Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on my baby Rolo and a question.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by BlackroseUK, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BlackroseUK

BlackroseUK PetForums Member

You may have read my recent posts about my cat being on metacam after the back legs/rear end giving away and limping happening.

She's been limping more latley but still is playful and runs etc so I'm gonna take her asap for blood tests as I am sure they are needed.
    We still think it might be neurological as she is twitching on her face which I've never noticed before and she seems to be licking her lips a lot.
    I want to rule out kidney problems, espcially as she may need to go back on metacam for a few more doses.
    Because she's so much better everyone thinks i shouldn't take her but I can't leave it and even it's just a bruise or sprain etc then it's obviously still bothering her ATM even though she's playful and kneading etc.

Anyway the vet asked me on the phone, when I asked about possible kidney problems, if she was still eating ok which she is and when she asked if she was dropping her food I said no. I assumed not. I hadn't really taken much notice of how they ate before altho I'm sure she has always eaten differently to her brother. I watched her eat dinner then and noticed she is licking up the food rather than using her teeth to pick it up like her brother. It's dry food.
    Is this normal? Do some cats eat that way or should I be worried?
    I'll definatly keep an eye on her and how she eats etc and make an appointment for bloods asap.

Surely she wouldn't be in pain if she was running and chasing balls etc? She sees a ball and hides behind the settee to wiggle her bum and pounces on it.

#1 BlackroseUK, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

I don't know about other cats, but Molly always licks her food up, both dry and jelly. I think different cats eat in different ways.

3. BlackroseUK

Thanks. I'm taking her up tmorrow but I'm so scared of what they'll find. Will they kmwo while I'm there or do I have to phone up? I can take her home right? It's only bloods.

4. BlackroseUK

She is going to the vets this morning for bloods and seeing a different vet than she has seen throughout all this.

I phoned yesterday and spoke to the vet she normally sees to request bloods. She told me I could bring her up this morning between 8 and 10.
    Phoned today and had to make a later appointment anyway but reception seemed to think she was staying in and I was picking her up that evening.
    I was told it was just a quick blood test on the table, same as anything else.
    Why would they keep her in?

She ate quite Late last night but I'm not feeding her today before her test, cos she's mainly being tested for kidney, heart and diabetes problems. It's not been 12 or 24 hours since her meal but they said that's ok.
    I don't know how long the results will take but I dont see the point in her saying there the day when she's well in herself.

5. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Hiya

I've left cats with the vets for the day if they are doing blood tests. My vet likes to let the cat calm down a bit from the journey in (even though its only 5 mins for us!) and also will take the blood during a break between appointments, because it usually takes 2 people (one to hold, one to take the blood).

I offered to hold the cat but the vet said he needed someone who wouldnt flinch! They ask a vet nurse to help.

I wouldnt be concerned to leave my cat at the vet - it gives another opportunity for them to monitor them.

6. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

when fluffy girl went in for her bloods she was there most of the day altho she was also put on a drip as they found out she had severe kidney failure
    she went in about 9am, the same day the boys got neutered and i picked them all back up at 5

they will usually keep them in a few hours as if the blood results dont show anything they go onto xrays or other diagnostic tests...

as for the playing around, this is what we assumed about fluffy girl... shes still playing how can she be sick... cats are great at hiding things.. i wouldnt assume that shes ok cause shes playing... ive made that mistake already..

good luck at the vets!

7. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Nothing much to add, everyones pretty much covered it!

It'd be helpful for them to see her dragging her legs like you do, and it allows them to start treatment if anything is urgently required.

Most vets do get blood tests results quite quickly, unless they are being sent away, in which case they'll probably give you a date to phone up on (or make an appointment to take your cat back in).

I hope everything is okay - I'll cross my fingers for you both.

E x

8. BlackroseUK

Thanks for your replies. I really hope they are all fine and we can then try the metacam a little longer to see if it clears it up this time. I'm hoping we dont have to have X-rays and MRI scans etc mainly for fear of her being put under.

She is soaked ATM with some strong smelling alcohol type thing? all over her neck and chest area which she keeps licking and then squinting so it must taste horrid.
    Hope it dries up soon.

She had her dinner and is now just wandering round unsure of what to do really. I know cats are really good at hiding pain etc but surely if her leg was that painful she wouldn't be able to run on it or play? wouldnt she just be lying on her own or hiding like when they're scared?

She isnt really dragging her legs anymore but limping a lot more often, though she can still walk easily on it most of the time. I don't really understand it.

9. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Ah yes, a kind of surgical spirit? it really smells! You could wipe it gently with a damp cloth to dilute, but I find the smell goes after a couple of days.

It sounds like the vet are working through the possible causes. I wouldnt worry too much about the sedation for xrays etc, it is often a lighter sedation than for surgery

10. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Would she let you baby wipe her? That might help clean her up without stressing her out too much.

I'm so hoping that this all goes well. Do you know when you'll hear back?

I'll keep checking back for updates on Rolo :)

11. BlackroseUK

Thanks. I gotta phone back later. As long as it won't hurt her or my other cat licking/smelling in the stuff on her neck I'll leave it.

12. BlackroseUK

I phoned up and spoke to the vet who had seen her before when all this started. She said all bloods are fine...liver, kidneys, blood sugar. Dunno what else they were testing for in it but it was a pre op screening or something she had. They couldnt tell if her heart was ok with the bloods so they said they'll listen to that when she comes up next. But she always has a very high (higher than the normal that's high for a scared cat) whenever she's there and she has had a gallop. That's all very worrying still for me as they won't be able to tell about the heart at all by the looks of it without scans or X-rays.
    I'm aware of the back legs thing being a common syptom also of heart problems.

So as glad as I am there's nothing wrong with her kidneys etc im still none the wiser as to what it all is and worried about her heart...especially as it all happened so suddenly, and shes never had a gallop before either.

Anyway, I'm to give her a dose of metacam today if I got enough left. Up to 5 on the syringe again. And nothing tomorrow. And then take her up Friday afternoon. She will then see if a steroid injection is needed. I forgot to ask what the steroid injection will do and how much it is. Would a steroid injection be dangerous for her heart or anything else that hadn't be looked into more yet? Still so worried!

13. BlackroseUK

Rolo slept most or the day yesterday looking miserable...I think they scraped her neck a bit when they shaved it. She was probably feeling violated and sore. She cuddled up with me after perking up a bit early on in the morning as I stayed up all night with her. The metacam dose probably kicked in by then.

This morning she was limping again but was a lot more alert. After breakfast she wandered a while and sat on my lap purring and kneading away.
    She played a little and has slept all the time since.
    She still looks sorry for herself though.

One thing I'm really worried about as I said is her heart as she is still having muscle spasms all the time when breathing...like theres a second heartbeat more in her chest while she's breathing or like a contraction. If you watch her pulse in her neck you can see palpitations or fluttering after every couple of breaths, though its not an even rhythm.
    She is doing it all the time as if breathing hard, wether at rest, asleep or just sitting there and the only time I didn't see it was when she was lying on me all calm.

I'm hoping this is all just to do with her leg and not her heart but I really domt want to take her back yet for another checkup, a steroid or especially X-rays etc cos yesterday she was so stressed out and all that isn't gonna be good on her heart anyway, especially if somethings wrong. I think she needs a bit of a break and rest first. She's been so much latley she's really scrared now when she goes, and it's really hard on her. I don't want her not to trust me either.
    She's still eating and drinking fine. She didn't drink or go to the toilet for hours last night while she slept but then she woke up and did. Went to pee loads then tho as it had obviously been building up while resting since she got back from the vets that afternoon. So she went hours and hours till early morning before she went to toilet.

Is there anything else that could he causing the spasm things? I'm really worried it's an enlarged heart. Another thing I'm gonna discuss woth the vet tomorrow on the phone is this past week she had been sneezing ( about two or three in a row when she did and it was only three times or so out the week in total) and today I noticed on her left nostril mainly she has what looks like dried kinds shiney dark red/brown mucus or something there. Not loads. Maybe she has a cold or respitory thing then? But she's not coughing, breathing with her mouth open or not eating/drinking etc.
    Hpefully everything is related and not serious and will be sorted out asap so she can get back to normal. I know colds and respiratory conditions are very serious still and I will be keeping a close eye on her. Thing is stress at the vets can cause these things too as well as other serious things.

I was almost convinced she had kidney problems before her bloods all came back normal but this heart thing scares me the most as we still domt know and she has the breathing spams twitching things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice