Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on Flynn.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Malmum, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

We finally got to Fitzpatrick Referrals, after an hour long hold up on the M25 and Flynn was sooo happy to be there, silly dog and really pleased to see Noel. :)
    Noel watched him walk and thought he may also have a back problem, because of how he walked.
    He tested his reflexes - all okay, then came the physical exam. He flexed the new hip stretching it right out, bending it up and rotating it round in circles, no pain and no reaction from Flynn. :)
    Then he did the same with his right hip - definitely pain there as Flynn let out a few loud yelps.
    Next he felt his spine, then crouched behind Flynn while five of us held him, lifted his back legs off the ground, while he had his chin on his spine (said he can feel movement that way) and flexed them out - Flynn cried in pain. So a problem with his spine is suspected. It could just be because Flynn has had to use his back to help compensate for the bad hip, also while he was recovering from the last op he hasn't had a good hip to rely on.
    So before the hip replacement today Noel is doing and MRI scan, he wants to see if there is any compression of the discs in the lower back, causing pressure on the nerves there, or if it's just due to back pain caused by compromising the right hip.
    We are very hopeful that it's the latter because if it's compression he would need medication, physiotherapy and acupuncture. Spinal surgery would be a last option but the other treatments would be used first.
    Either way the hip needs replacing as his back won't improve while he's using it to compensate for the hip.
    After all that stress and pain Flynn was still pleased to see everyone, no sign of aggression and happily went off with the nurse - he's such an angel and a really brave boy. :)

So now just waiting for the call from Noel and keeping fingers crossed Flynn doesn't have a back problem to deal with too.

His insurance has been a Godsend because without it my poor boy would not be able to cope with all of his problems and if in pain i'd have little option but to lose him.

2. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Fingers crossed for the back problem. And I'm awaiting the phone call too :)

xxxxxxxx

3. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Sounds as if he has been very tolerant and brave already. Hoping for the best news possible for you all :)

4. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

What a sweetheart. He's lucky to have you as his mum. Fingers crossed for good news on his back, and hope the hip op goes well

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Aww!! That place seems amazing :) Good luck to Flynn :)

6. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

What a brave soldier :)
    Hope it all works out well for him...big huggles!

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Don't know about the good mum thing - i'm the one who's been deciding when to give him pain killers and have only been looking at how he walks, never gave a thought to back problems. :(

You know how you feel guilty that you should have done better but he is so brave I just cut his walks down and thought that would do. Never mind, after the scan we'll know more and he will be having good pain relief as from today so at least that's comforting. Do feel a bit wicked though but he's always so chirpy I didn't know.

8. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

You adore that dog and you do everything possible for him! And he knows it too :) The fact he's so bright and happy is because you're a good mum! You can't blame yourself that you've managed his pain and such so well!

He'll tell you himself how much he loves you when he's home
    xxxx

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Oh poor Flynn :( Banjo send's heaps of sympathy in the back department. Everything crossed here for good results xxx

10. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Waiting for an update here! Poor lad having to go through this again. You cannot blame yourself if there is a back issue: he was bound to have to compensate somehow, bless him. He'll soon be back up and healthy. :)

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

if there is a back issue it will hopefully sort itself once he has his hip healed and steady under him!

paws and fingers crossed for your furry dude

12. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

Hope everything goes ok, and it's not a problem with his back, good luck being sent to you ,hugs & kisses too.:)

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed for Flynn (and you!). It is certainly a good example of why you should get the best insurance you can, thank goodness you did.

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

You're right there. You think sometimes it's a lot of expense each month with all the dogs but when something like this happens it's so worth it. I could never have put enough money aside for what Flynn's had done so far and after today it'll be in excess of £12,000 since he was born, and all for £17 per month. You really can't beat it can you? :)

15. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Certainly can't - you would have to have made a truly heartbreaking decision by now; peace of mind and the knowledge that you can give a dog every chance is worth every penny :)

Flynn sounds like he is being very stoic about it all too.

16. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

I hope all goes well for Flynn, you are a good mum but I know what you mean about feeling guilty.

You have done everything you could possibly do for Flynn and I hope his back is ok. The main thing is he is in the best possible place and in very capable hands.

If any of my dogs need surgery in the future I know where I will take them.

Flynn and Domino have both been very brave and I am conviced that Domino knows that I only put him through his io for his own good.

Best wishes

Val and Domino xx

17. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

What a lucky boy Flynn is to have a mumsy like you.. Fingers crossed there are no back problems. Thinking of you both.. Suki and Bailey send their hugs and licks to Flynn..

18. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

fingers crosses Flynns back isn't serious.

and hugs to you, i know how lost you are without him

19. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Big hugs to Flynn and you. Hope his back problems are only due to having to compensate for his hips.

20. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I hope Flynn's hip operation cures his back problems. Poor love, I know how he feels with his bad back. Give him a big hug from me, and you can give that lovely Noel the vet a hug for me too :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice