Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unsettled dog after moving house

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sophiex, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

We've moved house and my 4 year old toy poodle is very unsettled at night. He's in the same crate with same blankets and cushion. As in the last house, he's in the kitchen and we sleep upstairs. At night, he is barking and crying for ages. I keep going down, stroking and soothing him but last night, he disturbed a neighbour's dog and they barked at each other for 20 mins at midnight! I went upstairs for a nap this morning (just me and him in the house) and he started the crying and barking again. I let him 'bark it out' but felt very mean and worried that he was bothering the neighbours! Before this, he's always been very good at night, going to bed without any fuss.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

How long ago did you move? When we moved last year my dog was unsettled in various ways for a week or two - settled at night but up at about 0430 every day and quite reactive to various things too. Is there a lot of light maybe near the crate or can your dog hear the neighbours where he couldn't before, or a kitchen appliance that makes a different noise? You could try an Adaptil plug in near your dog's crate too perhaps.

3. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I have found the pheromone plug in really helpful in stressful situations.

4. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Thanks for the suggestions, will take them on board. Only been here a few days. We're end terrace and found out our neighbours are in their 80s and both partially deaf, so they said they didn't hear a thing!

5. househens

househens Guest

Your bub is worried cos he doesn't know a normal sounding night, yet. Can you let him share with you, for a few days, and see you sleep through happily, then slowly return him to the spot you want him in permanently?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice