Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Upset frenchie

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Angela Worrilow, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Angela Worrilow

Angela Worrilow PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have a 4 year old frenchie and an 11 month old grandson. Unfortunately the toddler touched the dog on his back leg which he has quite a lot of pain in and the dog’s reaction was to snap at the grandson, scratching and bruising him. We shouted at the dog at the time to get out of the house into the garden. This was a few days ago and all is well wil the sun the baby but the dog is all over the place. He had a couple of days in agony with his leg, we had to double his metacam and stopped his walks. The pain has mostly gone now (the odd whimper) and walks are back on but his behaviour is just weird. He has a number of beds around the house but won’t sleep in them and sleeps in random places, if I put him on a bed he leaps off like it’s on fire, he won’t come to us anymore but then he’ll hug into my legs suddenly until I move, and he is just behaving strangely. His routine is back to normal and We’re trying to be calm and ‘normal’ around him, he eats ok. Any ideas what we can do?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Why did you shout at him and send him outside when your grandson had hurt him. I would suggest you do not let the two together again. What is wrong with his leg, is it something that is short term. If he is in so much pain maybe take him back to the vet and if it is a long term problem consider how you are going to manage it.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it s absolutely vital that you keep the baby and dog apart. It sounds as though the dog caused quite a lot of damage and he could easily progress to a full on bite.
    As @Blitz says, you need to take him to the vet and get his pain relief sorted out as a matter of urgency.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Angela Worrilow

Angela Worrilow PetForums Newbie

He’s been to the vets repeatedly and I have just called them again as we’ve previously been told not to worry about it (even after X-rays) and if it goes on the metacam then just to manage it this way. I shouted at him out of shock! Anyone would if their dog drew blood on their grandson! It wasnt screaming it was a loud ‘Dexter no!’ And shooing him out of the room. We will be keeping them apart until this is resolved, time for an mri scan and perhaps a different vets, I was just after advice how I can help dexter feel more comfortable again and if there’s a certain way we should be acting around him.

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry if this offends you Not The Dogs Fault, if your dog is in pain you shouldn't be letting a very young child anywhere him, if his in pain naturally he going to defend himself, he needs peace, quiet and a safe place well away from your grandson.

I also thing you may need to get a second opinion from another vet.

#5 Happy Paws2, Sep 24, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    lorilu, Burrowzig and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

As said before , keep him away from your grandson and don't allow them in the same room.
    Dexter will no doubt be very anxious around the baby now wth adrenaline runnng high.Are you a carer for the baby, or could you request no visits to your home for a while to allow the stress to dissipate? That would be my next step I think.
    If GS HAS to visit keep them completely apart- no interaction at all.
    Has Dexter got a crate? If he has you could make it nto a cosy little Den for him out of the baby's way.
    But my first choice would be no contact at all for a while to let hm calm right down.

lorilu, Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  7. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

As others have said I think you need to take him back to the vet for better pain relief to start.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi.

If you were in pain, and someone touched you right where it was most tender - wouldn't you lash out? And if a third person then banished you from the room, wouldn't you also be upset? Probably a bit mistrustful and resentful too. ;)

Your poor dog is not the one in the wrong here, yet he was the one punished. This comes down to poor management of the situation by the adults present at the time. I notice you say you shouted at Dexter in shock, but he's already on pain relief, so how was your grandson allowed to be in a position to touch him where he's most sensitive?

Dexter needs and deserves your protection. He needs and deserves to know that you have his back - even from - in fact especially from - your grandson.

I agree with @SusieRainbow - if possible don't let your grandson visit for a while to let Dexter calm down. It sounds like you've lost his trust and you're going to have to rebuild it. Don't be putting him on his bed - just let him lie where he feels most comfortable. You could try to build a positive association with his bed by tossing treats on to it, but for now, just let him be.

If you can't stop you grandson from visiting, then please do look at building a den for him out of a crate, or keeping him behind a baby gate with a nice chew or frozen kong so that your grandson cannot get to him, but he's not completely shut off from the family. If Grandson approaches the baby gate, lead him away.

And yes, please take Dexter to the vet to see about more or different pain relief for him. :)

lorilu, Burrowzig, kimthecat and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice