Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on Banjo...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BredaKim, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Breda - I can see you on line - how is he doing?

2. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Hi...Not good news I'm afraid...

It appears Banjo has got Haemophilia Factor 8:(...
    I didn't manage to speak to the vet, my partner did.
    They have asked that Banjo be left in the vet overnight again to let him rest more and they want to speak to us face to face tomorrow.
    I'm not sure what they will suggest, whether it be best to let him go or not.
    I have looked it up on the web and most of it is 'gobbledeguke' to me to be honest and based around a vets knowledge rather than 'laymans' talk.
    Some american sites have reported that the factor 8 can be replaced in rats and small dogs... But most say even running can cause haemotomas and bleeding into the joints...(and what do dogs enjoy most??) this can cause lameness...pain etc.
    Its all very confusing:confused:...we will know more tomorrow I suppose...I hope :confused:

Breda

3. BredaKim

Thanks for asking Elena :eek:

Breda
    xx

4. Oh dear.....I just looked too.

5. BredaKim

Hi,

Been to see the vet today...Banjo has severe Haemophilia A Factor 8 :( .
    He is looking much better at the moment and very lively and they have let us take him home with us...he's just having a large doggy chew at the moment with mom (Megan).
    The advise from the vet is if he bleeds again to have him put to sleep, he said it would be unfair to expect a pup his age to have transfusions for the rest of his life. given his history since being born...it's happening regularly...but not to the degree of this last bleed...which was more than likely caused from his last injection site...it was in the same place as the lump and is a known cause for bleeding in haemophiliacs.
    I'm amazed my vet didn't pick something up when they took all the other blooming x-rays he had for all his bumps and swelling to joints before! Surely they would have seen a clot of blood around a swollen joint?? or does it not show up on x-ray??
    I have looked it up on the web and the life expectancy for puppies with the problem isn't good. Especially when it is evident so early in life.
    He's on two types of tablets, an anti-biotic and vitamin K which apparently helps the blood to clot. His blood count when we first took him to the vets was 12...since the transusion from Meg it's 32...so has gone up a fair amount. He seems very happy to be home, but I'm mindful of him getting too excited and causing an injury to himself again , which may cause further bleeding. He wants to play fight with Meg and neither can understand why we can't let this happen:rolleyes:
    How can I make a puppy understand that he can't play rough or bounce around the house like before?? Such a shame!
    He has to go back in two weeks for further checks and to make sure all is well...but the vet is not confident that he will make it through without further bleeds...so we are just making the most of the time we have left with him...lots of love and hugs etc!
    My worst bloody nightmare come true!
    I have to now let all the other parents know (that had pups from us) just incase they have a pup who is affected. The vet reckons that they may show no signs of it at all and it may only be Banjo tht is affected...but I can't take a chance on one of their pups going in for minor operations etc and finding out then that they have a pup who could be potentially very poorly or die. Not going to be easy to break it to them:(
    Will keep you updated on his progress...hopefully:eek:

Breda x

6. Oh - bless pooor little chappy. Give him a nice cuddle from me, and a lots of kisses; tell him that everybody loves him and would like him to get better.

7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

My thoughts are also with you both at this difficult time. Have faith, and take support from the goodwill messages.

It really does help, as I know from my previous experience losing my much loved dog Zak.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice