Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Unstable in the car

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, May 13, 2019.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hi all, I need some out-of-the-box thinking here! I’ve noticed over the past wee while that McKenzie seems to feel really unstable in the car (maybe an age thing?). She sits on the backseat with a harness but she tends to stand up awkwardly and lean against Elliot (see the bad photo below). On occasions when she’s not in her harness (very short trips down the road) she’s the same.

Money is really tight right now so I’m looking for a creative solution! I only have a little hatchback so a crate isn’t an option. I was thinking of padding up around her or something? But it needs to be practical as we are in the car every day.

Ideas?

202E96DF-F661-4FFB-9178-6F0686588AC1.jpeg

2. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

could you put her bed in on the seat for her to sit / lay in or get another cheap one just for the car
    or a soft Pillow

McKenzie likes this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Balancing on a soft surface is quite hard and requires good muscle tone (I say this from the point of view of trying to do my pilates balances on one leg whilst standing on the squashy mat versus standing on the hard floor.

Given that I wonder whether placing a bed with a non squashy floor but raised padded sides would help. Perhaps one of those raised plastic beds with a soft but not too thick blanket on the bottom might give her more stability.

Aternatively perhaps you can put some stiff card on the seat but under a blanket to give a stiffer surface. Cardboard can be slippy so you may need to use something with more grip.

Burrowzig, McKenzie and Torin. like this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, I had been thinking along those lines but I think she needs a bit more support.

Oh that actually makes sense regarding why it’s more of a problem now than it used to be as her muscle tone will be naturally worse as she ages I guess.

Do you mean one of these beds?

0B857060-E526-497E-B01A-4D58ADFF4EDD.jpeg

kittih likes this.
  5. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

McKenzie likes this.
  6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Yes thats the sort of thing I had in mind.

Would it be beneficial do you think to do some core work on her too. I think Hanwombat used those balance cushion to improve Io's and Bigbys core muscle tone in a post ages ago but I guess doing any exercises on an unstable surface like a cushion would work (assuming there are no health reasons not to).

McKenzie likes this.
  7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, I did think of something similar but will need to do some searching to see if I can get something cheap.

We already do balance cushion work (she loves it) and she is fine with ‘sit pretty’ type activities but her joints are getting a bit dodgy so maybe that contributes?

kittih and Nettles like this.
  8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

McKenzie likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I put Jack’s bed with sides on the backseat with thick bedding for him to snuggle down into.

He usually settles well and lays down for the journey.

McKenzie likes this.
  10. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

My sister bought a booster seat for Missy like the one @Nettles linked to. But to be honest Miss is far more comfortable with her bed on the back seat and her able to cosy up into it etc. The pic shows her testing it out. She's not as happy about it when in the car however.

image.jpg

McKenzie and Nettles like this.
  11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I know you’re pretty handy (collars,coats,snufflemat).
    What about making a sausage (draft excluder type thing) and joining the ends? You could make it as tall as you want(poss stitch a couple together or a single taller one)and as firm as you feel Kenzie needs?

12. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Jaxon stands like this in the car...
    In my car he goes in the boot... He wedges his bum in the side alcove and crouches his front down...
    I’ve tried beds and duvets to encourage him to lay down or sit down but doesn’t make the slightest bit of difference...
    I’ve decided it’s just the way he is...

McKenzie likes this.
  13. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I put a towel on the car seat as it provides extra grip, tuck the towel into the gap between the seat and the seat back to hold it. I also put the actual people seatbelt through Pickles harness which holds her much more firmly in position so that she doesn't slide around.

I would also look at the simple things such as trimming nails and paw hair plus, a good ear check giving her ears a good trim and clean.

I have been looking at dog booster seats but haven't yet found one that will fit a 10kg dog and will remain in place if there was an accident.

McKenzie likes this.
  14. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Emma travels in a Vari kennel on the back seat, the type used for animals when traveling by air. You can remove the top half of it so it's a square/oblong bed with high sides & she had a pillow in there to lay on. They are not cheap but if you had a Local Dog Charity shop you could ask if they have one for sale. I got one for my sister from our local RSPCA charity shop for her border terrier for £5 almost new - worth checking.
    Amazon have a 19 inch Petmate Vari Kennel for £20.87 ( worth looking on there to see what I'm talking about)

McKenzie likes this.
  15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thank you so much everyone! I’m going to look around for a cheap car seat. The bed idea sounds good but her current bed is quite large so I’d have to buy a new one.

This is a really good idea and I might have a play around with some scraps to see if it will work :)

This has the potential to work well if I could find a cheap one, and provided there was still enough room on the back seat for Elliot! (Although McKenzie says he can just stay home :D).

Mum2Heidi and DaisyBluebell like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice