Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Upset Stomach

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Mrs S88, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Mrs S88

Mrs S88 PetForums Newbie

So we got a new kitten- Tonkanese cross a couple of weeks ago. She seems ok other than small dry crusty patches which form in her eyes & nose which vet said was ok. She’s had her first jags. She’s been sick twice and we notice her stools are loose and light in colour sometime with blood at the end. Took her to the vet and they advised to stop wet food and monitor. She’s also got a big lump where the jab when in, again vet said this is ok and monitor to see if she’s in pain.

Older cat (2.5 years) was a bit huffy to begin with but gradually interested in new kitten. Growling stopped and they play together when we supervise. They both have seperate rooms at night and when we are at work. Now he’s got the tummy thing too. Loose stools, loads of them, light brown and stink! Vet thinks it could just be due to change in routine. He’s stopped cleaning himself and taken to dragging the mess on the carpet which is a nightmare.

They are both ok otherwise- eating, sleeping, drinking, purring and playing. Any advice on how long this will last? Feel like I’m panicking they’ve both caught something nasty from the kitten. Vet said to monitor and didn’t seem worried but I’m stressing. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Oh poor you, sounds like a bit of a nightmare! Has the kitten been wormed yet? I would definitely suggest getting both your cats wormed immediately with something from the vet, which could be a spot-on like Advocate or a tablet like Milbemax. If this doesn’t resolve the problem, then it could be a different bug or parasite which may require faecal testing to resolve. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

3. Mrs S88

Mrs S88 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply. The vet said the kitten was too small to be wormed. We had let the big cat lapse as he is almost 100% indoor. He will sometimes sit outside while we hang out washing etc but never leaves the garden or in contact with others.

4. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

We wormed Joey at 6 weeks/600g. Your kitten is surely larger?

Vet advice a little odd - if your kitten has loose stools then wet food is The best thing for it to replace lost water. Dry food will add to any dehydration.

That said, my recommendation would be to try plain cooked chicken (you can boil it in water until it is cooked through) as this would help settle the bowel. You can add in some of the cooking water again for hydration.

Vomiting is also a bit of a worrying sign: suspicious for worms or another parasite (which can spread easily between cats).

Take photos of the poop to show your vet.

Kittens can get very sick very fast from diarrhoea and vomiting especially both together.

How old is the kitten and from where did you get them?

Treaclesmum likes this.
  5. Mrs S88

Mrs S88 PetForums Newbie

Thanks. I’ve read online the same thing about the wet food which is why I thought I would seek some advice. The vet said if she’s passing too much water the dry food helps to dry the stools up?? She’s also got a powder to have with her water fortiflora which she seems to be having. I’ve noticed today she’s passed both loose and solid ones although it is alternating between. The big cat is the same.

She was 600kg at 8 weeks so the vet said to leave until the set of next jags. She was from a breeder in the local area. We saw the mother and grandmother cat and the other 3 in the litter who were all seemingly well. The breeder was knowledgeable and the house was clean and well equipted for the kittens.

The vet said to monitor for a week until the sachets for the water were finished. I don’t want to keep pestering them! My husband did check the both of their stools and couldn’t see signs of worms.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice