Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unknown cause of Diarrhoea - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kitarna, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Kitarna

Kitarna PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I was given a 13 year old female cat just before christmas by a relative who had kept her in a shed outdoors for the past year (I know the shed was bad but I couldn't do anything sooner).

When I got her I noticed that she had diarrhoea. I assumed it was the change of food.

After a couple of months she still had mild diarrhoea but was yowling in pain everytime she licked her bottom. I booked her in to the vets as soon as I knew it was causing her pain.

The vet said she had no idea what it was causing the problem and suggested a bloodtest as it could be something related to her age.

Blood test came back completely normal. Vet did give us some Protexin Pro Kolin to help with the diarrheoa.

Well she seemed to get a little more solid all the time we gave her the Pro Kolin, but we finished the tube and she still has diarrhoea.

It doesn't seem to be causing her pain but I feel so bad for her.

Apart from that she is a great friendly little cat.

Do you think it's worth taking her back to the vets?

Thanks, Tamsin

2. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i wud deff take her back.

even if its not painful it must be annoyin her, make sure they explore everythin. it may jst be somethin little but its better to get it checked out.

good luck

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Might be worth having her feces tested. Blood tests dont always show up everything.

4. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

Agreed,, pop her back to the vets, perhaps a 2nd opinion? What are you feeding her and what have you tried?

Although she may seem ok in herself, having diarrhoea will make her dehydrated so with this heat ensure she has plenty of cold water (my boy has a water fountain at the moment to encourage drinking in this weather) and a cool fan to pass out infront of if she wishes.

Ollie also likes ice cubes (filtered water) in a bowl so he can lick them .... and then knock them out and play with them and cause a lot of mess ..... but thats another story :)

5. Dr.Marie

Dr.Marie PetForums Member

When I see an older cat with diarrhea I usually think of either inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or intestinal lymphoma. IBD is the better of the 2 to have because lymphoma is a cancer.

Unfortunately it's hard to test for these because we would need a biopsy.

However, I will often put a cat on a low dose of steroids (which is perfectly safe) and see how things go. In either case we usually see improvement. But, if it is lymphoma the improvement is temporary.

If it's IBD the cat may need to stay on steroids for life. If it is lymphoma there are chemotherapy protocols that can help somewhat.

Dr. Marie.
    I check this forum from time to time but if you would like to talk with me now, you can reach me at www.askavetquestion.com.

6. Kitarna

Kitarna PetForums Junior

Hi,

I feed all my cats on dry biscuits. A 50:50 mix of Go Cat Complete Senior and Pets @ Home Purely Senior.

Yes she does seem to drink a lot of water - but I always make sure she has plenty of fresh water. She can also go out whenever she wants.

I will phone the vets again monday and try to get a different vet to see her.

Thanks for your help, I just want to find out whats wrong with her.

I'll keep you updated.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

She may not like the food - try her on a good quality wet that has much less grain in it (which the dry has), cats guts find it very difficultto digest grains and this could be her problem. P@H do a wet Purely.

Great name Tamsin ! lol
    Tamsin aka spid!

8. pria

pria PetForums Newbie

Hi

Would totally agree with Spid, its probably to do with the food. Hate to say it, but Go Cat has the nickname 'Gone Cat' among most cat experts. It is totally bulked out with grains and cats dont have a digestive system that can cope with grains as they are obligate carnivores (means they need to eat meat).

Have a look at this link, its by vet Lisa A. Pierson, DVM and it may explain things a bit better. http://www.catinfo.org/

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I have just changed Misty over to HiLife. She too had terrible tummy. I was advised to feed her a dry diet only which did fix her tummy but she was almost starving after having her kittens.

I tried lots of different brands and observed (from a distance) and her tummy troubles seem to be over and she is now looking great once more. Better than she did when she was only on dried food to be honest.

10. Kitarna

Kitarna PetForums Junior

I have just phoned the vets and explained about the continued diarrhoea.

They said that there isn't much point in seeing her again :confused: but I could have some more pro kolin... I also asked whether changing her food could help - they said it was worth a try but had to be done very gradually otherwise it could give her an upset stomach...( strange that as she already has diarrhoea! )

I might change my vets, but now i'm not sure what to do for the best.

Do I go with the gradual change to meat? Or get her checked again by a different vet?

I don't want to wait if it's something serious.

11. pria

pria PetForums Newbie

Different ways to look at it.

If you want to save some money, then gradually change her food to a low carb wet food over the next week and see if that helps. Avoid fish flavors as they can cause problems in some cats. Try to go for rabbit or chicken flavors.

On the other hand, if it is something thats wrong, that your present vet has missed, will you be angry at yourself for waiting before you saw a new vet.

Personnally I would try the new diet and see how it goes, as the stress of a visit to the vet isnt good either.

12. Kitarna

Kitarna PetForums Junior

Update on Jessies condition

I now feed all the cats on James Wellbeloved senior biscuits, with the odd meaty meal as a treat.

It has seemed to do the trick as Jess only has the occasional bout of diarrhoea and no longer has a sore bum.

13. macro01

macro01 PetForums Newbie

hmm, maybe the food or drink they ingest is contaminated. i am not sure though but i only buy their food on reputable sites like this one
    Pet Supplies & Coupons -

it is also because they are not yet used to the food you feed them

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Do they delivery to the UK. I am trying to get K P anti diorrhea but it's only available in America and no delivery to here, well there is but it 25 dollars for delivery for a 5 dollar item.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice