Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Upset Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 4nimalL0ver, Sep 9, 2019.

1. 4nimalL0ver

4nimalL0ver PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    I’m currently looking after my family members dog - she has gone on holiday for a week. He was fine yesterday (her first day not here) but today he hasn’t eaten or drunk anything? Other than when he’s been on walks, he’s been following me around, or sleeping in his bed?

Can dogs get ‘depressed’ or miss their owners to a point they stop eating and drinking, or shall I take him to the vets?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

He very likely feels confused (more likely that than depressed which is quite a human emotion to project on to him). I wouldn't be over concerned about him not eating for a day but not drinking is a little more of a concern. Can you tempt him by getting something like tuna in spring water, and draining a little of that water into his water bowl? Or, as long as he isn't lactose intolerant, even a very small amount of milk diluted with water (maybe 20% / 80%).

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

He's probably a little anxious and when anxious it is natural that they can't eat - I am sure he will settle - as Joanne says, drinking is important though so as suggested try flavouring a small amount of water or flavour some ice cubes for him.

J

lullabydream likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Another thought- what food is he on - would his owner agree to him being tempted with some wet food which will have a higher water content anyway?

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d say he’s feeling a bit lost without his owner.

Maybe try hand feeding to tempt him and a splash of milk in some water 50:50 might also tempt him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice