Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unsettling week

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Charity, May 10, 2017.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Things are a bit lively and stressful at the moment as our new neighbours are having a new roof put on. B & T are let out every morning for literally a few minutes at about 6 a.m. before breakfast and I just have to pray Bunty won't be in the mood to do one of her disappearing acts as she would never come back while men were working. After that. they are kept indoors until the workmen finish which isn't proving very popular so I'm in bad books. :mad:

Monday was very noisy with banging and drilling while they were erecting scaffolding, partly in our driveway and right outside our kitchen and bathroom. After a lot of complaining about being stuck indoors, especially from Toppy who obviously can't do his cat watch, they settled down in their tower. Toppy takes it all in his stride but Bunty was a bit on edge and when the noise got too close, she took herself off to the bedroom which is as far away as she could get. ..

Yesterday, was a very edgy day, she didn't like the noise of the men removing the tiles at all and just kept restlessly walking from one room to another and not really settling. Toppy drove me mad yelling to be let out but he eventually gave up and went to bed. Thankfully, the men knocked off just after 3 o'clock (that's what they call a day's work nowadays :rolleyes:) so B & T could then go out for a couple of hours before teatime....as can the neighbour's cats of course. I feel really sorry for them being in their house while all this is going on so right in the thick of the action. :(

Today will no doubt be worse because they will be working on our side right about six feet away. Bunty's been happily having her breakfast and playing with her mice but this will all change at 8.00 when the workmen arrive. I do hope they will be finished by Friday. :Sorry

Babyshoes likes this.
  2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Any chance of B & T staying in a cattery for a few days whilst the work is going on ? I know that would also be stressful for them but probably less so than the noise !
    My old boy was always a 'nervous' cat so if I was planning any major works in the house I used to book him into the local cattery - mind you he did actually like going there and always settled immediately (in fact one time when I went to collect he made it clear he wasn't bothered about coming home !!!)

Charity and claire8234 like this.
  3. Charity

No chance! Last time they went into a cattery for four days while we went away, they didn't eat the whole time they were there which was a nightmare.

4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Sorry to read B&T are having a stressful time at the moment. Would it be possible to give them a room away from all the noise and upset for them. I hope the roof gets sorted quickly.

Viv xx

Charity likes this.
  5. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Pity they don't make ear plugs for cats!

Hope the work is done soon. :(

Charity likes this.
  6. Charity

Toppy isn't at all bothered, he just more or less ignores anything. Funnily enough, Bunty isn't too bad at the moment, she's wandering about but not appearing too stressed. I've put her bed in our bedroom which is farthest away from the noise so she will go there if its too much. Perhaps as its day three, they are getting used to it. :)

vivien likes this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Oh poor Toppy and Bunty its horrible for them when there is noisey work going on,if only we could speak their language to reassure them.
    Meeko just hates any noise/changes going on around him and my nextdoor neighbour ,although a good neighbour is always "improving/altering stuff.
    Problem is he does it in bits and pieces at a time,so that a job that should only take a couple of days to complete takes him weeks :mad:
    Hope it all settles down soon.

Charity likes this.
  8. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Gosh, I do feel your pain. Sounds like a stressful time for your two.

Darwin is pretty chilled out with most things, but when faced with any disruption or when under house arrest Einstein gets VERY stressed and spends a lot of time pacing, shouting, overgrooming and mercilessly beating up his sister.

Hopefully by Friday it will all be over. Maybe some extra treats in the meantime, medicinally of course!

Charity likes this.
  9. Charity

I've been out this morning so they've been home with OH. They've both come out for their lunch which is good, now Bunty's taken herself off to the bedroom and is trying to sleep in the bed on my dressing table. I have noticed she is nibbling her legs again, they are looking a bit bald which is a nuisance. :( Toppy's gone to his tower bed in the living room. I don't really bother about the noise etc. myself, I spend my time worrying about the how the cats are being upset. :rolleyes:

10. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Bless them. When I had major work done the pair of them kept well away up the barn but once the coast was clear they had a good nosey and sniff. Blue walked across the concrete floor and sat bang in the middle. Her paw and bum print are forever!! X

Charity likes this.
  11. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Oh poor B&T! I hope the work gets done soon for you and you and the kitties can have your house back!

Charity likes this.
  12. Charity

Day Three and Bunty is really being a stroppy madam today.:Rage Unfortunately, she didn't get to go out at all yesterday because when my OH went out in the garden, there was a baby pigeon just sitting in the garden who didn't even attempt to fly off when you got near him. OH picked him up and, as we have high fences, threw him upwards so he then opened his wings and managed to fly over the fence and into the garden at the bottom of ours. As that is Bunty's normal haunt, I didn't want her to go out, only to then catch a dopey young pigeon sitting the other side so I kept her in.

This morning, she was desperate to go out. She meowed for about two hours and when I let her out of the window into the pen, OH said she was climbing up the sides. Every day is different but today is the worst. We had to go out and the men were working so there was no way she could go out. When we got home, she was sat on my bed looking decidedly sulky :Shifty. She wouldn't come out for her lunch so I took it in and put it on the bed but she wouldn't eat it by herself, only if I fed it to her. (She really is making me pay for being so mean :mad:). Hopefully, if they go just after 3.00 as usual, she can then have her freedom. :rolleyes:

To cap it all, while we were out and I was driving, a bumble bee came in through the window of the car so OH was frantically waving his arms about (he hates bees and wasps up close) so I had to stop the car and it thankfully flew out. Then five minutes later, two roe deer ran out right in front of the car, thankfully, I was able to stop, and in their panic they ran back into someone's garden where they had come from. Honestly, went out to relax and get away from things for a while. :Banghead

Yesterday - quite relaxed
    IMG_3690.JPG

Today - mean and moody
    IMG_3695.JPG

13. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

:NailbitingOh no! Poor Bunty! Fancy Toppy being so chilled. Isn't it funny how they react differently.

If we have had work men round;
    Libby really dislikes the disruption and voices her thoughts very very louldly, at the same time that this racket goes on ( from Libby not the workmen) she has her nose pressed against the window watching :rolleyes:
    Loulou finds it all very interesting and likes to be involved :rolleyes: getting into the tool bags or VANS :Arghh
    Lottie is frightened and hides, so she will not come out until the aliens have gone :rolleyes:

We are starting our extension soon and the cats are my biggest worry so I do sympathise with you!

P.S had to laugh at your drive out

Charity likes this.
  14. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Gosh what a week.

If we have builders around I do try to put the HBs in a room furthest from the noise and then muffle it with the radio or Tv or something. They are so nosy though that the minute they have gone they want to be out and exploring what they've done and what's changed!

bluecordelia and Charity like this.
  15. Charity

Bunty went out about 4.00 for a couple of hours so she's a different cat tonight and now a happy bunny as you can see. Makes you laugh how they react to things and have different moods, not much different to humans.

IMG_3745.JPG

16. popcornsmum

Oh bless Bunty!!! Oh gosh your drive sounded eventful!!! I see deers up here and I'm forever telling the oH to slow down just incase!! I'm such a backseat driver lol!

Charity likes this.
  17. Charity

Well, here we are, middle of week two and its all still going on :(. This morning I didn't wake up until 7.30 so I rushed out of bed, opened the back door and practically shoved the cats out of it and told them to go and do their business quick as they had about 20 minutes. Of course, they had no idea what I was on about. It was pouring with rain so they weren't exactly keen to follow instructions. They sat on the doorstep for a few minutes then Bunty did oblige and came back about five minutes later. Toppy, as usual a little more slow witted, strolled out doing his usual look around with no sense of urgency :rolleyes:. Of course, its now nearly 9.00 and the men haven't turned up, probably not coming as its raining! Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, if they don't we get a day of peace but it means an extra day working. :Sorry Bunty was on hot bricks again yesterday, she definitely doesn't like the sound of the man banging the tiles into place. She would go and sit somewhere but wasn't relaxed or went to sleep as usual and, as soon as one of us went into the room, she would up and disappear somewhere else, she just couldn't settle. Unfortunately, they will now be doing the side right next to our kitchen and bathroom so it will be even louder. :Banghead I really hope its all finished this week as don't think any of us can stand another week. Its not the actual noise from the work which is a bother for me, its the tension of the cats being unsettled.

18. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I feel for you! My cat friendly neighbour at the bottom of my garden is moving out in a month or so , so I have decided to bite the bullet and get that fence replaced.
    It is very old and myself and neighbour have patched it up but I cannot risk new tenants arranging new fence without me knowing as of course I have it 'cat proofed'
    It's going to be a nightmare day or two as I have to keep my gang locked inside, maybe even in one room, while the barriers are down
    Luckily the workman is a friend so will put up with all my rules and panics about open doors etc but it's still going to be stressful for us all

#18 Paddypaws, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  19. Charity

We had the same worry when our new neighbours moved in as our catproofing is attached to their fence and gutter but, thankfully, they did say they don't mind. When we catproofed, we had to put up a new fence on the side which isn't our fence. Its costly but easier than trying to negotiate with neighbours and at least you're in control of it then.

Paddypaws likes this.
  20. popcornsmum

Oh bless , that sounds so stressful for you all but once it's all done it'll be worth it and the kitties will be back to normal!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice