Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unlucky Again!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by tillyfloss11, May 23, 2010.

1. tillyfloss11

tillyfloss11 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

I post a thread a while back about us having to get our Maine Coon breeding queen spayed..and we got a lovely big brown tabby in place of her, guess what..... same thing has happened again!

She has the same reproductive hormone imbalance that our other girl has - even though its pretty uncommon, we have had two separate girls have this now! They are both un related and from different breeders so its nothing within the litter.

We are unsure if the woman we got her from knew about it as she was 9 months old when we got her, but we cant prove it either way.

She is booked in to be spayed on Tuesday and then we will have to find her a forever home. She is a lovely girl and if anyone is interested, just pm me.

A cheesed off Tilly!

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

why will you have to rehome her?

3. tillyfloss11

Because she was bought as a breeding queen to replace the last one that we had, who also developed this problem. We have already kept two girls that were unable to be queens for one reason or another, plus we have 2 neutered tom rescue cats. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to, I dont have the space to keep every single cat, so whilst she is still young I will find her a lovely home.

4. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

Oh what a shame this has happened to you twice thats so unfortunate. Hope that you find a good home for her and third time lucky with another queen!:)

5. tillyfloss11

I know, I really wish I could keep her but its not possible!

I guess it just shows that breeding is not an easy thing to get into..and is a costly thing to love and do!!

Tilly

6. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Just thinking out of the box, could it be the water? Perhaps there is a high level of hormones in your water.

7. babyloveya3

babyloveya3 PetForums Junior

where are you? I can take her in as a rescue and find her a 5* home I have just re homed 2 maine coons this week to fantastic homes with breed experience.Let me know

8. tillyfloss11

Hmm..I never really thought of this!? Although I do have two other girls, and my mum has had the rescue girls and has a girl herself and there havent been any problems with them.

It is the reproductive hormones, the levels being too high causes the problem..I shall try and investigate into the water though!

Thanks! :)

9. tillyfloss11

Hi,

I have just had a call from a lady who is very interested in taking her, so I am hoping she can go there as they also have breed experience. But if It doesnt work out I will pm you, thanks for the offer!

:thumbup:

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

What's wrong exactly and how has this been diagnosed? Presumably she has not been mated yet?

Liz

11. malibu

malibu Guest

Oh no :( hope you manage to find her a loving home

12. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

That's such bad luck :( I'm a bit puzzled though. Assuming she hasn't been mated/had kittens at 9 months old, how did the problem manifest itself and how was it diagnosed?

13. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Why, because she rehomes them? That is perfectly standard practice amongst breeders. At least you don't find us making excuses that we have to rehome our 12 year old cat because we are having a baby or we are working longer hours or the new puppy upsets it.

Liz

#13 lizward, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  14. chrissielk

chrissielk PetForums Member

sorry i rescue and have hear every excuse but this is a honest one. She can't keep every cat as will be unfair to the cat and the others, As she would have to many. the cat is young and could find a loving home no problem. She is i feel being unselfish and thinking of her pets first which she shouldn't be judged badly on.

I'm so sorry it most be hard on you to give her up.

15. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

How very OTT.

She is clearly thinking about the cat's best interests.

16. tillyfloss11

First of all, you know NOTHING about me or my animals, so you are in NO place to judge me for rehoming a girl that it would be unfair on HER to keep.

But just so you do know, my cats are treated like babies, have the best of everything and I spend a fortune on them, I however, do not have to justify myself to YOU, or anyone else if I want to find my girl a loving home. This is standard practise for a lot of breeders, so I suggest before you comment, you do a little bit of research and take your childish, grammatically incorrect comments elsewhere.

Secondly, what business is it of yours anyway?!

17. tillyfloss11

To everyone else on the thread, the problem is not pregnancy related, its to do with the hormomes that cause the cat to go into call, rising (like they should do before a call) but not falling again. The mammary glands swell up causing it to be very uncomfortable for the girl, as it is like she is lying on a bag of golf balls.

It seems to be a problem that can affect cats of all ages, and we have been offered to try and treat her with hormones etc, but I dont want to be pumping her full of hormones to just see if it will work, as I dont think thats fair.

I have been honest about rehoming her, and I will only let her go to the very best home, so I am not particularly interested in silly comments from inexperienced people.

Thanks to you all for your support and wishes!:thumbup:

Honeybunch likes this.
  18. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

I think you are doing the best for your cat and Im sure you will make sure she goes to a loving new home. Im fairly new on here and I can't believe the comments some people put they are so rude.:eek: That was way over the top and you should ignore small minded people like that, thankfully this is one persons silly opinion that you can do without. Take care hope all goes well for you x

19. tillyfloss11

Thank you, dont worry, I am not affected by silly people with ill informed opinions! The majority of people on here are lovely, but you always get the odd ones!

It is a great forum for getting advice and I have been helped a few times by some lovely ladies :thumbup:

20. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I *Think* one of my girls has the same problem, she just wont mate, in full call, boy is on her but she just wont do it!

Dont listen to idiots - just block them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice