Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unplanned pregnancy advice plz

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Bradleysmummy, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Bradleysmummy

Bradleysmummy PetForums Junior

I have just found out my cockapoo is pregnant 36 days today , it wasnt planned , she mated with my other cockapoo (whos since been castrated) , i had her scanned hoping she wasnt but she is , they could only see one puppy on the scan and i was told to not over feed her as with one if the puppy gets to big it would mean a c section ! Just needing a little advice as to how accurate these scans are ? It wasnt done at my vets but i will be taking her next wk to have a check up etc ! Im now so concerned about her , she is my absolute world and i cant bare the thought of anything happening to her , just to add I’m not a breeder or anything like that and the puppy will stay in the family so not adding to the issue of so many unwanted dogs !! Ive been googling about single puppys and it seems rare and concerning.
    Any advice would be lovely
    Thanks

Tanya + mini likes this.
  2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Did the original vet not talk to you about the mismate injection or spaying her since this was unplanned?

How old is your bitch?

Calvine, O2.0, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  3. Bradleysmummy

Thats kind of beside the point she is pregant so not alot i can do about that now! She is nearly 3 and i recently took on a second cockapoo as he was being rehomed and she came into season before i got him neutered, happened once we then separated them for the rest of her season and he has been castrated now!
    Thank you

4. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

The point is that she can still be spayed and the pregnancy ended. The mis-mate injection can be given up to 45 days of pregnancy.
    https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/10-faqs-about-the-mismate-injection.html
    Has she actually seen a vet or just a scanner ?

O2.0 likes this.
  5. Bradleysmummy

she is seeing the vet again this wk , just a scanner to determine pregnancy but i discussed the injection with the vet last wk and it would of been to late to be 100% effective! I just wanted advice on single pregnancy if this is the case as i have read its tricky

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Singletons are rare I think - I have one experience of someone whose Cocker had a singleton. Scans can sometimes be unreliable in regard to numbers - pups can be hidden etc I think an Xray is more reliable.

Re a singleton - I think keeping mum healthy and of natural weight is important so that the pup doesn't grow too large. Know your dates exactly and count the days. Then have a chat with your Vet in regard to bring her on if she doesn't start whelping by day 62. All to ensure pup can be delivered naturally. Of course your vet will also be standing by to perform a cesarian if necessary. Make sure you have someone with you with some birthing experience if you can.

You will also have to spend some time with your singleton pup to help them grow up as without littermates they can lack that early training in animal bonding and social skills.

J

Calvine likes this.
  7. Bradleysmummy

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you read the link I left ?If it's something you would consider you could find another vet who would give it.
    As for singleton pregnancy my girl's last litter, before I got her, was a singleton. She was a big pup, got stuck and needed C-Section. The pup , now 4 yrs old, is fine . Reena, my girl, had quite a long recovery as she had an infection at delivery, she's fine now though.

9. David C

David C PetForums Senior

With one puppy there could be a very good chance that the pup will be quite a big one so be prepared for a c section as its more likely. A c Section out of hours could cost you around £1800 and you could end up with a dead pup or even a dead bitch. Im not saying this to frighten you but to warn you of what can happen. Years ago when i bred and showed Yorkies i lost a bitch and pups during a c section. Maybe ask your vet when you take her for a check up to scan her again and see if he can see anymore pups in there. If there is only the one and you decide to let the bitch carry on with the pregnancy then if you do end up with a live pup make sure you're heating is on 24/7 set at around 23c because a single pup has no other pups to help keep it warm and will soon get a chill if your bitch wants some time away from it

10. Bradleysmummy

Thank you :) , i am going to ask about an xray on friday when i take her in , yes i read about a c section and that its best to plan ahead for it rather than an emergency! Hopefully the vet will be able to keep an on on the size and we can plan if need be , im a big worrier and the thought if anything happening to her scares me , my mother in law has a little experience so i shall have her here if she has them at home for sure

thanks

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  11. Bradleysmummy

thanks for ur reply , yes id really perfer to arrange a section if need be rather than an emergency! Im really hoping to he sure theres not more in there ! Am i right in thinking scans are pretty unreliable ? I shall attach her scan photo ty

Attached Files:

12. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Looks like only one pup. It all depends how good the scanner is but at this stage now the vet will easily find them if there are more. They could also xray her from 7 weeks to be able to count spines etc.

13. Bradleysmummy

Shes at the vets friday and she’ll be 38days then i believe so will they be able to feel if only one?

14. David C

David C PetForums Senior

If the vet is going to palate to see if her can count them make sure your bitch hasn't had anything to eat and that sges had a poop before hand. A scan will be more reliable tbh and less harmful than squeezing pups whilst trying to count.

15. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I'm not an expert by any stretch if the imagination but I'd agree with @David C in regards to the higher risks involved. I've just recently heard about a large breed bitch who died after a C-section and now her litter is being raised by another bitch who has recently whelped.

I do find it irresponsible to be honest to take on an entire dog and knowing you have an entire bitch and to then leave them together whilst she is in heat.

LinznMilly, lorilu and O2.0 like this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi Bradleysmummy, sorry you're in this situation, sounds very concerning for your bitch.
    You're getting some replies you don't like, but you have to understand, on the forum we see this sort of post/situation fairly frequently. I've never understood how, if you know your bitch mated, and you didn't mean for her to be mated, why you don't immediately go to the vet and say what do I do? At that point the vet hopefully offers the option of either the mismate injection or a spay. You can spay in-heat bitches, it's done all the time. If your own vet isn't comfortable doing it, there are many who are, who do it for rescues regularly. It's not ideal, but it's certainly better than a c-section, emergency or planned, and then trying to raise a litter after major surgery.
    If you knew to take your bitch to be scanned, you knew that she had been mated. Why didn't you call the vet right after the mating happened?

Accidental mating can happen. Accidental pregnancies don't.

I really hope all goes well for your bitch. Hopefully it's not too late for a mismate injection, or even a spay for that matter. If you do continue with the pregnancy, I hope it all goes well. Truly.

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

From the link @SusieRainbow shared:
    "When it is used later in pregnancy (up to day 45) it is around 95% effective."

Calvine likes this.
  18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

For the home delivery of a large singleton, with a first-time mum you want someone with more than a little experience.

LinznMilly and lorilu like this.
  19. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

The scan could easily be wrong. There could be a pup hidden. The vet cannot palpate at that stage to even tell if the bitch is pregnant let alone how many pups there are.

I had a sheltie that had a single pup. She had no problem whelping but she gave it so much attention and carried it around a lot the first few days. She had had other litters and was a very good mother usually. Anyway she sadly punctured it with a tooth and it got gangrene and died. The first I knew was a horrible smell, the pup was lively and feeding.

Take your vets advice on what to do, it is not too late for the mismate injection. Personally I have never known a vet that would spay a pregnant bitch and I would be very uncomfortable doing it.

20. Bradleysmummy

Thank you , i wouldnt do that anyway and my vet hasnt suggested it ! Each to there own but thats bot something i would do at this point! Obviously if the vet says theres an issue i will go with that! Thanks for your helpful comment :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice