Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Upset stomach

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lupa, May 18, 2010.

1. Lupa

Lupa PetForums Junior

I have a question that I hope someone can help. My choc lab boy (9mths)seems to have a bad belly, short history: got him at 13 weeks, was on pedigree puppy, always had runny poos. Switched him slowly to Jolleys Lifestage (pet superstore own brand recommended by sis in law), done ok but still had runny poos on and off and then started to turn his nose up after a while. Switched a few weeks ago to Autarky puppy, at first loved it, still has odd runny poos. Was in kennels for a week, came back quite skinny and a bit nervy. Now turns his nose up at his dinner, only has a few bites before walking away. Got a vets appointment tomorrow, although I have mentioned the runny poos to the vet before they are really pushing Hills Science plan (they sell it in there).

Had some opinions from friends with dogs, ideas could be food intolerence, cut everything out apart from Autarky and slowly re-introduce other things one by one and see what sets him off. Could be digestive disorder and a common ingredient in all foods could be setting him off. Could be he's just a fussy eater. Don't want to feel like the vets gonna fob me off with Hills (as I felt last time I mentioned it:nono:), saw previous post bout a lab with runny poos, seemed similar so just wondered if anybody had any other ideas/experiences?:confused:

Sorry it's so long!!!!!:)

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Logan was never solid on any of the foods we tried with him until we moved him onto Royal canin, it has probiotic in it. I used to have to buy protexin granules to add to his food to help keep him solid but since being on royal canin i have been able to stop the protexin so even though it is £4o per 15kg bag it still works out cheaper than having to buy food and protexin.

Hills I/D is a great food for upset tummies, Logan did ok on this after being in the vets with a bad bout of tummy trouble but it is sooooooo expensive and with R.C doing the same job we went with that.

Hope i havn't waffled!! :rolleyes:

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Have you tried natural yogurt (with pre/pro biotics)? Possibly a spoonful to line his stomach in the morning before any food.

I was where you are feedwise and funnily enough ended up at Autarky. My last dog thrived on it but it really didnt agree with Heidi, nor did the my continual changing to try and find something she would eat. Ended up with a poorly tum and me putting her back on the food she first refused but had got on ok with (wainwrights) She never really like this put I persevered with "that or nothing" until she was old enough to have adult.

It was no good doing all this research, finding the best food if she wasnt keen so I dwindled it down the best 3 within my budget, got samples and let her decide. She chose Skinners Salmon and Rice and we havent looked back. She absolutely loves it and clears her dish day in day out no problem.

Hope you find something that works for him. It's not easy when their tummy's are upset and feeding a problem but once you get it sorted - its the best feeling in the world to have all that worry behind you :thumbup: Good luck x

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,Best see what the vet says first,but please dont feel pressured into buying Hills or any other food!!
    Iv had this with mine,i have labs also,i did mainly find that they didnt do well on high protein and found that by switching to an adult food early on made things a whole lot better.
    If your dog gets the all clear from the vet,i would maybe try a couple of days on rice and fish,until his poo is solid(if still runny poo on rice and fish,use rice and chicken,but some dogs dont do well on chicken),then VERY gradually introduce his food (whatever you decide to use,one with few ingredients is usually best),by very slowly i mean a few kibbles the first meal,a few more the next etc.If at any time the poo begins to be runny,stop the food and go back to the rice and fish.
    Really look at the ingredients of the food you are giving,things like molassed sugar beet,rosemary,yeast etc can upset some dogs.The fewer the ingredients the easier it is to locate whats causing the problem.Natural yoghurt is also good,as said above.
    Hope the vets goes well,hopefully they will rule out any nasties.Let us know how you get on.

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

How did the vet go?

6. Lupa

Lupa PetForums Junior

Well he went to the vets and they couldn't find any obvious medical problems but she did say it's not completely unheard of to have a fussy lab (or a calm one!!!!):shocked: She suggested we try something like James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin or Hills SP. We're currently test running the JW fish kibble with a pouch and it's going down a storm :thumbup1:. Split meals to 2 a day and already he's a bit more active. He had his worming tablets yesterday and was sick so he had nothing at all until dinner last night and has been fine ever since.
    :thumbup1:Thanks for all your advice and if we have no joy with this then will be test running some of your ideas, we really appreciate all replies as it makes us feel like we're not the worst dog owners in the world knowing that others have been through this too.
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice