Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Upredictable shitzhu

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by darren vanehill, May 22, 2017.

1. darren vanehill

darren vanehill PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I have a 3 year old male Shitzhu. He is unpredictable. One minute hes happy go lucky but every now and then he will snap and bite. If we touch him accidentally when he is asleep for example he will lash out and bite so we know how to avoid these situations. He wont let us groom him without being unhappy about it and lashing out at us every now and again if we try. He will go to the groomers and get his hair cut without any problems occurring whilst he's there. Perhaps the groomer is more firm with him. What I wanted to ask the forum is . Can he be trained not to bite. I don't wont to think about the inevitable putting him to sleep problem but get scared at the prospect of him biting some one else.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Chances are he has always been displaying some signs of anxiety and you have missed them and continued invading his space which has inadvertently pushed him to escalate his behaviours.

I would be careful about trusting a groomers word tbh as maybe he is extremely stressed by the process. I would only use a groomer that allowed me to watch (from a distance) for my own peace of mind.

Anxious dogs can be turned around but you need to learn the right way to retrain him.

Not touching him when asleep or on his bed, not ignoring his signs of anxiety or putting him in situations where he feels overwhelmed, reward/praise when relaxed, etc.

Ask the vet for a referral to a good behaviourist - one who does not use alpha/dominance methods, but positive and reward based training.

Has he been checked for any health related issues which can cause aggression?

MiffyMoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice