Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unsure about something and need advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello,

We are getting two kittens Chloe and Casper. Initially the lady said they'd be available at the end of August when they were 8 weeks old. We have paid a deposit of £20 and we still have £65 left to pay.

Now the lady has just phoned me to say the kittens are available this weekend. They will be 6 weeks old and have been weaned and litter trained (with the odd accident). I can pick them up on Saturday. She has spoken to the vet and the vet said they are ready to go.

She has also said that if I do turn out to be allergic to the kittens she'll take them back and give me a full refund. She's not worried about not selling them because a lot of people have already shown an interest in Casper when they came to see the rest of the litters.

My problem is that I am not sure if I should go to get them so soon. But, she has been so kind about saying that if I'm allergic I'll get a refund etc, I don't want to upset her.

What would you do?

Kori

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Just because they are weaned doesnt meant they are ready to go & no vet will say they are, they still have things to learn from mummy, advice? leave them until you said you would, say you have booked time off of work then or something :)

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

6 weeks is way too young - my 11 week olds are still feeding from mum regularily! 8/9 weeks will be much better - if you can get her to wait until then pelase do - it will really help the kittens.

4. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

It is a bit soon but they are probably just fine to take now, the thing is are you ready to take them now - Kittyproofing your home for them! I doubt that this lady will be offended if you told her you wanted to get your home ready for them and need a couple of weeks more.
    I took my first kitten in at 5 1/2 weeks.. we got him from a shelter. His mother died and he was rescued from an attic along with his 2 siblings. They were raised by the other cats in the shelter, and I've never had a single problem with his behaviour.
    It might be luck but I don't think that you need to worry too much! You're going to have so much fun raising them!! Good luck!

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

What a situation for you! 6 weeks is too young. They may be weaned and litter trained but still need guidence from mum and their siblings. Kittens at 6 weeks are still learning how to play without too much claws and teeth, this is the job that mum and siblings teach them. This and other ''worldly'' rules.
    My kittens were weaned and litter trained at 5 weeks, this isn't a reason to let them go so soon!

I really feel for you, maybe phone her and say you would prefer to hang on. Even for 2 weeks........

Good luck
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice