Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update on Banjo...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BredaKim, Dec 26, 2007.

1. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Hi All...and a Merry Christmas to all...
    Banjo...the pup who had lung worm that developed into pnuemonia...recovered well, after a few days in hospital and lots of injections and antibiotics...
    Latest saga's...we have been very very busy with this poor darling!
    Thought he had damaged his leg...was swollen at the elbow...in for x-rays...no damage :confused:
    Thought he had damaged his shoulder late on a saturday night getting off settee :eek: spent the night with him on my belly...shattered...vets early next morningin for x-rays...no breaks...no fractures :confused:
    swelling on other elbow...back to vets...MORE x-rays...seen orthopedic surgeon....no damage showing :confused:
    early this morning...develops a swelling...size of half a golf ball...back of neck...not sore to touch, appears comfortable, but very quiet, not himself, by this evening...size of half large orange...:( not a flipping clue this time, back to vets first thing in morning...see what it is. He doesn't appear to be in any pain with it, rolls on it and everything :confused: but I'm really worried...it seems to be growing at an enormous rate :( scared it's something sinister, hope I don't loose him, we have grown to adore him!!

Breda :(

2. PatioDogDoors

PatioDogDoors PetForums Member

hoping for the full recovery.

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Poor boy, let us know how he gets on.

4. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

oh poor thing, fingers crossed he makes a full recovery quickly:(,

5. Breda - I was thinking of you - you just dessappeared from the list.
    There are a lots of forums and chat lists about cats - where one could get some answers from other's people experiences - most times its rather clear answers (comparasing for what you can get from some Vets)
    Do you know any such as chat lists/forum about dogs?
    Something like this for example:
    Pet Discussion, Pet Forum, Discuss your pet and pet care
    You could try to search the Internet too.
    Good luck.

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

sorry to hear about your poor boy, hope all goes well

7. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Awww i hope he's ok, keep us updated

8. BredaKim

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the well wishes...well off to the vet we went first thing this morning. Vet gave him a full examination and thought maybe it was fluid...said he was a bit too young to have cancer:confused:and it would be very unusual for his age (15 weeks).
    Anyway he decided to keep him in and put him to sleep, so they could drain the 'fluid' off...he said it may be too traumatic to do it while he was awake.
    So we left him AGAIN...going home and hoping for the best. (Vet said it may only take a few hours).
    We got a call about 2 hours later from the vet, he said he was rather shocked and quite concerned as when he drained the fluid off, it turned out to be blood:( (bear in mind this 'lump' had gone from a small golf ball size on the back of his neck to a large half orange...this morning it was the size of a melon half and went right down the left shoulder into the left front leg). He said the Haematoma was large and he was concerned why it had not clotted.
    He asked if Banjo had access to any rat poison. I said no, absolutely not.
    He said that he was going to wake him up now it was drained and let him come home with antibiotics, we then have to take him to our local vets tomorrow morning for further blood tests to see whats going on, and why his blood is not clotting.
    So, upset but thinking OK...lets get through this:( The vet told us to come and collect him in an hour.
    We arrived at the vets to find that when they had woken him he had had diorrhea everywhere, he had also started to bleed into the neck again. They think he has 'nicked' a vein somehow. But he has had no traumas...and there was no pain to the touch...seems odd to have had a 'trauma' to the neck and not to show any pain?? :confused:
    So he is in overnight AGAIN...and we have to wait for more tests to be done tomorrow. The vet said that if its something to do with his blood not clotting, things could be quite tricky...not sure what he meant by that...did he mean it may be best to let him go??:(

Breda

9. BredaKim

Hi Elena,

Yes, I did rather dissapear didn't I...I am a Manager of a care home and Christmas is a very busy time...respite etc...I had one very old man die yesterday morning, was very traumatic for the staff...not the least for me to tell the family...on christmas day :( I have been VERY busy...and missed the boards.
    But back now for the time being...only day off today and been running around like a mad woman! Back to work tomorrow :rolleyes: oh well!

10. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear that the poor little thing has been through so much so young, I hope you have some better news tomorrow:(

11. BredaKim

Me too!!

This little fella has been through so much since he was born!! It seems never ending...I just want him to be a happy healthy puppy, he is just adorable!!:eek:

12. I'll have everyhting crossed for him, and sending all positive vibes...Pooor fury baby...he sounds such as fighter. Vets do sometimes insist - quite heavily - to put animals to sleep. The thing which bothers me here - they dont really give any answers. Did they manage to find out what is it?! Do they offered to put him to sleep without a proper diagnosis?

13. BredaKim

They haven't as yet Elena...I just wondered at his comment...'it could make things really tricky'...I want to know exactlywhats wrong with him before having to make any major decisions. Bless him, he'ssuch a good boy...spoiled rotton however LOL!
    We or they don'tknow what it is as yet...more blood tests tomorrow...whether they will be able to tell me anything then is another matter, I'm hoping they can. :confused:

14. When you at home - and calm - write dawn all you questions....suggestions,. It works better that way; at the Vets everything goes our of your head. Dont hesitate to bring your list with you (may be your baby's health depends on every little detail)
    Ask them to refer you to any spesialists. Let them know that you do love you pup and that you prepared to pay for treatments.

15. 'it could make things really tricky'...SOUNDS JUST LIKE LACK OF KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE, HE DONT KNOW AND DONT WANT TO ADMIT IT.
    Just ask - what is is exactly we are dealing with?

16. PatioDogDoors

i'll just wish Banjo to feel better.

17. BredaKim

Hey All,

Had a call from the vet this morning and its not looking good:(:( Banjo is still bleeding.
    They asked us to take Megan round (which we have) so she can give a blood to him. She is going to be sedated as they want to take a fair amount. They are hoping that this will help Banjo with his red blood cells so he can start clotting.
    They let me see him when we dropped Megan off and he looks so poorly, very weak, and the swelling where the blood is gathering is huge...and now also under his neck.
    He has bald patches on top half of body from blood tests and drips etc.
    I asked the vet what his chances were and they are apparently very poor.
    They think he may have Haemophilia and this is the reason he isnt clotting. They are going to test Meg to see if it has been passed on from her (although she has always been a very healthy dog, she can apparently carry a gene? and pass it on to pup).
    We should know more later today after the transfusion. Meg will be tired and will take a couple of weeks to recover apparently. We have everything crossed for Banjo...me and the kids have done nothing but cry!! :( I really hope we dont loose him, we love him so much!! so keep him in your prayers for me please.

Breda

18. BredaKim

Been back to the vets to collect Megan (Banjo's mum) the transfusion went well and Banjo is a bit brighter. He has had half the blood and will have the rest later tonight. We should know the results of the blood tests by tomorow...as to whether he has Haemophilia or not. Vet said "depending on type...it may be best to let him go or he may have to come in for transfusions for the rest or his life and being so young this would not be fair on the pup" :( Hoping it is a kind that can be treated easily (didn't actually know there was more than one type:confused:) so fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow. So tired with it all...I could sleep for a week!
    Meg is knackered and having lots of fussing,she has done her bit for him...she has been pining all night...probably wondering where he is! Bless!

Breda

19. You're both need a very good supper to recover....Poor boy - fingers crossed....

20. PatioDogDoors

still continue praying for Banjo's quick recovery

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice