Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unusual behavior or agression?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Yane, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Yane

Yane PetForums Newbie

Hi all. I have an English Bull Terrier - 2 years old. He's very friendly, obeys commands, we've been attending a dog trainer since he was a pup. He loves people and is very playful, plays with other dogs. The thing that bothers me happened recently - we were on a walk and he was playing with another dog in the park ( a Samoyed, I prefer him playing with bigger breeds, because he's heavy ) when a woman came with her Jack Russel Terrier and he started running through the playing dogs' legs and barking - I called my dog and leashed him - we were leaving when the Samoyed followed us, because he wanted to play again, and the Jack Russel ran after the Samoyed and again barked and ran - than the thing happened - my dog caught the Jack Russel by the skin of the neck, I didn't expect my dog to do that, he didn't bark or growl or show any signs of attack. I immediately told him to release and pulled him back, the Jack Russel was very frightened but wasn't injured at all. The reaction of my dog after I pulled him back was whimpering and whining and wagging tail as if he was playing. I don't know why he did that, he had never fought or attacked before and that didn't look like a typical attack. Does someone have a clue why that could have happened and why the reaction after that was wagging tail?

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

He was possibly over aroused by a fleeing barking small dog.

Personally I do not allow my dogs to play with random dogs for reasons you describe; it's simply not worth it, particularly when you own breeds that aren't always looked on favourably, as no matter what happens it will always be their fault.

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

The wagging of the tail only shows a small part of the the picture ...for it's not only a sign of play (pleasure), it can can also be a display of both anxiety and arousal. It would only be a guess as to why your dog reacted ....but I too would see it as over arousal ....hyper play/barking dog ....zap.... over reaction. Just be aware that you dog can react in this way and look to be aware of his threshold.

J

PixieSpoodle and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Yane

Yane PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the answers. I was surprised, because when a dog growls or barks at my dog - I tell him to walk and he just calmly passes by the dog, without pulling the leash or anything. And of course the thing with the whimpering and whining and tail wagging was a surprise - but I guess Jamesgoeswalkies is right and that was a sign of arousal and anxiety. I'm always careful with small dogs or any unknown dogs because of the thing labradrk said - "when you own breeds that aren't always looked on favourably, as no matter what happens it will always be their fault." - that's why we left when the woman with the Jack Russel came. Maybe the other problem was that my dog was on leash leaving and the Jack wasn't. I'm glad that the Jack was unharmed. I really don't want something like this happening again - so I guess more training and being more careful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice