot nastier to me than they are to anyone else.
    @Mirandashell I have seen them being stopped by the police before for carrying a dangerous weapon (catapult with metal bullets) and shooting it in public. They kill crows, parakeets, pigeons, ducks and squirrels and brag about it showing graphic images on Instagram. I reported them before on Instagram but nothing happened :(

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Pathetic little morons...you really don't need evidence I'm sure. The police will be fairly sure you haven't made it up (what would you gain from doing so?) and also, you know who they are. I wouldn't hesitate.

Lurcherlad and winterrose like this.
  9. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Definitely report them to the police. Dangerous behaviour which could escalate if they continue to get away with it.

Sorry this happened to you, hope you're okay x

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Definitely report it but what country are you in. Presumably not the UK as there are not any parakeets flying round. Obviously no one knows how justice works in your country.

winterrose likes this.
  11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Report the little s****. Doesn't matter whether you have evidence or not, but at least log the incident with the police so you have some evidence of similar behaviour if there is ever another incident.

Years back when I was about 14 or so I was walking our family dog through a small wooded area behind a village I walked to and a bunch of similar aged boys started following me and shooting a small pellet gun at myself & my dog! Don't know the exact type and it didn't hurt, but it was very unnerving & I was worried it would spook my dog. I was so nervous that I cut through the wooded area into the village itself so I had more chance of escape/to call on help if needs be. The boys followed initially but then lost interest as I headed further into the village. I/my family never reported the boys either, but in hindsight should have.

12. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

There are some parakeets in parts of London and the south

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/ou...ns/positions/species/nonnative/parakeets.aspx

OP why didn't you phone your Mum back and ask her to help given that she had phoned you to warn you the boys were about? If you encounter them again I would call the police straight away and ask any passing adult if they would mind staying with you until help arrives.

13. winterrose

I live in the UK :)
    I didn't phone my mum back as she said that they were heading down the road, and they were quite far ahead when she phoned, she said that they were much farther ahead than they were when I came down my road so I thought it was fine, but unfortunately it wasn't.
    Still very shaken about it, I just hope that the dog's owners are still OK with me walking the dog.

leashedForLife likes this.
  14. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

I'm so sorry you had to put up with this, I think we are all fantasising about those boys getting what they deserve. I'd love if we could organise a petforum vigilante group to stalk them down!

Definitely report to the police; even if they don't act directly on this incident, it will help to make a case against those boys when they finally go too far with someone.

Practice switching your phone to record whilst it's in your pocket - the same principle as drivers having dashboard cameras. 99.9% of what is recorded is irrelevant, but just occasionally the footage (or just sound recording) can prove to be useful evidence.

Finally, your mum obviously realises that there is a problem with these thugs. Make sure that you do keep telling her when things like this happen, don't try to keep it to yourself. You did the right thing in telling the dog's owner, too. It was a horrible thing to happen, but you handled it well.

#14 applecrumlin, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Why didn't you call the police as you were going through this? You had your phone? You know your emergency number? I would have dialed 911 immediately., then started video on the phone.

Too late now of course, but I don't understand why you didn't. However report it, immediately.

leashedForLife likes this.
  16. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Another vote to report it sooner rather than later. I'd be inclined to speak to your neighbourhood PCSO. Chances are they will already have dealings with these boys. You said one was walking around with his trousers down - was he exposing himself? Because if so that needs reporting to the police. Also, deliberate spitting is considered assault.

I don't understand why you wouldn't report it at the time, particularly if you know who they are?

Moobli and leashedForLife like this.
  17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I had no idea, very interestng.

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I had a flock of about 20 ringnecks fly over my garden a few months ago.

Noisy buggers.

Never seen or heard them again though.

19. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Like others have said please report this to the police. If they were making lewd remarks relating to one of the lads nakedness then that could be deemed sexual harassment. In addition you should also report the other verbal harassment and all physical actions to intimidate you and the dog.

If any of the spit landed on your clothing and the clothing hasn't yet been washed then please submit this to the police. They can undertake forensic testing and if it assists then the lad concerned could be charged with assault.

If there are any further incidents then write down factually exactly what happened afterwards. Who did what and who said what. Leave out emotions except to state factually how the incident made you feel. Keep to facts. Date time, where, who else was there or could have overheard. Was there any physical contact, spitting etc ?

Then go straight to the police and report it. Don't delay. Don't wash or wipe the area the spit landed on (clothes or skin) if possible or the areas you were touched (clothes or skin). If you do need to wipe then use a clean tissue and hand that to the police Take someone with you if you need moral support.

The legal system can sometimes be slow and it feels like nothing is being done but every report they receive will add to the information they have and will enable them to build a case to prosecute.

If you can get video or verbal evidence then great but don't jeopardise your own safety to do so.

Moobli, LinznMilly, Burrowzig and 4 others like this.
  20. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

It's very different when you're going through something like this at the time. You don't think clearly when panicking and fearful. I'm sure the OP's mind was on getting herself and the dog to safety. It's afterwards when you're safe that your head comes up with all the things you could have done differently.

OP in future if you see those boys immediately dial 999 and have your finger ready to press call if you need to.

Moobli, froglet, Lurcherlad and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice