Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on the westie

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, May 2, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I made a thread the other day about someone had emailed me wanting advice cause their westie had bitten her.

Well I spent a good hour and a half taking to them today.

It is not aggression, as he isn't like it with anyone else. It is only when they want him to do something he doesn't want to do, and only in their house or car and their mums house occasionally.

The girls' mum said well he has been spoilt. Being such a wee puppy and not being a big breed, it was easy to let him do what he wanted.

It started with a sock.
    When he was wee, it was funny that he stole socks. Then when he was about 7 months old, suddenly it wasn't funny any more and he didn't like that they were now telling him he can't do something he has always done. So he growled when they tried to take the sock off and it has escalated since then.

But they still let him do what he wants some of the time.

He has no recall so he doesn't get to run about, and in the house if he doesn't want to come to you, he wont.

I gave them a list of contacts for APBC behaviourists in their area, and all my training info.

Told them that getting him castrated will be a start. It might not help, but it could.

They have to trick him so they can get out the house, but he doesn't have seperation anxiety. He has issues when one of 'his' people leave the room. If he is with his owners at their mums house, if the grandaughter leave the room he barks.
    I've told him that when he does it, ignor him and when he stops, have that person come back in and sit down. So that he doesn't think that because he barks, that person comes back.

He barks with new people coming in, so I said take him out the room the instant he barks and bring him back in when he is calm.

Working on his stay or wait will mean he will stay put while they leave the house.

He jumps all over everyone so I showed them how to turn away and wait until he put all 4 feet on the ground. The grandaghter is old enough to be able to do this too.

He is now not allowed on the furniture or in the bedroom either.

I've told them how to work on the 'leave' command and if he steals a sock or a shoe meanwhile, then to run away and distract him from it (what they have been doing).

I've told them that it would be a good idea to take him to a class, or even to work with an APDT trainer in their area aswell as taking some advice from an APBC behaviourist.

I've also said that if there are points where they really are scared he will bite, get a basket muzzle. That will give them a bit of confidence that he cannot bite, and that he will be able to tell they are scared.

They are going to get his crate back out and make so that he has somewhere he can go to be safe if he feels anxious too.

I said that the behaviorist will be able to give you the best advice on how to train him to stop thinking if he growls or snaps he is left alone (for things like putting harness on and off etc).

Gave them some advice on feeding and am now looking for a stockist for skinners for them as he is being fed butchers wet, with random treats like tuna etc through it, but he is quite fussy.

And finally I told them it probably is going to get worse before it gets better so please don't give up on him.

They are going to let me know how they get on when they get home, and Im going to help find a vet to get his wee op done as its going to be cheaper driving down here to have it done that getting it done where they live.

I hope I get a good update in the near future :) They were really nice people and he is a lovely wee dog, who has just gotten a bit too big for his boots! Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice