Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Update and help with wound and allergy!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by moomoowawa, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:08 AM.

1. moomoowawa

moomoowawa PetForums Member

Hello everyone!

I have been away for a bit and wanted to give you an update and seek your advice too

Last time I posted was about a month ago, and since then my two cats (Watson, the black one and Moustique the tabby) have transitioned from urban apartment cats to countryside semi outdoor cats.

I kept them in for four months and then slowly started letting them out. I was a complete nervous wreck for the first two weeks, but now we've gotten into a routine. They both hang out on the garden, or scale the fence and disappear into the wild meadow, where they have been learning to hunt crickets and stuff. They don't disappear for hours, they always come back to "check in" every half hour, which I'm so relieved about! I let them out in the morning, and then keep them in from 4pm on, in preparation for when it starts getting dark early in the winter. They seem really happy with their new life and I'm so glad.

Since talking to you guys and getting Watson onto a high quality wet food, his chronic vomiting has stopped. Thank you so much for that.

Also for anyone interested, I tried TrustedHousesitters for the week I was away on holiday, and it was a fantastic experience. I met a lovely couple who did a brilliant job caring for my cats. I cant recommend it enough.

Now I need your help with another issue!

When I got back from holiday (a month ago) I noticed both cats had small scabby bumps around their head and neck, and one or two very small ones around the fringes of their ears. It was quite strange as I've never seen anything like it on them before. Watson had a particularly large and nasty looking one at the base of his neck. I deflead them using Advantage spot on.

A week ago I noticed that the scab at the base of his neck had turned into an open wound.

I called the vet out because he had a bit of a temperature and had gone off his food. The vet gave him an anti biotic jab and tablets and now hes back to normal. I also showed the vet the wound, and the vet said he thought it looked like Watson had a flea allergy. I started researching this and it makes so much sense. Watson is a really aggressive over groomer, and I feel so guilty for the past two years I thought this was to do with being confined indoors. But now that they can go outside and he's still doing it, and in light of this wound, I'm thinking this could be the root of the issue.

The vet told me to put "bétadine" on it (I don't know what this is called in English, it's like a red coloured antiseptic), but he didn't seem overly concerned by this wound :-/ He also told.me that living in the countryside now, Advantage doesn't protect from ticks and mites.

So now I have several questions I need your help with!
    1) How can I care for a cat with a flea allergy in the long term? How can I prevent this if hes going outside?
    2) What can I use against ticks and mites as well as fleas?
    3) Can I get an oral defleaer? I dont see how I'm supposed to use a spot on when he has this wound.
    4) How do I care for the wound and get it to heal?

He had his jabs a little over a month ago, so I'm wondering if the wound is the result of injection + flea/tick + spot on all going on in the same general area

It's horrible to see, any advice welcome :-/

As usual, Moustique is absolutely fine...

And for your viewing pleasure:
    Moustique rolling around (why lie on the grass when you can lie on tarmac?):

Watson's first ever time outdoors, and the moment he first scales the fence:

#1 moomoowawa, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:08 AM
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    sandy-cat, SbanR and Soozi like this.
  2. moomoowawa

@chillminx I hope you're well :) I ran a search for flea allergy on here and saw a few years ago you recommended Yumega as a long term aid. Do you still recommend this?

chillminx likes this.
  3. moomoowawa

Oh and another thing: I gave Moustique a proper going over and shes completely free of any bites since Advantage. Her skin is in perfect condition. So does this mean Watson is just scratching at old scabs? In which case should I be giving him any anti flea or tick treatment at all? I'm so confused :-S

4. moomoowawa

Bumping shamelessly!

chillminx likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @moomoowawa, good to hear from you. :) Lovely videos ;)

I am very pleased to hear your cats are settling in their new environment and being able to enjoy the outdoors. :)

Yumega contains omega 3 which is good for improving skin condition. You cut open the capsule and squeeze the oil (or powder) on to food and mix it well. However it is not going to heal a wound.

I should think the wound is not healing because Watson keeps scratching at it and getting bacteria in it. It could be that when you put the Advantage on him it caused a sore patch on the back of his neck which irritated him.

I found Advantage spot on did the same thing to one of my cats (made a sore itchy patch on the back of his neck) so I stopped using it and gave my cat Program liquid suspension through the winter and then started him on Bravecto spot on in the Spring. He is fine with Bravecto, especially as it only needs to be given every 3 months.

Bravecto protects against fleas and ticks but not mites. The only spot-on I know of that protects against mites (or kills mites) is Advocate. It contains the same insecticide as Advantage + other ingredients including a wormer.

Has the vet actually diagnosed the cats with ear mites?

For management of a cat with a flea allergy it is vital to treat them every month without fail with a flea product. if you prefer not use a spot-on you could use Comfortis chewable tablets.
    They are quite large tablets and not all cats like the taste, but worth a try I think.

My cat came to me (as a rescued stray) with a flea allergy. After I had the flea situation under control he was still itchy on his neck, ears, and lower back and covered in scabs. I discovered the flea allergy had triggered a food allergy. I put him on an elimination diet for 8 weeks and identified that he is allergic to beef, chicken, fish and grains.. So his diet excludes those now and he is fine.

In case you'd like to read about elimination diets, here is the link to the pinned thread:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/elimination-diets.509821/

I think you should bathe Watson's wound with cooled boiled water and cotton wool daily. And I would put Leucillin antiseptic on it, as they tend to tolerate it better and do not lick it off. It is the best antiseptic I have used for cats.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/searchterm?searchTerm=leucillin antiseptic&pageSize=24

Please let us know how things go. :)

EDIT: sorry I forgot to say that both Comfortis tablets and Bravecto spot on are prescription medicines only. I think your vet should stock them.

https://www.comfortis.com/

6. moomoowawa

Thank you so much for your help @chillminx.

No, the vet didn't diagnose him with ear mites. To be honest, because of the location I'm really starting to think he had a seriously bad reaction to the spot on. I'm so upset, this wound is awful. Yesterday I started doing what you suggested, bathing with cooled boiled water and then antiseptic. But he's just scratching himself so badly, on the wound and around the ears and really sucking away between his toes :-( I can't find any evidence of fleas on him or on Moustique. The vet didn't seem to think it was a big deal and just said it happens.

I'm leaning towards using Capstar and the Program suspension just because I'm seeing loads of scary things online about the Comfortis tablet, although obviously it would be easier to just give the Comfortis.

I just really don't know what to do about this wound though. It doesn't seem to hurt him despite it being really raw. He doesn't flinch or anything when I bathe it or put antiseptic on it. I just don't get it. How could he have such a severe reaction to the spot on? And why hasn't he had one before? Or maybe he has in the past, and he just didn't scratch at it, so it never got worse and healed. It's concealed by fur when he's sitting and walking with his head up, you can only see it when his head is down. I don't know how long to leave it and wait and see.

7. moomoowawa

I really think that FAD is the culprit here. It explains so much. But this is really frustrating, having a cat with FAD and also a massive reaction to the actual flea treatment. I'm feeling really upset and defeatist here, it's like I can't do right by him :-(

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The awful thing with a wound on the back of the neck is that one can't put the cat in a protective collar to stop them scratching.

Poor Watson does sound very itchy indeed particularly as his paw pads seem affected. If the wound is getting worse, no sign of healing I think you have to go back to the vet. Watson sounds as though he needs steroids to stop the itching and inflammation, and a course of antibiotics to treat the infection. It sounds like it has become too severe to treat topically.

When sores get bad on a cat they can be hard to heal because they keep getting opened up and infected by the cat scratching.

I don't blame you for not wanting to use a spot on again. I wouldn't want to risk it either, just in case. The Program suspension worked Ok for my cats through the winter. Capstar kills adult fleas on the cat and is effective for about 24 hours.

If is FAD, then it may also have triggered a food allergy, or an environmental allergy. What foods is he on? Have you considered trying an elimination diet for him?

moomoowawa likes this.
  9. moomoowawa

As usual, thank you so much for your wisdom @chillminx .

Small update which may be of use to others. FWIW, yesterday I was severely PMSing which I'm pretty sure contributed to my despondency

Yesterday evening I went to the vet and they gave me an absolute godsend. It's called Credelio and it's a pill for both fleas and ticks, I believe it's quite new. It's a very small pill too and coated in vanilla (weird). Watson gobbled it right up completely undisguised! I think this is the perfect solution for him and I'll be using it from now on.

For the wound, they gave me something called Predniderm which is a cream that's both anti inflammatory and antibacterial. You have to very gently massage it in which I did and I heard him whimper. Before that I had been using the "betadine", which for anyone interested is technically called "povidone iodine" and seems to have done alright at drying it up.
    This morning I am pleased to see that the wound looks much less garish and raw.

As a small aside, last month I discovered a fantastic disguise food for getting Moustique to take her wormer. Just on the off chance anyone reads this and wants to try, she smells pills through tuna, sardines, yummy cat food, yoghurt, cheddar, you name it. The one thing I have found to trick her is paté. Like dairy this is obviously not a good thing to feed your cat, but in a very small amount for pill trickery, it worked a treat.

10. moomoowawa

@chillminx He is on Bozita wet food which I thought seemed to be doing him good.

I'm going to wait until Monday to see if defleaing and sticking eradicates the problem, and if not, its time to start the elimination diet! Will also get some Yumega just to help with his coat.

#10 moomoowawa, Sep 13, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice