Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

unusual behaviour

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by MollyMilo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Milo my 10 month old siamese has started spraying! well he does all the actions but the wall and carpet seem to be dry and appear to have no smell! :confused:

He gets on with his sister amazingly and no other cats come in. why does he feel he needs to spray? I thought he was a happy contented little cat :(

2. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

How odd, does he always do it in the same place?

3. Sussexplumber

Sussexplumber Banned

Maybe something in his environment has unsettled him and he is reasserting himself, putting his stamp on things.

4. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

My Declan does this mock spraying all the time. He's 10 years old, i've had him 8 years and he's always done this. He never actually sprays - although when i first had him i was very worried!

Declan is a very chilled out cat with nothing to stress him, so i don't think it's necessarily stress related.

Does Milo looked stressed at all?

5. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

I've noticed it the past week or so. Always in the same spot behind the tv, watching me. It's at night usually but I guess that's when I'm usually watching the tv.

He doesn't seem stressed at all. Do you think he is just trying to be top cat?
    I'm glad other Male cats do this! :)

6. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

I've always just seen it as a watered down, domesticated version of a natural behaviour.

Our pet cat's wilder cousins would have a strong instinct to mark their territory by spraying, which i presume is important to ensure their survival and procreation. Domestic cats have lost some of these behaviours because they are no longer essential for their survival.

So you may get a cat that still has enough instinct to go through the motions of spraying his territory but no longer has a strong enough drive to actually spray - thank goodness!

Declan does this all around my flat and at anything new i bring home and he's really not at all stressed.

To be honest, as Declan is the only cat i've had, i thought all cats did it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice