Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

unwelcome cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by elaine turner, Oct 21, 2020.

1. elaine turner

elaine turner PetForums Newbie

hi we have a visiting cat to our garden, hes been coming a while and in the past has been in through the cat flap and eaten our cats food. our cat was 21 and it spooked her and she stopped going out so we had a litter tray in the house and kept the cat flap locked. We lost her earlier this year and have rehomed two kittens from an animal sanctuary. we have had then from 8 weeks old and now at almost six months we have started letting them out. The visiting cat is becoming a nuisance again, he has been in and cleared the food, and the other day i found him laying in the litter tray. it has started putting our kitties off going out, he lays outside the back door and today was wailing with his face up to the catflap.i am at a loss what to do , i dont know where he belongs and its stopping using the catflap normally, can anybody suggest anything? thanks Elaine

2. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

I’m not sure about how to deter cats from your garden, but I’d recommend a microchip cat flap so the unwelcome cat cannot access your house.

3. elaine turner

i had wondered about this but im not really a fan of cat collars

4. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

They don’t need collars. You just need to get them microchipped by a vet, which you should anyway if they’re going outside :)

5. Tawny75

Tawny75 PetForums VIP

I totally second this, I have a microchipped cat flap which reads their ID chip in their neck and works beautifully

LittleEms likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

The kittens are really too young to be free roaming.

I recommend you cat proof your garden. This will keep strange cats out and your two safe, and still able to go in and out to the yard.

chillminx, white_shadow and buffie like this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I agree with @lorilu ,catproofing your garden is the best way to keep visiting cats out and your own 2 safe.
    Have a look at this link it has lots of ideas on ways to cat proof or build an enclosure that will allow your kittens a bit of freedom but protect them from the dangers that free roaming comes with.........

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

white_shadow likes this.
  8. elaine turner

ive been looking at the microchip catflaps i understand them now, my cats are chipped.thankyou

LittleEms likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice