Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unsure what to do!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jenny1966, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Molly is being a pain in the backside!!

She is pretty much refusing to eat wet food, tried whiskers, grau, bozita and smilla ..... put food down for her twice a day, she sniffs it, maybe takes a mouthful and then thats it!!! Put her some bozita dry food down and she will eat it to her hearts content!!!

My question is .... do I stop putting the dry food down and only give her the option of eating the wet or going without, or do I just keep doing what I'm doing and hope she will eat it in her own time?

Or am I just worrying about nothing :lol:

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well, if you want her to eat (more) wet food then what you are doing currently isn't working ;)

So, if you want her to eat more or only wet food, then you could try it one of at least two ways:

1) take up and hide every single bit of dry food you have in the house and only offer her the brand of wet food that she has shown the most interest in so far. Put it down. If she doesn't eat it or doesn't eat it all, then take it up after 5 min and put it down again after 30 or so min. Basically, just offer her the same brand of food (though of course, if she doesn't eat what is on her plate there is only so often that you can offer that particular plate to her before the meat goes old ...). As long as she eats a little bit, persevere and show her who is boss!

2) take some of her fab kibble, take a rolling pin to it and crush it into a small bits. Then use that to coat the wet food you would like her to eat (again, I would stick with one brand for the moment). Over time, you less and less of the kibble coating until she eats just the wet food.

Once she is happily eating the food you want her to eat, then slowly experiment with different brands.

Hope that helps

3. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Thank you :)

Would you always recommend that they have wet food, or if all else fails, would just feeding her dry food be enough?

Will try what you have suggested, dont think I'm going to be very popular :) but hey like you say 'show her who's boss' :eek::

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Personally, yes I would always recommend that cats have just or mostly wet food (keep the dry as a small afternoon treat). That is because cats are by nature very bad drinkers and they take in the moisture they need from the food that they eat. Although your cat might drink more when fed dry food, studies have shown that they don't actually take in as much water as wet-fed cats would take in from their diet, which results in more concentrated urine, which in turn can lead to bladder problems (crystals and cystitis for example).

Then there is also the issue that a lot of the dry food contains a huge amount of carbs (e.g. from grains, etc) compared to wet food. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means that they take their nutrients from meat, not from the abundance of grains and veg that is found in most dry food.

If you do feel you want to feed her (some) dry food, then try to change to one like orijen, which is a grain-free food, with a low(ish) carb content, loads of meat, a good mineral content and the like.

Best of luck!

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Persevere :D From one who has the most stubborn dry food junkie on the planet.Meeko my Ragdoll has been a pain in the same way as your little angel :rolleyes: I used thrive treats sprinkled on his wet food(still do occas.)also brewers yeast helped Holland and Barrett - Brewers Yeast Powder .He now eats a better diet ,not perfect but we are going in the right direction

6. Myanimalmadhouse

Myanimalmadhouse PetForums VIP

You could try mixing some wet food in with the dry x

7. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

An update!

Molly has now decided what wet food she likes - Purina Gourmet Perle! Not ideal, but after trying all the good quality food that's always recommended, and her turning her nose up at it all , it's a relief to see her finally eat a whole bowl of food :) 3 days now and she's eaten it all every meal time! I am also given her Orijen dried food, which is my way of making sure she gets at least something with a high meat content in it :)

8. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Nellie is also a pain in the bum when it comes to wet food i try sooo hard to get her to eat it but she refuses and meows the entire night instead until i give her dry! To make it worse she possibly has ibd so likes to vomit back up anything that doesn't agree with her. Now i have to say, when she is eating more dry she is sick less but i feel soooo guilty about it :( bloomin cats. She does like the smilla fish pot variety though ( well a small amount anyway :rolleyes: )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice