Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unsure on How to Begin Working With Animals

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by heiidi, Oct 23, 2019.

1. heiidi

heiidi PetForums Newbie

I've always dreamed of working with animals, ever since I was little (from around 4 years old). I knew that this must be a calling, and I really don't want to go into a job where I am not helping animals in some way. Now, I am sixteen and about to take my GCSE's this coming summer.
    However, even at this point, I have nothing other than the obligated primary & secondary education. And since I have not yet got my GCSE's, and so therefore unqualified for pretty much anything, I don't know how I can present myself as knowledgeable, at least with animals.
    I really want something to put on a CV. Knowing that regardless of anything, I am definitely working with animals, I just wanted to know what I can do right now. Fostering would be so ideal, but my parents are against having any more animals in the house (2 dogs as of the moment).

Does anyone know a way that a sixteen year old can get some kind of animal experience?

There's also no nearby charity shops I can apply for, and the nearest pet store is so inhumane it would make me sick to work there.​

2. Smolmaus

Smolmaus PetForums Member

My local shelters are always happy for volunteers. Even if you start off holding a bucket on a Saturday morning to fundraise that's still something and you'll get to know people who can help you look for more CV-ready experience.

I don't know what your schedule is like but your local college might have animal management courses you could apply for, or try the Open University for online ones. They might be beyond a GCSE level student but could be something to plan for the future. You really don't need animal experience at 16, not for any career. You can write on your CV that you have an interest in animal husbandry and do research on your own time. Say fostering is a long-term goal. Say why. That is enough at this stage.

Honestly if I were you I would just be focusing on getting the best GCSE's I could. Particularly Maths, Chemistry, Biology. That would set you up for veterinary or vet nursing very nicely or any number of other jobs.

3. Taeger2002

Taeger2002 PetForums Newbie

I started off doing a Btec in Animal care at usk college. There are also lots of online courses that you can go on to help build your CV. Im in South Wales Uk, so if your anywhere near here i can suggest some places that may be helpfull.

4. Melania Taylor

If you have thought about it and are willing to put in the hard yards to achieve it, you are halfway there. It's so good to see our young 'uns taking interest in animal care from such a young age. I wish I could give you some tips on it but I am no professional. To be honest, I was just happy to read your query, couldn't resist commenting on it. You could maybe take a leaf out of their books bit.ly/3iwtumi and learn how and where they started from. (This is the best help I could be :p)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice