Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on Ollie in the Garden

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Apr 14, 2011.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hey

Just an update on Ollie's barking in the garden. He's doing fantastically well. :D He can now be outside without anyone being with him (which would have been impossible before, as soon as you walked towards the house, he would start barking to get your attention), he can also actually come in on his own (which he never did before, we always went out with him on a lead so he never decided when he wanted to come back in). It sounds strange that we are highlighting such basic behaviours that should be in every dog, but these behaviours were never anything Ollie did. He now goes out in the garden every day, several times a day. He goes out when we go outside (which is often) and he plays fetch or plays with a wellington boot (which he loves throwing around and thrashing about like its some prey animal :lol:).

Most of the time now, he'll come back in on his own but occasionally he will start bark, usually a pigeon flying overhead will set him off, but we are being consistent and he gets brought inside for time-out if he barks. He does get the message though and will go back outside after time-out and not bark, so its a great training technique. :D

Hopefully in the future, we can take the lead off him, but for the moment, he still needs a light lead to trail behind him so that we can still take action if he barks by picking up the lead and taking him indoors. But it's loads better than it was before for him.

2. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Thats really good to hear, well done to both you and Ollie!

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

thanks. :)

4. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Sounds like hes doing well.:)
    I've got one whos yappy in the garden and its enough to drive me mad, I've just been getting her in every time-but its a long job:rolleyes:

5. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Great news....it's really good to hear about progress, well done the pair of you x

6. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

good to hear.

Interestingly 2 people on seperate occasions have now said to me about cockers they have had that were very difficult to train and they both said they would have had to broken the dogs spirit to get them 100%. I can really relate to this and like them i am just not prepared to do that with Oscar so will have to put up with some of his "ways :rolleyes:" i think rather than stamp them out. They also both said they wouldn't have another as subsequent dogs they owned were just so much easier (both progressed to Goldies lol)

Maybe Ollie will be the same. I just thought you might relate to what they said like i did :confused: Nothing to do with the thread just thought it was interesting 2 people said the same thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice