Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unsettled last 2 nights

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karenmc, Feb 10, 2021.

1. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Hi Everyone, Hope you a d your lovely dogs are all well. Luna is usually brilliant at nights. At around 10:15 onwards she starts to nod off on the sofa or floor then happily takes herself into her crate (after being offered chance to go outside), has 2 biscuits, settles and sleeps until we wake her up. She loves her crate and it is a good size and very cosy with folded cot bed size duvet and soft fleece blankets. We lay another blanket over the top to make it more cosy but she can still see out.
    Last night at 1:30am she started barking. I went down and she came out wagging her tail and proceeded to try to get me to play with her tennis ball! I let her out for a wee. My husband came down to check on her and she went over to him wanting to play and be fussed. We calmly encouraged her back in the crate, gave her a biscuit and went back up but shortly after she started barking again.
    My husband sat downstairs with her as I had work in the morning and we didn't want to disturb the neighbours with her barking. About half an hour later he managed to get go bed. We thought the slight noise of the boiler might have unsettled her as we left the heating on low, though I'm sure we've done this before.
    Tonight we put her to bed as usual and she started the barking again. The heating isn't on, she didn't need the toilet (I offered again) and again when I resettled her she has started again! Poor hubbie has just gone down again now.
    We can't understand why she is being unsettled. Not sure if she is wanting a bit of company and a snooze on the sofa?! We have continued with her crate as she loves it usually and on the odd night she has been out and I have slept downstairs with her, she wanders a bit and isn't as settled. Any ideas why she is doing this? (No signs of illness/pain etc). Have a feeling it is cheeky ' I fancy a bit of company' tactics but don't want to leave her barking. Thank you.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

How old is she now?

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sounds silly but have you got snow? Is it the light from the snow that is making her feel like out of sorts
    I mean you can always tell that it's snowed over night as you wake up, if in daylight and you have that white glow rather than light.

Other than that I can't think what would make her think it's playtime in the dark

karenmc, Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

She's 2 now.

5. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

We have had a light covering and she has been acting a bit different with it. We are having a cold spell and have had strong winds. Not at night but they have made her a bit different on walks e.g she doesn't like gusts behind her.

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Hi karen - did you notice on random dog chat i'd had a similar problem with Tilly recently?

It started for an identifiable reason in that she was desperate to get out for a poo one night. Twice in one night. But then it started to be a habit so i took some action after about 3 nights.

Normally, she goes to her night crate at 7pm ish and sleeps right through the night.

So we decided to try to move her bedtime a bit later and also to take her out last thing at night, before we go to bed about midnight.

Moving her bedtime later has proved too tricky - she is pretty desperate to get into that night crate by 7! Like she is going to turn into a pumpkin or something.

I took her out on a lead into the garden at midnight, made sure she had a wee and that solved if for a couple of nights.

She did disturb again one night, and i called for her to settle (her crate is directly below our bedroom) and that was that,

About a week ago, i stopped taking her out at midnight but she has started to disturb when i load the dishwasher about 10 pm. Just to have a stroll round the kitchen!

Tonight i didnt let her out and she went quiet straight away.

So - although i have no idea why Luna has started up, you might well need to adopt some tough tactics like i have for Tilly.

Have you tried leaving her in the crate and calling "settle"?

Sounds a bit obvious - im sure you have. But just in case you didnt try it . . .!

karenmc and lullabydream like this.
  7. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

I hadn't seen your posts @tabelmabel. I'll have a look. I'm wondering if it could be the weather change that's got her a bit giddy maybe. She does love having a cuddle with us too but as I said funny as at night she is such a creature of routine.

lullabydream likes this.
  8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I dont think there is much more info there than i have given above.

Main points are that, like you with Luna, i ruled out her needing the toilet or a drink - but after that i just took the tough approach of telling her to pipe down. And this seems to have worked.

I hope you can get her re settled again soon

lullabydream and karenmc like this.
  9. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

We have had this once before but can't remember what it was then. Luna has the wonderful typical Golden Retriever traits of being cheeky but sensitive too. That's why we go and check her. The little stubborn bit of her would ignore a shout then when you go down she would be ecstatic tugging her blanket to you in a 'thank goodness you're here' way!! She's a rascal, good job she's so cute!! Fingers crossed it's just a little disturbance.x

LinznMilly, margy, tabelmabel and 2 others like this.
  10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Bless her. We have to leave our bedroom door open slightly now because Eevee has become a traitor and goes and sleeps in my sons room. My son says oh it's because of the radiator. Her bed is next to the radiator.
    OH forgets most nights to leave the door though. I swear as soon as my OH snores which feels like seconds Eevee is prodding me to open the door.
    I have no idea why she starts in our room every night but she does!
    I swear @karenmc if these dogs were not so adorable we wouldn't do half the things we do for them

11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Is having her crate or a bed in your room feasible?

O2.0, karenmc and Happy Paws2 like this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Is it possible she is cold the temperatures really have dropped the last few nights. We have a neighbourhood fix I’m pretty sure it disturbs Loki sometimes. I can never hear anything but he certainly does.

karenmc and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

I don't want to move her crate as if she can see us she would want to be out to play. She only comes upstairs when with us for a little bit so she would think it was 'party time' and also want to go in and out of the children's rooms.

tabelmabel likes this.
  14. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

She does have plenty of bedding and is a big golden furball but I did wonder about this. My husband has slept downstairs with her tonight and since he went down I didn't hear a peep. I think something has unsettled her and she is just wanting us there. I am off next week so hopefully we can sort it out then. When you sleep on the sofa she forgets that she's a big lump when she climbs on your legs!!

15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If you sleep downstairs with her is she on the sofa with you or in the crate?

16. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Tilly slept right through after i told her to settle when i was loading the dishwasher. I didnt open the room door to see her, just called.

karenmc likes this.
  17. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'd still try and have upstairs, just be firm with her let her know it's bedtime and your not going to play she'll soon get the message.

LinznMilly and karenmc like this.
  18. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

It is an interesting thread to me this - i was just thinking back to how mean i was with my own human babies compared to the very gentle suggestions here for Luna!

They were all super sleepers from an early age but it was a hard line approach. I was a great mum by day but once it went past 7pm, that was me off duty til morning!

Tilly is in very much the same pattern - not by design. She just kind of fell into it. So she gets lots of busy things to do by day but of a night time, i am expecting her to settle right through. I think i did have wee blips with the kids for teething and now this wee blip with tilly but, all things considered, i havent actually had many disturbed nights at all over the years.

(Apart from with OH snoring which we have no solution for!!)

karenmc likes this.
  19. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Luna has always been fantastic too that's what has been surprising this week. We always joke that you can set your click by her as by 10:30 she lets you know she is ready for bed. If you are much longer she even taps the crate door with her paw.
    My husband wonders if with everyone being home recently e.g children not in school, he is always with her and I was teaching from home for10 days when my class bubble closed, she has enjoyed us all being there and wants to be close.
    We said we might try leaving the crate door open next week (so it is still an option for her and get another day bed (like the one she has) for upstairs and see if she wants to try sleeping where she would like. I have half term so time to try out and return or change a bit if not working.x

tabelmabel likes this.
  20. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

Our children used to sleep in their own bedrooms but until they were about 3 they would usually end up with us by morning @tabelmabel!! I remember my husband and I with our little girl snuggled next to me and our son liked to sleep on top of our covers the other way round with his own cover!! It makes me smile when I think back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice