Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update: Pickles and William

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Well, the sad news is that William has returned to his owner. She was very sad to give him to me and it was agreed that if she felt she wanted him back - then she could. He returned to her last week. I really miss him. :(

Pickle's is on her own. I am trying to spoil her as much as I can. My hutch is only a double tier 4 foot long with 4 x 6 foot extremely secure run. I have inquired about someone making a 6 foot long double tier hutch. (As big as my garden will take. If I get this (Some time away) then I plan on having the same guy who made my run make me the same kind of run for the new hutch. At least 6 x 7/8 foot. She has lots of toys, tunnel and hideaways. I brought her inside today as so hot - I placed a wooded hide away in the house today - loo, food and water in too.

The wee pet is a lot more relaxed. She is still nervous and hides a lot. She is perfectly litter trained now since the op. It's fantastic!!! Today she has had no accidents at all in the house. I am getting her a dig box on sat. She'll LOVE it. Also getting a piece of carpet for the run to sit on.

I really want a her to have a friend. Just don't know how I can do this again. I love her very much and will try and bring her in every other day so she's not lonely and gets used to. Will post photos of her inside today - later.
    Jacqui

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Noooo.....william was so nice!!

Have you thought about going via a rescue? They will help bond, and you wont have to return him :)

3. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

awww, poor you and pickles - william was gorgeous :p

I would say check the rescues and see what they have, would be already neutered and will help you with bonding. The new hutch and run sounds like it will be great too!

*Heidi*

4. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Oh no... both you and pickles must be heart broken william seemed her perfect match!

I hope she finds a forever husband soon!

5. frags

frags PetForums VIP

ahh bless hun he was stunning!! dont give up im sure you will find pickles a loving husband soon x

6. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Awww what a shame for you :( I think you should still get her a friend :)

7. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Problem is that when I got Pickles and Lily - I had to go into hospital for 3 weeks. The pets were well looked after - but no-one was here all day. As some of you will remember - Lily turned on Pickles and terrified her. I was unable to come home and sort it out as I was in hospital. I had to make the heart-breaking decision to let Lily (the coolest little rabbit ever - oozing with personality) to the only rescue here in Belfast. She was reserved within days.

Since I gave a rabbit into the rescue - they will not let me rescue a rabbit. I understand this to a certain extent - but I have a lovely home for another rabbit. I have all the love in the world for any animal. My pet's are taken care of to the highest standard. My pets are my world. Circumstances were beyond my control and I had to do what was best for little frightened Pickles. I was - in hospital and could not be at home.

I wrote the girl in the rabbit rescue the most heart-felt letter about the regret I felt at parting with Lily. How all I want was for Pickle's to have a friend. That it was not that I want another pet - it wasn't to make me feel happier. I wanted my Pickle's to be happy and contented and because she did not like human contact - that i felt it was in her best interest to have a friend. The girl did not reply. I felt angered - I felt at the very least - after pouring my heart and soul in that letter - I should have at least had a response. :confused:

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do you not have another rescue near you?

That really does seem a little silly, as you were doing what was best for the animals, not because you no longer wanted your rabbit.

Have a look on here Rabbit Rehome - Adopt an unwanted bunny from a rescue centre . Some rescues will help organise a bunny run in order to get a rabbit to its new home.

Dont give up :)

9. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Thanks Nonnie. Sadly there is only one rabbit rescue - in N.Ireland - or at least - there is only the in that I know of. Each time I see wee Pickle's sitting outside on her own - I feel so sad. :(
    Jacqui

10. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

If the only rescue near you won't let you take another home for a silly reason it may be worth looking for a breeder instead.

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

It might be worth ringing them? Explaining it was a bonding issue with your last bun and that they could help bond a new bun with pickles? I kjnow rescues arent the best at replying to letters if they are busy, not nice for you though I know.

Is this the rescue? http://www.assisi.dnet.co.uk/

#11 crofty, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  12. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Yes, Crofty, that is the right one.
    Jacqui

13. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

You dont have many rescues near you over there do you, its strange. Is there really no other rescues anywhere near you? Where do you all the little bunnies go to :eek:

14. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Tell me about it Crofty!!!! I spent several hours one day trying to find people who rescue bunnies. I had no luck. It's nuts!! I rang a lot of little private places - email and left phone messages everywhere possible. Nothing !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice