Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on husbands allergy

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jem29, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

My husband has developed asthma from having the kitten, he had an allergy to cats as a child but it seems it has not gone away. He is usually wheezy and has a permenant cough. He has seen 2 doctors and both have said his allergy will get worse and one day he is bound to have anaphalactic (sp) shock. Is this true?? they have said he HAS to get rid of the cat, but he refuses to because he knows it will break mine and my sons heart, our son cried so much when he heard that:(

What to do?? will things get better once he is out and about outside? at what age can he? he is 12 weeks now.

I am just not sure whats to do, I can't see hubby like this much longer it isn't fair to him but the thought of pebbles leaving upsets me so much:(

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Poor hubby :(

Do the other pets bother him or just cats? :(

Not sure even what to say, if it really is that bad and it is impacting on his health I guess you have to re-home him, at least he is young enough to settle into a new place.

Hope it works out for you *hugs*

3. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Just cats:(

I just can't imagine getting rid of him, it upsets me so much.

4. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

this is terrible news, im so sorry.

if you do have to give him to a new family at least your doin wats best for him and your hubby.

good luck with watever you decide. we're all here for you if its not a happy decision

5. will562

will562 PetForums Junior

Sorry to say but it probably won't make any difference if your cat is out and about. i know one of the reasons Landlord's don't allow cats and dogs as even once the cats have left, the carpets will still contain whatever it is that causes these allergies. I have experienced this with my brother when we moved into our flat as he had reactions and i know that the previous person moved out 3 months before. Sorry!

6. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

I just don't know what to do:confused:

New husband??;)

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I would have to disagree as I'm also allergic which brings on asthma and when they are kittens it does really effect me but as soon as they start going out and about I rarely suffer at all and one of my kitties sleeps in bed with me :)

I think it also makes a huge difference having the windows & doors open as much as possible but again this you cant do at the kitten stage.

Did you try the pet wipes and is their a room in the house where kitty is not allowed? such as the bedroom?

Its a hard decision I know :)

8. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I'm allergic to cats, which brings on asthma... i don't have a problem with the cat it self & i do my best to interact with my friends, family, neighbours cats etc...

It doesn't matter if the windows are open or the cat hasn't been around for a while, the allergy is still a trigger!

if you value your partners health at all & want to keep your cat/s you could always get a kennel/cattery... life is al about compromise...;)

9. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

I don't want to see my husband suffering but I don't want to rehome our cat, he is part of the family now.

I did try to wipes, but no joy. I have just ordered petal cleanse.

10. munners

munners PetForums Junior

Hi So sorry for your dillema this may not be of any use as i dont have a fix for your present situation and if you do find you have too look for another home for your baby,Maybe some time in the future you could look at the siberian breed most people with allergys are not affected by this breed of cat.

My Sons girlfriend is very allergic too cats but is fine with my siberian cat she can even have her curled up on her lap sleeping and has no reaction at all.

Best of luck
    Nicki

11. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you so much, I shall look into that if this problem continues.

Ju xxxxx

12. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Hiya,

Normally I'd say yes to this, however in your case your husband sounds very caring so probably not in this case :)

It's a difficult one and I hope you find a solution, I'm afraid I don't have any useful suggestions though :eek:

13. Jem29

Jem29 PetForums Member

Thank you;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice