Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on Minnie & Max-more advice needed pls!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Gemmie, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Gemmie

Gemmie PetForums Junior

Hi I posted on here about a week ago as we have a 3 yr old cat called Minnie and got our 12 week old kitten Max from the RSPCA on saturday.

I'm still really worried Minnie (older cat). She seems to be more of her usual self-shes beginning to get back to her old ways. Although last night she went outside and I got really worried as she didnt come in till a lot later. She also is still VERY VERY wary of Max. She will sit in the same room as him but will still hiss and groan when he walks past her or gets too close. Yesterday she swiped him cause he got too close and today she nearly went for him-running and hissing- and i had to grab Max. This afternoon she hissed and swung her paw in front of him but did not hit him. I keep getting really worried that little Max is gonna get hurt and end up putting Max back in his safe room or sending Minnie outside. My OH just says to leave them to it but I'm just really not sure if Minnie is ready to be on her own with Max-she still seems to hate him.

I have bought some of the FELIWAY and plugged it in yesterday and have been swapping their blankets over so they can get used to each others smell. I just wondered if this is still all normal? Its almost been a week now and I just hate to see Minnie so mad and vicious and hate having to shut Max away. :confused::(

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

A week is a very short time - it can take months! I would go with your OH and leave them to it in the main. Just keep an eye - SHe may pounce on him etc - as long as there is no blood it is all normal sorting out the dominance behavior.

3. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Spid is dead right, a week is not long enough. Introducing a new cat takes a while and it's up to them to sort everything out. Like spid said just keep an eye on them.

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Just to add Feliway takes a week or two to begin to work

5. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Just add - don't give up. Remember that humans tend to think that cats are behaving aggressively when in fact it is normal cat behaviour.

From Messybeasts about cat communication with diagrams:

CAT COMMUNICATION

and the main site:

THE MESSYBEAST CAT RESOURCE ARCHIVE

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice