Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on Mia - I am so proud of her

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

For those that remember the remember the issues I have been having with my rescue GSP Mia, here is a quick update.
    Yesterday morning she happily played in her pen with a 9 month old GR bitch. This was the first time they have met properly. Mia's communication was brilliant and she was relaxed the whole time despite the young dogs gauche manners and excitement.
    In the evening she played in the pen for an hour with a young JRT that she has played with before then they came indoors and into our private apartment. Mia let the other dog play with her toys and they were both with me on the bed chewing either end of the same rawhide bone.
    I still can't take Mia off of the property for a walk because she gets too stressed but I don't care. She has learned how to be a dog that can enjoy other dogs. I am so very proud of her and the fear of the outside will hopefully fade in time.....one step at a time she will get there.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

That's brilliant news - good girl Mia :)

She's making great progress, slow and steady, with your patience and understanding :)

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's fantastic! Am so happy for you both :D

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That sounds absolutely fantastic; really positive progress - well done to you both! :D.

5. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Thank you. The key with Mia seemed to be to give her a safe place where she could watch the world, and other dogs, go by. As soon as we stopped trying the usual things and taking her to places to learn how to do things and instead let all the things come to her, where she felt safe, she was able to to make sense of it all and learn that way at her own pace. I will continue to help her to get used to more and more different dogs in the pen before trying outside because I don't want to put her back. We don't care how long it takes as long as Mia gets better.

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I think I was trying to hard with Roxy in the beginning. I was so determined to 'fix' her that I think I was overdoing things :eek:

Now I have backed off & although we do try new things this is more as a one off, not every walk being about tacking something. We try to enjoy our walks now & she is alot more relaxed, excitable definitely but not stressed as she used to be.

I'm glad you are making progress with Mia, it muct give you such a sense of achievement when you see her enjoying herself :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice