Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unwanted dogs and cats - who cares?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Some 6,500 pets were left at RSPCA centres in 2006 and that figure rose by 40% this year and continues to rise. I believe that the great British public should be more aware of dogs and cats languishing in rescue centres, before they purchase their new kitten or puppy.

If the demand is not there, the breeders will soon loose interest, so WE must take some responsibility. It is not just mixed breeds that are thrown onto the streets, each breed has their own rescue organisation and do great work trying to re-home pets in their care.

With the new Animal Welfare Act now in force - which means owners are legally obliged to find out about their pet's particular needs and care for it properly - it is hoped more people will consider the full responsibility they are taking on before getting an animal.

Honeys mum, lostbear and petforum like this.
  2. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Hiya,

I don't know how people can give a dog up. The amount of british bull dogs that you see for sale in the papers saying had one litter. They have obviously seen the price that they have been selling for bought a bitch and bred her made their money and then get rid. It's so sad it makes me angry, i wouldn't even dream of giving up my dogs

3. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I think most of the responcability lays with the breeder, All my kittens go to indoor homes only, I stay in touch with all new owners, I ask a thousand questions before i agree to let them have one and most of all I make it quite clear that if at any time for any reason they can no longer care for them I will take them back.

4. Leanne1989

Leanne1989 PetForums Junior

I very rarely have puppies available and when i do find special enough homes for them i make the new owners sighn a contract stating that should they for ANY reason need/want to give up the dog that the dog i to come back to me and me only. I also sell with a spay and nueter contract. If they dont plan on selling or breeding form the puppy then its no problem and not one person has said anything. I also call them every year to find out about progress ect and almost all of them send us cards and letters at christmas. I would hate to know one of my puppies ended up in a rescue!!

lostbear likes this.
  5. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

That is SO refreshing to hear positive statements from breeders.

Sadly Christmas time sees out with the old, and in with the new! It never ceases to amaze me how people can discard old dogs and cats, to make way for a new puppy/kitten. All pets should be a life long commitment.

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

People are sometimes hard to judge, a breeder friend of mine had seemingly an ideal family come to look at the pups. In answer to the question have you had dogs before the little girl aged about eight piped up yes we've had loads, "alarm bells" they were shown the door, but I bet she was told to keep quiet next time.

lostbear likes this.
  7. Jenny Olley

I think in general first time pet owners need to be aware how time consuming and inconvenient looking after an animal can be. Raising public awareness of this would help, but goodness knows how to do it, and would people listen anyway. I know it is not always possible to map out your life for the next 15 or so years and that things change, but is moving house, changing job, having a child or getting a new carpet or kitchen (all reasons i've heard) an excuse to get rid of the dog.

8. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

conpletley agree with all the above,:)

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i totally agree with you all
    i take the dogs back for any reason i have ever only had one back and that was he had to move and to a flat but i rehomed it with another dally owner up in coventry.

and i have it in my puppy pack that i have to have the dogs back
    everyone at the mo im interviewing for puppies and they have it drummed into them

10. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

There will always be a need for rescue centres, as there ARE genuine reasons for dogs/cats being re homed. Most typical reasons are divorce and the death of an owner.

Sadly Christmas is the busiest time for rescue centres, when people discard their old pet to make way for a puppy or kitten. How can they do this? I have no idea.

11. Jenny Olley

People discard their old pet to make way for a new, because they regard the animal as a possetion rather than a living thing.

12. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Sadly that is correct in I suspect, the majority of cases, but we really should not forget the genuine cases.

13. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

For me the simple answer is that it becomes illegal to breed a puppy or kitten without breed relevant health checks and that breeders must take puppies/dogs back.
    I know this wont go down well with some but I'm not in favour of spay neuter contracts for the following reasons
    Not every dog is suitable for neutering, some dogs need those hormones to help confidence.
    Neutering should only be done when the growth plates have fused, we are currently desexing too early
    Certain breeds the coat suffers too badly after neutering.
    I have had 2 full male dogs in my life neither ever fathered puppies. Its possible to have an intact dog and be responsible.
    I would however consider sterilization.

14. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

This thread is 8 years old :/

Cheryl89 likes this.
  15. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

obviously shouldnt use the phone too look at the forum :)

Hanwombat likes this.
  16. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I was well confused when I was reading it, thought we had loads of new members :p

17. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

If anyone dares mention its time I got some glasses then I'm afraid I will have to set pickle on you to mucky beard you to death.

LinznMilly and lostbear like this.
  18. Cassyj

Cassyj PetForums Member

When I was looking at maine coon kittens 11 weeks old there where loads that has already been done I was shocked I know they don't want people randomly breeding them but I just think that's way to early.

Also when a pet comes through my door that's it, its with me for life no matter what

19. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

20. Canine K9

Canine K9 Bailey Woof

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice