Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on McKenzie’s tum

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:41 AM.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Well, the saga continues as we are still not sure what’s going on! We were testing a combination of strict diet, pre and pro biotics, and an anti inflammatory/anti microbial. This got her to a point where she wasn’t too bad, but still not right. Gas seems to be a big part of her problem, so the vet suggested activated charcoal. Would you believe that actually made her worse again! So we are not quite back to step one, but certainly gone backwards. New plan is a stool test, and then another med to try to tackle the gas.

Poor wee mite!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Aw, poor Kenzie - it seems to be taking forever to get to the bottom of this. Hope the test and new meds give you some results :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yeah it really does! I think it’s because every time we try something we then have to wait to see what will happen. For the food trial alone we had to wait 10 weeks. She was at the point where I could tell she was uncomfortable but not in pain, but now the pain is back. So frustrating.

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Bless McKenzie!

Must be so frustrating for you, but the vet is really trying so sounds good to me

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Oh dear let's all send our strongest healing vibes that this is solved soon. These things are so difficult to crack. And she looks to be living life to the full in all the fab pics you post too.

Stoic.

All best wishes for a quick resolution:)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes luckily a decent morning walk will sort her out and then she’ll generally be ok for the rest of the day. Thankfully I’m in the position at the moment that I can give her a good walk most mornings. If she only gets a short lead walk or no walk then it does tend to persist throughout the day.

tabelmabel likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That does at least seem to suggest/confirm the problem is in the gut as exercise helps push everything along.

Are the meds she’s on like Colofax, Buscopan etc. which are human meds for IBS?

I find they help me.

Also Aloe Vera is beneficial to some people - is it safe for dogs?

(Sorry if this has all been suggested/tried before ;))

tabelmabel likes this.
  8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes the fact that exercise usually resolves it (regardless of whether she poops on a walk or not) stops me from worrying it’s something too serious.

She’s on Salazopyrin which is used in people for IBD. I can’t remember what the new drug he’s going to try is called but it’s supposed to target gas producing bacteria, in case that’s the cause of the gas in her tummy.

I’m not sure whether dogs can have aloe Vera! My vet has said previously he doesn’t just want to throw meds at her if he can help it, which is why we tried the activated charcoal first. If she still has a problem after these new meds I think I might ask for some exploratory testing.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Member

Poor little girl.It's awful when you can't get to the bottom of what's wrong so don't know how to best help them.Fingers and paws crossed here for good news.

10. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Argh what a pain!!! (literally!)
    If exercise seems to help then could you get a physio to show you some stretches? I'm thinking maybe stretching out her tum before and/or after eating might help?
    So annoying that you seem to take 1 step forward and then 2 steps back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice