Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unused thyronorm medicine

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Hilary Bonney, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Hilary Bonney

Hilary Bonney PetForums Newbie

hi there, I recently lost my elderly cat who had been taking thyronorm for a couple of years. I had just had the latest bottle of 100ml thyronorm delivered but the company can't take the medicine back. It is an unopened bottle and well in date, am I allowed to give it away, I really don't want it wasted.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I think it might be illegal to give prescription meds away like this. It would be in the US. You might try a shelter or rescue, in person.

I'm sorry for your loss of your precious oldie.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Hilary Bonney -

Yes I agree with lorilu - a cat Shelter or a Rescue would be glad of it. Or someone you know personally whose cat is on the medicine.

4. Hilary Bonney

Hilary Bonney PetForums Newbie

Thanks to you both, I thought it might not be OK to give it away publicly. I've tried my local shelters who don't have a requirement at the moment so I'll pop it along to the vets for them to sort out

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately it is against forum rules to offer medication.
    When my old dog died I gave hers to the vet who said she could find a use for it.It does seem a shame to waste it.

lymorelynn likes this.
  6. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Maybe ask your local area if there are no rescue's in need.
    Most vets will just throw it away, unopened or not as they can't be sure its not been tampered with.

lorilu likes this.
  7. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I am sorry but it is against forum rules to offer unused medicines to other members

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice