Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on house training for 10month old JRT

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tamsworld, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Tamsworld

Tamsworld PetForums Junior

Well, as lots of you will probably know, Ive had some problems with my JRT seemingly 'forgetting' her house training since we moved into the new flat four months ago.

Well, Im trying a new tack. And fingers crossed it seems to be working!

The dogs (Lizzie plus my flatmates two dogs) used to have the run of the living room, kitchen and hallway during the day, and Lizzie would use the sofa as her pee mat, a habit which she just did not want to break.

Well, last week when I was out, I tried shutting them out of the living room, so they just had the hallway (which is quite large) and kitchen, as well as access to food, water, bed, toys, and natural light. They were all very calm and totally unphased by this change!

And Lizzie hasnt had one single accident since!

As soon as I get home I take them all out and she goes straight away (I do use the phrase "be quick" so she knows what she's out there for), but she's been really good at telling me when she needs to go out as well.

She's also not allowed on any of the furnishings - bed, sofa, footstool.... and she knows this already. She now sleeps in her basket which is by my bed, and she stays there all night curled up next to me!

Im also teaching her to 'heel' rather than strain on the lead which she was really bad at doing. That I think will take quite some time, but Im certainly going to do my best.

Much much more positive than before, and very proud that she's doing so well already x

2. rona

rona Guest

Well done, it just needs a bit of perseverance and we all usually get there in the end. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice