Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on Cookie.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by vivien, Nov 12, 2020.

1. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Firstly thank you all for those lovely PF vibes.
    The vet has phoned Kaz and told her he has removed 2 discs. He said they are keeping her sedated until tomorrow morning. Then they will have an idea how she is going to recover. I asked Kaz how she will cope without those 2 disks, she said she forgot to ask. @SusieRainbow. Kaz has been on a Daxi page on FB. And they have given her lots of advice. She said they told her she can get a lead that supports her back when Cookie will be able to go for a walk, and they told her you can get incontinent nappies. Both things she is going to ask the vet about tomorrow. I just hope all will be well when Cookie wakes up tomorrow. But I know whatever the outcome Cookie will be very spoilt when she comes home.
    Viv xx

2. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Ouch poor Cookie but glad they have been able to do something for her. Wishing little Cookie a fast and pain free recovery xxxxx

vivien likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Reena had one disc removed and the surgeon also performed a procedure called 'fenestraton', where the vertebrae are given a wider opening to prevent the dsc prolapses happening again.
    I know the page on FB that you mention, it was very helpful to us. I used a scarf under Reena's tummy to support her for a couple of weeks until she was steady and I had to run to keep up with her.!
    As for nappies we never needed any , apart from a couple of little accidents she was fine.
    I will look out for updates but wish you, Kaz and Cookie lots of healing vibes and luck.xx

PS - PF vibes are magic!

chillminx and vivien like this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for the update Viv , hopefully Cookie will soon be on the mend and back home .
    Lots of positive healing vibes on their way to Cookie and her human family x

vivien likes this.
  5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Lots of good luck for brave Cookie, hope al goes well tomorrow xx

vivien likes this.
  6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. I will pass on your wishes to Kaz. Xx
    Thank you. I will tell Kaz about using a scarf. Also about how quickly Reena recovered. I can’t tell you how much you have helped. I just think it’s a shame that this happens to such a lovely breed. Yes PF vibes are magic.xx
    Thank you buffie. Kaz really appreciates these lovely PF vibes. I will update as soon as I know anything. Xx

LinznMilly and buffie like this.
  7. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. It’s going to be a tense night for Kaz and family. I just hope Kaz gets the news she is hoping for. Xx

Charity likes this.
  8. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Poor Cookie, I hope she starts to heal & her vet is happy with how she looks in the morning.
    I wish her a speedy recovery & she’s up & about in no time.
    I’m sure the five days she’s there she will be made such a fuss of.

As I said before my Lady dog had her cataract surgery done there (both eyes were done at the same time), her team of vets & vet nurses were fantastic, she goes there every six months for follow up appointments.
    I can’t fault the hospital at all, it’s one of the leading hospitals in the country & a huge training hospital.
    I know the next five days will be hard for your daughter but Cookies in safe hands.

Sending a heap full of PF healing vibes for Cookie, a hug for you & your daughter xx

vivien and Summercat like this.
  9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, it is a shame this lovely breed is so affected.
    Once Cookie is well on the road to recovery Kaz might be interested in reporting this episode to the Dachshund Breed Council, I submit a report for all health issues as they occur and they really help with research.
    https://dachshundbreedcouncil.wordpress.com/

vivien likes this.
  10. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Sending healing vibes to poor Cookie and hugs to you and your daughter @vivien !

vivien likes this.
  11. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Healing vibes and good wishes to Cookie and your daughter.
    ☘️

vivien likes this.
  12. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. It is hard for them all. Cookie is a big part of their lives. Xx
    Thank you I will let Kaz know. Cookie is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. She definitely is boss of my daughter’s house lol. Xx

LinznMilly likes this.
  13. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. Xx
    thank you. Xx

14. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

UPDATE!
    The vet has called Kaz. Cookie has come round and taken a couple of steps. That is fantastic news. She hasn’t eaten or been for a wee or eaten. So he says if she does go he will express her later. He said he will try and ring back later but if he can’t he will ring tomorrow. I think this is really positive. I am sure all your positive vibes have helped. So a big thank you from all of us.
    Viv xx

15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds very positive ! What a brave little girl she is. Big love and support to all of you - Reena is cheering her on !

LinznMilly and vivien like this.
  16. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. She is so brave bless her. I just hope she goes a wee. It won’t be a very nice experience for her if the vet has to express her.
    Viv xx

17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Onwards and upwards Cookie ,hope you are soon back home .
    Topping up those extra special PF healing vibes xx

vivien likes this.
  18. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

One of my FB friends had a dachshund who had the surgery a few weeks before Reena , unfortunately she ddn't recover mobilty and had to be expressed 3-4 times a day. I don't think it's a big deal when done by someone experienced but hopefully Cookie will wee independently.
    I remember vividly waiting by the phone for news of Reena weeing and she did bless her.

LinznMilly and vivien like this.
  19. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

That's wonderful news. Let's hope she can manage on her own today. Sending lots of love to a super little dog xx

vivien likes this.
  20. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. Xx
    Thank you. That sounds promising. Xx
    thank you. I hope she will too. Xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice