Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Engel98, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted so I thought I would update you all regarding Beau, Belle and Pebbles.

Beau
    Beau is well and happy. His castration has really calmed him down, however he has put on a lot of weight which needs to come off. He's a bichon frise and weighs 9kg! He had no waist now and you can't feel his ribs at all... I've dropped his food intake which is highly digestible. I believe only 8 or 9% ash! I've tried exercise (put him in a field to run) but taking it steady because of his joints. Any other tips would be great!
    Beau is also suffering with allergies now he's an adult. Didn't notice anything when he was a pup but now it seems he struggles with hayfever. It particularly affects his ears and paws. The vets prescribed prednisolone as it had turned into a slight infection. Going to be giving his piriton as a preventative from now on.

Belle
    Belle has been spayed this week and it was found that she had a cystic ovary. It was huge compared to normal and the vet was surprised. It would almost certainly would have been the cause of the very realistic phantom Bella had earlier this year. It would also cause increased aggression and a short temper. Which she had so hopefully that'll settle things now. Bella also had small lumps on her body (about ballbearing size) which the vet has confirmed are cysts. While under anesthesia she also had 7 teeth removed and the remaining teeth clean. For the past couple of days she's been feeling a tad sorry for herself but today she's *trying* to run and jump. She's very happy now even off pain meds (she had a relation to them and the vets said to stop giving it to her).

Pebbles
    Pebs has gained weight now since her spay and is at her ideal weight of 7kg! She looks so healthy now and her coat and temperament are amazing! The lump on her ear was a bite from Bella from when they had their disagreement but that's healing nicely and to be honest you would know it was there unless you were really looking for it.

2. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

All sounding good, hopefully you will be able to get Beau's weight down. It so makes a difference to their well being.
    Thank goodness you had Belle spayed when you did and found out about that cystic ovary!
    Pebbles sounding good too.
    Where are the pictures of them then???

3. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

IMG_20190608_183123412.jpg IMG_20190522_145933638.jpg IMG_20190522_145840293.jpg IMG_20190520_143215474.jpg IMG_20190522_145317586.jpg IMG_20190529_135859879.jpg IMG_20190402_152611348.jpg IMG_20190522_151710984.jpg IMG_20190520_143218527.jpg IMG_20190406_163059101.jpg
    I knew beau was getting a tad big but I didn't realize how big until I put him on the scales. (Weighed him 2 weeks ago. Upped exercise and lowered his calorie intake ever since.) He has his health check in a couple of weeks. I'm not expecting a massive difference but I hope the weight will be going the right direction!

Also photos

#3 Engel98, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    tabelmabel and Udon like this.
  4. DaisyBluebell

Love the pictures, especially the 3 of them in the same bed.
    Well done on noticing Beau's weight gain and doing something about it.

5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I know some of the effects of obesity in dogs, both inside and out...not pretty and very painful. Going about helping lose the wait is something I'm going to need to read into a bit more. Find some tips. Problem is, I have cut his food down by 10% like the vet said but Beau is sooooooo hungry he is going around eating grass, plants, scraps and poo...

6. DaisyBluebell

The vet can give you/advise you on special diet food - Royal Canine wet or dry food. I used it on a rescue cavi we had some years ago that came needing to loose nearly a stone in weight it worked really well.

Engel98 likes this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I've just started Reena on Bob and Lush light which she quite likes, but not weighed her since we started it. She's going in for a dental on Tuesday so will get weighed then.

DaisyBluebell and Engel98 like this.
  8. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I will be talking to the vet about it. Also, Beau needs to be on a hypoallergenic diet. So far I have found that he reacts to chicken, lamb and various grains so he is currently been fed AVA sensitive skin and stomach which is white fish and doesn't have any animal or vegetable derivatives. It is packed full of omega 3 and 6 as you'd imagine with it being fish based, so that's helping his skin as he suffers with allergies which present themselves with stomach issues and itchy dry skin and paws which he then scratches/nibbles. :/

I have heard a lot about royal canin (good things) but I'm pretty sure that they contain cereals and various other things which aren't compatible with Beau so I doubt it'd be suitable unfortunately. :(

9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Good luck for the dental, hope all goes well and she isn't too sore afterwards. Bella was, we're on day 5 and she's only just attempted semi-moist food today and she found it difficult. I've only just managed to get a kibble that agrees with beau that he is also finding easy to digest-very little waste. I'm a bit dubious about changing it again to something which may not agree with him.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Can I just point out...ash isn't a bad thing in food.

Digestibility content of food usually depends on the dog, and moisture content

11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Thankyou, I'm not looking forward to it at all.
    We had planned to get Bobby castrated at the same time but decided to wait and see if it was really necessary, he's very dog reactive at the moment so don't want to remove his testosterone until he's more confident.
    What kibble is Beau having now ?

#11 SusieRainbow, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    DaisyBluebell likes this.
  12. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I suppose it depends on whether the reactivity you mention is hormone based. If it is then it may help, if not then castration won't help. Obviously there are health benefits associated with neutering.

Beau is currently on AVA sensitive skin and stomach and it seems to be working well...a little too well as hes now overweight. On the plus side...I think I'm able to feel a slight waist now

SusieRainbow likes this.
  13. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I was always under the illusion that ash was the stuff that wasn't really digestible and to be honest, there's hardly any waste that comes out of the other end. I've tried him on other foods and it's almost like everything that was going is was also exiting the other end and he didn't seem to maintain his weight (kept dropping) and his coat and skin was awful hence the change

14. lullabydream

Ash is another name for mineral.content in food...all dogs need essential minerals and vitamins. It's just how manufacturers show nutritional value

15. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Well now I look stupid :(

16. lullabydream

Not at all..there is a lot of scaremongering about dog food and misinformation out there based on opinions rather than facts aaq

It's an emotive subject, as once we get a dog how ever that maybe we can't change a lot about their genetics, temperament, their traits but what we can do is feed them. It's a choice as owners which we all have to make, what food to feed. It's probably the most common question here too, what's the best food for my dog. It's all up to the individual dog, and what suits one dog, might not work as well for another. All food in the UK has strict guidelines to be labelled dog food. There are minimum requirements for all, which have to be adhered to, so dogs can get a balanced diet.

The dog food which best suits your dog is one that fits your budget, lifestyle and your dog.

17. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Oh I see. I understand now.
    AVA sensitive skin and stomach does Beau good, in fact it seems to be working well for all 3 of my dogs which makes life easier...don't need to buy different food for each dog. Also its quite affordable and 15kg bag lasts 6-7 weeks so that's cool. Bella does need some extra fatty acids because her skins so dry and flaky. But I'm guessing that her cystic ovary could have played a part in that as I know in people skin and behaviour can be effected.

Nice to know though, dog food packaging can be a tad difficult to understand and so many sites say different things. It gets confusing

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice