Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

update on our kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Chik, May 5, 2017.

1. Chik

Chik PetForums Newbie

I just wanted to do a small update on Shadow, if anyone remembers I came here for advice about adopting from a shelter. we did change her name in the end, she's called Astrid now, meaning divine beauty. here she is
    IMG-20170503-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20170503-WA0003.jpeg 20170408_173451.jpg 20170408_173517.jpg

when we got her she did have naughty behaviour and we are still working on it but it's gotten a million times better, she does still have her moment. I guess we didn't expect the kind of cat we got, not that we are upset about how/who she is, just we kind of expected a cat who enjoyed cuddles and pets, and she's definitely not that cat.

She had a vet check up a few weeks back and is fully healthy although the vet thinks when she was young she had cat flu due to her watery eyes. I spoke to him about her weight because all she seems to want is to eat constantly and she gets 3 meals a day, basically she eats when we eat and has been put on our schedule. he says she weighs 3.7kg and is in the healthy weight limit. But he did say, they recommend a dry only diet which I'm not keen to do because we feed a wet/dry mix for breakfast and lunch, dinner is usually minced chicken. Am I feeding her wrong?

I also found the best toy a few days ago that was the best purchase I could have made, because it's getting her exercise ans giving her a total distraction through the day, such an odd thing since it's not even a cat toy lol Astrid definitely thinks she's a dog because she runs up the stairs after the ball and brings it to us to do it again.
    IMG-20170503-WA0001.jpeg

AmsMam, KittenKong, Emmasian and 7 others like this.
  2. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Aww welcome Astrid!! She really is a beauty!!

The diet sounds fine to me. A lot of people here would say a wet only diet is preferable but I always say go with the best quality of food you can afford that the cat will eat, and more wet than dry. I fed mostly wet with some dry as a treat in the evening.

I love that toy and will have to invest in one for the HBs!!!

Chik, Babyshoes and Custard Mite like this.
  3. Custard Mite

Custard Mite PetForums Junior

Oh Astrid is indeed a divine beauty:Cat....and she also looks very happy and contented in her new home:)

I'm another who would say feed the best you can afford and whatever seems to suit her best. Personally I do believe that a wet diet is preferable to a dry one but that is just my opinion from doing my own research; having said that, at the moment I'm feeling Sid mainly wet with a few dry biscuits as a treat along with his wet overnight ( he free feeds overnight as he's in and out)

Hehe LOVE the toy too....what a great idea....I wish Sid wanted to play games with me, even as a kitten he just tended to view me as decidedly uncool for trying to entice him into such silliness:rolleyes: :Hilarious

Chik and huckybuck like this.
  4. Gwen9244

Gwen9244 PetForums VIP

What a little black beauty Astrid is. Personally if she's happy on wet food then I would continue to feed her that.

Chik, Custard Mite and huckybuck like this.
  5. Princessmimi

Princessmimi PetForums Junior

She's so lovely! I love the colour of her eyes. What a sweetie!

6. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Aww, she's beautiful!

While I agree that all wet is better than a combination of wet & dry, we're only human & need to just do the best we can manage - if dry is needed for some reason then go ahead & use it, but if you are able to feed all wet, or better yet a balanced raw diet then do that...

7. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Oh Astrid what a gorgeous girl you are! You arent feeding her wrong at all, sounds fine. Feed her what she likes and what you can afford.

Some cats arent cuddly and will never be but doesnt make them any less affectionate. My boy will not tolerate being held at all and very rarely sits on your lap (he likes to sit near you). However he loves a fuss and headbutt all on his terms and has the sweetest nature.

I am sure that you will learn to love all her little quirks and independant personality

X

8. Chik

Chik PetForums Newbie

Thank you all, We really adore her!

also, thought I'd mention we got the toy from b&m :)

haha Aww Sid, he sounds really adorable though! I'd love to see him! actually I'd love to see all your kitties haha

we just love her, and to be honest she is getting more affectionate as the days pass I think it's a matter of gaining trust because at 11 months old this is now her 3rd home, 3rd and last!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice